User Tag List

Page 116 of 150 FirstFirst ... 106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

How did the racially-biased effects of COVID-19 color the US government’s response?
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    How did the racially-biased effects of COVID-19 color the US government’s response?
    Well, since we know Trump only cares about campaigning for his base and not governing his constituents, this chart should tell you all you need to know about who he cares about and who he doesn't. It's hard to imagine Trump caring much for a demographic that gave him 6% of their support.

"I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you should be asking, “how did the racially biased government response color the effects of Covid-19?”
    The disparities in both infections and in outcomes are a reflection of racism, not something inherent.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    I think you should be asking, “how did the racially biased government response color the effects of Covid-19?”
    The disparities in both infections and in outcomes are a reflection of racism, not something inherent.
    This. While I think it's likely too early to rule out some kind of genetic predisposition to bad Covid-19 responses for African Americans (there are other health issues they are predisposed to), poverty and wealth inequality are probably driving most of the disparity here.

The poor are more likely to be at risk from this and minority populations are more likely to fall into that category. If they work they're more likely to have a job that involves regular contact with the general public which raises the risk of infection. Because of food and healthcare access issues they're more likely to have a pre-existing condition that serves as a risk factor. There are also testing access issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    While that’s also a valid question, there is no question that a racially-biased economic and healthcare landscape existed before the current virus arrived. Viruses. The disease and the current administration.

My question could be rephrased to say “How did the racially-biased effects of COVID-19 color Republicans’ responses?”

Because it’s not just who’s in the White House right now. Plenty of governors seem to be doing a bang-up job too.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 07-12-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plenty of blame to go around. Use as a broad brush as you need...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Pew Research graphic makes me wonder how access to trade schools, as an alternative to traditional colleges and universities, might affect voting and other social issues. Aside from the value of the trades, any continuing education is a chance to gain personal experience with the world beyond high school and hometown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California
    cali.jpeg
    Texas
    tex.jpg
    Florida
    flo.jpeg
    Georgia
    geo.jpeg
    Arizona
    az.jpeg

Asking the most exposed group (occupationally, socioeconomically) in the US to remove itself from a critical support structure for more than 3 months, especially after world historic (epidemiologically sanctioned) protests in which they have a direct stake. Good luck with that.

As this person said below #familyiseverything
    meo.jpeg

puropartee.jpeg

Broken record post:
    Inequality Fueled COVID-19 Transmission in San Francisco’s Mission District, Says New Study | UC San Francisco

For the stubborn black/white binary analysis
    loui.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While that’s also a valid question, there is no question that a racially-biased economic and healthcare landscape existed before the current virus arrived. Viruses. The disease and the current administration.

My question could be rephrased to say “How did the racially-biased effects of COVID-19 color Republicans’ responses?”

Because it’s not just who’s in the White House right now. Plenty of governors seem to be doing a bang-up job too.
    If you look at the CDC paper on meat processing. The first issue is these are poor workers and many times new immigrants.
    61% of workers are minorities, while 87% of the infected were minorities. Yet, the Federal Government weighed in and said these processing plants were critical infrastructure and must stay open.
    Did that come with aid for testing , gov ppe or maybe some some other specific guidelines to keep people safer?

No, these are poor workers and the meat in Trump's taco bowl is more important to him.
    That's just how this plays.

The poor must die so the economy may live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137,000 dead and hopeless case goes off and plays golf.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you look at the CDC paper on meat processing. The first issue is these are poor workers and many times new immigrants.
    61% of workers are minorities, while 87% of the infected were minorities. Yet, the Federal Government weighed in and said these processing plants were critical infrastructure and must stay open.
    Did that come with aid for testing , gov ppe or maybe some some other specific guidelines to keep people safer?

No, these are poor workers and the meat in Trump's taco bowl is more important to him.
    That's just how this plays.

The poor must die so the economy may live.
    You know the crazy thing about this? I remember when meat processing plants were places where people worked their entire lives making a good living, a respectable career with medical plans and paid vacation. They had a good union that kept them safe and healthy.

I remember as young, wet behind the ears student getting sent out to a plant that was a client. Doing our work their.

You went to the cafeteria (yup) for coffee or Lunch and guys from the floor were there, they were happy and smiling and laughing, talking about their weekends, or vacation plans or ...

I don’t think they are like that anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    You know the crazy thing about this? I remember when meat processing plants were places where people worked their entire lives making a good living, a respectable career with medical plans and paid vacation. They had a good union that kept them safe and healthy.

I remember as young, wet behind the ears student getting sent out to a plant that was a client. Doing our work their.

You went to the cafeteria (yup) for coffee or Lunch and guys from the floor were there, they were happy and smiling and laughing, talking about their weekends, or vacation plans or ...

I don’t think they are like that anymore.
    Union busting. Infected brains flying all over the place. It's fun!
    The Spam Factory’s Dirty Secret – Mother Jones

Spam, spam, spam, spam, spam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fox View Post
    What kind of Mickey Mouse state? It's a state just like the original Mickey Mouse state, California. Which, by the way, is a raging corona shithole, too. Except Cali is governed by a liberal glamour-boy, so I don't blame you if you hadn't heard about it. The 'rona don't give a fuck who your guv is.
    California isn't actually as much of a raging Rona shit hole as the southeastern states. We have large overall numbers simply because the population of CA is equal to NY and FL combined. But when you look at the data in a more meaningful way-- for example, the top 100 counties for new cases per capita over the last week, almost all of them are from eastern TX to FL. Only one is in CA, and it's Imperial county, an agricultural area on the Mexican border. The virus is finding a new home where people aren't taking precautions, and that correlates with places where young people congregate and rural conservatives live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    Only one is in CA, and it's Imperial county, an agricultural area on the Mexican border. The virus is finding a new home where people aren't taking precautions, and that correlates with places where young people congregate and rural conservatives live.
    Or where people living below the poverty line with little to know social services are forced to work in close proximity to eachother......and I'm guessing that's what's going on in Imperial County........but that's a guess. It is also not so far from AZ, which is a hot mess (literally).
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bcm119 View Post
    California isn't actually as much of a raging Rona shit hole as the southeastern states. We have large overall numbers simply because the population of CA is equal to NY and FL combined.
    LA County 10M Residents, 134K cases, 1.3M tested
    LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES
    For Immediate Release:
    July 07, 2020
    L.A. County Sees Highest Number of New Cases of COVID-19 Partly Due to Backlog of Test Results, Hospitalizations Steadily Increase - 46 New Deaths and 4,015 New Cases of Confirmed COVID-19 in Los Angeles County

July 11, 2020
    LA County Seeing High Number of Positive Cases and Deaths: 57 New Deaths and 2,916 New Cases of Confirmed COVID-19 in Los Angeles County

July 12, 2020
    LA County Reports High Number of Positive Cases: 18 New Deaths and 3,322 New Cases of Confirmed COVID-19 in Los Angeles County
    The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health (Public Health) has confirmed 18 new deaths and 3,322 new cases of COVID-19. To date, Public Health has identified 133,549 positive cases of COVID-19 across all areas of LA County, and a total of 3,809 deaths.

Georgia, 10M residents, 117K Cases
    COVID-19 Status Report | Georgia Department of Public Health

LA Co's R-eff has risen to 1.1, statewide it's 1.4
    CalCAT

Oregon, 4.2M residents, 12,170 cases
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/oregon/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of raw numbers, if the Covid19 infection growth situation was a Formula 1 race, the battle to watch would be for third place. Florida and Texas have been going at hammer and tongs for a week or so, passing and being re-passed daily. It would be an exciting race...passing on the outside, exhilarating braking wars, nipping under the other guy and then being re-passed while going through the esses; everything imaginable. Too bad it's part of a deadly pandemic that in the USA got a green light from the git-go and is getting completely out of hand due to a President and a small band of GOP politicians who have been demonstrating every vile and destructive type of human behaviour that's ever been catalogued.

Personally, I usually get around to admitting that I was wrong when I eff up; but somehow I just don't see our sicko President, Florida's mini-prez governor or the rest of the GOP cabal doing anything remotely similar.

GO TEAM....WE'RE #1 !
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And while everyone has been transfixed by the battle between Florida and Texas, lowly Arizona has snuck Paxton the inside and taken a 1lap lead.

The crowd are asking “who is that?” ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

haven't been following this thread lately, although my heart is mostly well-represented here, but here is another victim of the virus. I never actually got to go there. It was too busy in its heyday, weird reservations, yada, yada. Anyway, K-Paul's--the restaurant that put Cajun food on the American culinary map--is no more.

K-Paul'''s, Historic New Orleans Restaurant, Closes | Food & Wine
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    And while everyone has been transfixed by the battle between Florida and Texas, lowly Arizona has snuck Paxton the inside and taken a 1lap lead.

The crowd are asking “who is that?” ...
    As of today I think Florida has a turn or two on Texas. Looks to me like we'll be able to reel Cali in before long. I should send congratulatory notes to Trump and Governor DeSantis for their stellar work!

That Trump is so obviously corrosive isn't surprising, or actually the most important reality; it's the mute but equally corrosive commentary made by the fact that a meaningful percentage of the population still supports him.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)