User Tag List

Page 12 of 150 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts and prayers don't seem to have done much to curb firearms violence so I'm thinking they don't really work. I'll admit to not believing in imaginary friends.

Trump didn't create this virus but he ignored it, denied it, minimized it, joked about it, called it a hoax, used it as a political cudgel and has exacerbated it; he is responsible for the increased suffering, death and economic damage that his stupidity and delay will end up causing. That will be part of the cost of the MAGA cult delusion that society will pay.

I just watched Trump say that he inherited "an obsolete and broken system" and that he's done a great job of fixing it. What a moron, and what a liar. What a monumentally stupid, narcissistic man. He and his GOP brethren have been hacking away at the foundations of our democratic institutions, and the agencies and regulations that protect public health and the environment since day one.

Trump and the GOP have been a disaster for good government and our country. Maybe read more widely, think things through and make better choices come November, 2020.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nine former directors of national intelligence wrote us a warning, it's in this morning's Washington Post. Listen up.

"The United States — and the world — faces a historic threat to its health, well-being and economy. The global covid-19 pandemic challenges all of us: the public, cities, states and, of course, the federal government. But as we collectively fight this deadly disease, the intelligence institutions that help protect us all from current and future threats are also under attack from an insidious enemy: domestic politics. We cannot let the covid-19 pandemic be a cover for the deeply destructive path being pursued by the Trump administration."

Former intelligence chiefs: Trump’s removal of experts is deeply destructive to our nation’s safety

They're calling what the president is doing to our country an "unprecedented attack". Let that sink in for a minute.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Thoughts and prayers don't seem to have done much to curb firearms violence so I'm thinking they don't really work. I'll admit to not believing in imaginary friends.

Trump didn't create this virus but he ignored it, denied it, minimized it, joked about it, called it a hoax, used it as a political cudgel and has exacerbated it; he is responsible for the increased suffering, death and economic damage that his stupidity and delay will end up causing. That will be part of the cost of the MAGA cult delusion that society will pay.

I just watched Trump say that he inherited "an obsolete and broken system" and that he's done a great job of fixing it. What a moron, and what a liar. What a monumentally stupid, narcissistic man. He and his GOP brethren have been hacking away at the foundations of our democratic institutions, and the agencies and regulations that protect public health and the environment since day one.

Trump and the GOP have been a disaster for good government and our country. Maybe read more widely, think things through and make better choices come November, 2020.
    This.

One good thing about thoughts and prayers, though - take them and $2.28 to Starbucks, and you can get a small cup of coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    They're calling what the president is doing to our country an "unprecedented attack". Let that sink in for a minute.
    Where have they been for the past three and a half years? It didn't start with Covid19 and it will not end there. Some of us have been screaming this warning for a long, long time...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has TrumpVirus(TM) shut down his nearest golf course yet? When's tee time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nine former directors of national intelligence wrote us a warning, it's in this morning's Washington Post. Listen up.

"The United States — and the world — faces a historic threat to its health, well-being and economy. The global covid-19 pandemic challenges all of us: the public, cities, states and, of course, the federal government. But as we collectively fight this deadly disease, the intelligence institutions that help protect us all from current and future threats are also under attack from an insidious enemy: domestic politics. We cannot let the covid-19 pandemic be a cover for the deeply destructive path being pursued by the Trump administration."

Former intelligence chiefs: Trump’s removal of experts is deeply destructive to our nation’s safety

dont worry about it, him and bluebird are having coffee and talking economy, everythings fine!!!! they know more combined than those fake deep state former intelligence officials, oxymoron if ever i heard one.

sorry, im not very good at being obtuse, im not sure how some continue the charade of trump support. shambolic
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Where have they been for the past three and a half years? It didn't start with Covid19 and it will not end there. Some of us have been screaming this warning for a long, long time...
    i think they were somewhere saying:
    "nobody thought healthcare would be so hard", and then they laughed and moved on to their favorite game, "what environmental protection can we remove today" to "free up business".
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The pushback from within public health on social distancing has begun: Opinion | Is Our Fight Against Coronavirus Worse Than the Disease? - The New York Times

The basic points aren't shocking: we don't know how well it will work; it's likely not the most efficient method of protecting the vulnerable; and there are huge economic costs that will become political and health costs in the future.

I'd amplify his concerns by adding that we're asking some of the least well off in our society (service workers who tend to skew young and/or black or brown) to bear these burdens. That should, I think, at least give us pause about this approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since this is a politics thread, here goes. I realise that 55% of your compatriots approve of his handling the pandemic, but shouldn't it actually be an impeachable offence if not a criminal offence?

Obviously, it's a rhetorical question, but I can't possibly be the only one thinking it.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Since this is a politics thread, here goes. I realise that 55% of your compatriots approve of his handling the pandemic, but shouldn't it actually be an impeachable offence if not a criminal offence?

Obviously, it's a rhetorical question, but I can't possibly be the only one thinking it.
    I agree. I posted a page back that I think this behavior is criminal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Speaker Pelosi and others can certainly commence new impeachment proceedings against President Trump.
    Give it a try. We will see how well that goes over with the American public during these pivotal times.

President Trump has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Rivaling what President Lincoln faced earlier.
    Americans wish him godspeed in aligning all the strengths and capabilities of this nation to defeat this virus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In putting so much fault on Trump himself, let's not lose sight of the fact that he is more of a symptom than a cause of the anti-expertise sentiment that has been growing in this country. Social media has enabled the widespread distrust of science, expertise, and education, and Trump has tapped into that very effectively. Blowing off the experts in the early stages of this crisis was a political move that only made sense because of who we've become as a nation. Sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    ...we're asking some of the least well off in our society (service workers who tend to skew young and/or black or brown) to bear these burdens. That should, I think, at least give us pause about this approach.
    No surprise that once again Gen Xers, millenials and Gen Z are being sacrificed at the altar of the almighty Boomers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Speaker Pelosi and others can certainly commence new impeachment proceedings against President Trump.
    Give it a try. We will see how well that goes over with the American public during these pivotal times.

President Trump has the weight of the world on his shoulders. Rivaling what President Lincoln faced earlier.
    Americans wish him godspeed in aligning all the strengths and capabilities of this nation to defeat this virus.
    Where do you get this stuff? Comparing Trump to Lincoln is almost funny. 2% of Americans died in the Civil war. Many who survived were maimed and injured for life. It was skewed to men in their prime years. This is not the case here. 2% of Americans will not die in even the most aggressive forecasts.

I am sure America survives. I hope the administration is successful in slowing the virus in the next 15 days (day 6 BTW). I think everyone on this forum wants to see this thing through. But your jingoism is often contrary to facts and science. Give it a rest please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    "...Give it a rest please..."
    No thank you. I shall continue to share my viewpoints, thoughts, opinions, and ideas.
    People here criticize my love for Campagnolo equipment, yet I continue to show my support, too!

President Lincoln had the remarkable stress of seeking to unite a young country where Americans were killing Americans.
    Now about 160 years later, President Trump is coordinating forces to fight an invisible deadly enemy measured in microns.

This is the biggest challenge our globe has faced in many years. Certainly in our lifetimes.
    The entire nation and the entire globe wishes godspeed to President Trump with this effort.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    No thank you. I shall continue to share my viewpoints, thoughts, opinions, and ideas.
    People here criticize my love for Campagnolo equipment, yet I continue to show my support, too!

President Lincoln had the remarkable stress of seeking to unite a young country where Americans were killing Americans.
    Now about 160 years later, President Trump is coordinating forces to fight an invisible deadly enemy measured in microns.

This is the biggest challenge our globe has faced in many years. Certainly in our lifetimes.
    The entire nation and the entire globe wishes godspeed to President Trump with this effort.
    Biggest threat we face is nuclear holocaust/ full stop.

and I did say Please.

Will you at least acknowledge that the 2% of men in there prime is worse + many maimed for life than the forecasts for covid19?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Biggest threat we face is nuclear holocaust/ full stop.

and I did say Please.

Will you at least acknowledge that the 2% of men in there prime is worse + many maimed for life than the forecasts for covid19?
    Your considered, rationale, polite tone is admirable. While I appreciate your approach, I prefer to treat Trumpers like anti-vaxxers. I only engage those who are on the fence and willing to listen to reason. Those locked into their ideologies are far less likely to listen. Here’s a good perspective: How to Talk to Anti-Vaxxers

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver