User Tag List

Page 115 of 150 FirstFirst ... 105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125 ... LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I think his odds of winning are much higher than the media reports. So zero chance he quits.

The mail-in voter fraud of 20% tweets are there to serve a purpose.
    I don't think he actually wants to win. the voter fraud stuff is to give cover if he loses. Trump isn't going anywhere. If he loses the election expect him and his family members to launch some kind of a political media company.

that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he bails after the convention. "the system is rigged. I'm not going to play ball anymore."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I don't think he actually wants to win. the voter fraud stuff is to give cover if he loses. Trump isn't going anywhere. If he loses the election expect him and his family members to launch some kind of a political media company.

that said, I wouldn't be surprised if he bails after the convention. "the system is rigged. I'm not going to play ball anymore."
    I get the feeling the immunity--or, at least, the tactic of claiming it and using procedure to slow the roll of people who want to hold him accountable--is pretty attractive.

Until he figures out how to cut and run from accountability, as he's done his entire life.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Quits? There is ZERO chance he loses! Remember Nancy Pelosi tore up a copy of the State of the Union address on LIVE nationwide television!! That was the death knell for any candidate of the Democrat party right then and there. End of story! And Joe is.. um...sleepy or something. Also, BREAKING NEWS! The 'resident says he has just aced a cognitive test at Walter Reed in front of doctors and they said it was an unbelievable thing.
    Legend says he scored 12/10, the highest score in the history of the test.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^^

Just so we're clear. That type of "cognitive test" is to ensure that the person taking the test isn't dementing (or suffering some other neurodegenerative disorder) or experiencing delirium. It has a low floor - and a very low ceiling. Unless you're really impaired, you'll get 100% correct. These tests don't measure intelligence, they measure mental status and level of consciousness.

It is not a measure of intelligence -however defined- like a Wechsler, a Woodcock, or a Stanford-Binet.

Two completely different constructs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quits? There is ZERO chance he loses! Remember Nancy Pelosi tore up a copy of the State of the Union address on LIVE nationwide television!! That was the death knell for any candidate of the Democrat party right then and there. End of story! And Joe is.. um...sleepy or something. Also, BREAKING NEWS! The 'resident says he has just aced a cognitive test at Walter Reed in front of doctors and they said it was an unbelievable thing.
    Son of Blue Jay?
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wikipedia:

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the views being parodied

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Wikipedia:

Poe's law is an adage of Internet culture stating that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, it is impossible to create a parody of extreme views so obviously exaggerated that it cannot be mistaken by some readers for a sincere expression of the views being parodied
    I suppose it is necessary at times.
    /S

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    ^^^^

Just so we're clear. That type of "cognitive test" is to ensure that the person taking the test isn't dementing (or suffering some other neurodegenerative disorder) or experiencing delirium. It has a low floor - and a very low ceiling. Unless you're really impaired, you'll get 100% correct. These tests don't measure intelligence, they measure mental status and level of consciousness.

It is not a measure of intelligence -however defined- like a Wechsler, a Woodcock, or a Stanford-Binet.

Two completely different constructs.
    Don't sully the legend of the 12/10 test score with your facts! Nobody else in history has ever gotten extra credit for being that non-demented.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Florida Covid response. 11,433 new cases today. It looks like the governor who didn't want to monkey things up, hosted the 'resident today for more virus spreading. What kind of Mickey Mouse state is this anyway? Oh, I guess we'll find out more in a couple weeks with Disney opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

News item: A 30 year old who attended a COVID party died. His last words:
    "I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not."

“We are winning the war. We have areas that flamed up and they’re going to be fine over a period of time. It flared up in areas where they thought it was ending, and that would be Florida, Texas, a couple of other places. They’re going to have it under control very quickly.” *resident. 7/10/20

"PPE supplies remain “very strong” but the Trump administration will be encouraging healthcare workers “to use some of the best practices” to “preserve and reuse” face masks and other protective equipment. Vice *resident 7/6/20

The year of magical thinking continues. Gaslighting from the gasbags.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coronavirus claims 34-year-old Vancouver man - Columbian.com

The coronavirus pandemic’s latest Clark County victim was a young man in the midst of planning a wedding and buying his first house.

Danh Tran, 34, had been recovering at home in Vancouver after falling ill. He died of COVID-19 on Tuesday, according to the Clark County Medical Examiner. That marked the 30th such death in Clark County since March.

“It’s hard to comprehend or even grasp,” said Mark Woodford, who had been Tran’s friend since their days at McLoughlin Middle School. “I’m supposed to be standing next him as he marries his best friend. I can’t even stand next to him to bury him. And people want to be mad about having to wear a mask.”

------

Clark County is Vancouver, WA - across the river from Portland.

Young man with no pre-existing conditions.

RIP.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Florida Covid response. 11,433 new cases today. It looks like the governor who didn't want to monkey things up, hosted the 'resident today for more virus spreading. What kind of Mickey Mouse state is this anyway? Oh, I guess we'll find out more in a couple weeks with Disney opening.
    What kind of Mickey Mouse state? It's a state just like the original Mickey Mouse state, California. Which, by the way, is a raging corona shithole, too. Except Cali is governed by a liberal glamour-boy, so I don't blame you if you hadn't heard about it. The 'rona don't give a fuck who your guv is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I grew up in CA. The governor closed the state early with good results. Unlike FL.

This isn't a competition.

But I came here to post this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d/?arc404=true
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I grew up in CA. The governor closed the state early with good results. Unlike FL.

This isn't a competition.

But I came here to post this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...d/?arc404=true
    Exactly the point of my post, it's not a competition. I have no political axe to grind, but the outrage targeted at 'red' states is misguided and politically motivated. California did act early, and had good early results, but is currently suffering absolutely shit results. They are a raging corona hot spot, just like Florida, Arizona, and Texas. Like I wrote before, I don't blame anyone for not knowing that, as it's not being widely reported.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems in all of these states re-opening of bars was a bridge too far. I am sure NYC and London are not far behind now for a second wave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    It seems in all of these states re-opening of bars was a bridge too far. I am sure NYC and London are not far behind now for a second wave.
    Agree on the bars. My issue with bars is this; young bar-going folks can still have fun and socialize without going to bars. They can have parties with friends they either know or hope, are healthy. It's an easily substitutable experience. There is an ocean of things not so easily substitutable (K-12 school, college, youth sports, etc) that are being jeopardized by something that is far from essential.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fox View Post
    Agree on the bars. My issue with bars is this; young bar-going folks can still have fun and socialize without going to bars. They can have parties with friends they either know or hope, are healthy. .
    Still hard to get testing where I am (near san diego) if you are asymptomatic. Hard to see how young folks socializing can be really be safe without that knowledge--those young people leave and interact with others.

However, months ago, in late March, I was getting take-out; and there was a group of about 7-8 cars in a circle n an otherwise empty lo: lawn chairs set up, blasting music, everyone looked to be 18-24--and IF they stayed on the chairs, it was a good way to hang out and be safe.

Just walking my neighborhood I've seen some backyard parties that can only risk spreading, although there is a lesser chance with being close to others when outdoors, you do it long enough, or chat by the fridge or the bathroom enough, the virus will likely be waiting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Fox View Post
    Exactly the point of my post, it's not a competition. I have no political axe to grind, but the outrage targeted at 'red' states is misguided and politically motivated. California did act early, and had good early results, but is currently suffering absolutely shit results. They are a raging corona hot spot, just like Florida, Arizona, and Texas. Like I wrote before, I don't blame anyone for not knowing that, as it's not being widely reported.
    2020. Coronavirus, race. Race, coronavirus. Except in California (and likely Arizona, Texas and Georgia), it's coronavirus, race, coronavirus brown race (not really a race but who's into specificity here). Based on my social media feeds and the posts here, I don't think many people want to talk about the variability of this epidemic. It's a one size fits all narrative. But what if it's not? And what if half of the population of New Zealand or South Korea or Taiwan were a disenfranchised ethnic group. You heard it here first.

It's tough to understand exploited peoples. I'll post pics later.

LISTING OF DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH PRESS RELEASES

Public Health Orders Continued Closure of Garment Manufacturer After More than 300 COVID-19 Employee Cases and Four COVID-19 Employee Deaths
    Public Health Steps Up Enforcement of Orders in Manufacturing Sector as Crisis Continues to Grow

https://losangelesapparel.net/

1. We Are Passionate About
    Doing Things Differently
    We are contrarians, deeply focused on sustainability and efficiency in order to advance the interests of our customers, our workers, our shareholders, the community, and the world.

2. Living Wages
    We strive to pay our workers a living wage and we support the fight for $15 an hour.

And on....

To hide Covid-19 cases they solicited new hires on Instagram. Post is gone.
    Los Angeles Apparel (@losangelesapparel) • Instagram photos and videos

Coronavirus outbreaks hits Farmer John, 8 other plants in Vernon - Los Angeles Times

Though Vernon has just a few dozen residents and is almost exclusively industrial, workers who have contracted the virus in the city just south of Los Angeles could spread it in their own (nearly 100% brown, -ed me) communities, the county warned. On Sunday, health officials reported 940 new cases of the novel coronavirus and 14 related deaths countywide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The same thing is happening in the UK town of Leicester which went into a second lockdown which is linked to the exploited immigrant workers in the garment factories.

Boohoo booms as Leicester garment factories are linked to lockdown | UK news | The Guardian

Boohoo ‘facing modern slavery investigation’ after report finds Leicester workers paid as little as PS3.5 an hour | The Independent

Who owns Boohoo and why is there a boycott?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you recall, earlier in the year, the meat processing plants were the center of outbreaks in Missouri and South Dakota.

CDC releases COVID-19 data on America's meat processing plants

Update: COVID-19 Among Workers in Meat and Poultry Processing Facilities ― United States, April–May 22 | MMWR

At least the CDC is investigating even if no one else in Federal Gov cares to enforce rules.

Generally, 'FAST' fashion is pretty bad when it comes to exploiting people and polluting the environment. Just go to the sweatshops in southeast Asia and India.
    We might as well add 'FAST' food, since I am sure that is where some of the demand for the meat processing and stuff is coming from. Cheap and quick...

And while we add it, 'FAST' delivery options like Amazon, are probably pretty good at exploiting workers too.

Disruption and Convenience is generally built on exploitation of others. You just have to look for it, but the other important convenience is 'outta sight, outta mind' and don't think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Covid-19 coronavirus led to more Black deaths because of housing discrimination - Vox

"One thing hasn’t changed as a new surge of coronavirus cases has swelled across the United States: Black Americans continue to disproportionately get infected by and die from this novel pathogen.

The Los Angeles County health department reported this week that Black residents were dying at twice the rate its white residents were. The same is true of Black Alabamans. In Florida, Black people account for a higher share of Covid-19 hospitalizations and deaths than their share of the population.

The George Floyd protests forced a difficult conversation about the trade-offs of congregating in large groups during a pandemic and the urgency of fixing structural inequities. But more than a month later, there is little evidence the protests contributed to a significant acceleration of the coronavirus’s spread. The health consequences of US inequality, however, are still being felt by Black (and Hispanic and Native) Americans during the worst pandemic of our lifetimes.

Health disparities predate Covid-19, of course, as Jamila Taylor recently reviewed for the Century Foundation: Black Americans live shorter lives than white Americans, they have higher rates of chronic disease, they report worse mental health, they have less health care access, etc.

“Whether it’s from violence in the street or violence in the health care system, Black Americans have been dying for not just the last three months but the last three centuries,” Utibe Essien, a practicing physician who teaches at the University of Pittsburgh’s medical school, told me.

Let’s start with the obvious problem: interpersonal racism, whether tacit or explicit, directly harms Black people’s health. So does the distrust it has created between Black Americans and American institutions. This problem goes back centuries: US slaves were experimented on, and more recently, there are horrifying stories like the Tuskegee syphilis experiment. Numerous studies, some of them conducted as recently as 2016, have foundBlack people were less likely to be given pain medication in an emergency department.

And in the middle of the Covid-19 crisis, a new report found that Black people who reported Covid-like symptoms — namely, fever and cough — were less likely to be given a test for the virus compared to white people with the same symptoms. In all these ways, internalized and interpersonal racism lead to worse health outcomes for Black Americans.

But structural racism is also usually, and correctly, proposed as a critical explanation for these inequities.

After speaking last month with half a dozen Black scholars, I came to believe the best place to start in understanding how structural racism breeds racial health disparities is residential segregation. Where a person lives has direct health effects and, maybe as importantly, it will situate them for economic success or failure for the rest of their lives — which we also know is an important determinant for health.

This analysis isn’t meant to be comprehensive. That would require a whole book. But if you want to better understand how structural racism translates to the health disparities that have left Black Americans prone to Covid-19, those factors should be a good place to start."
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver