User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Any Sauna enthusiasts/experts here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any Sauna enthusiasts/experts here?

So I am the proud new owner of a sauna. It's not a new one, and its one of those infrared jobbies. Something like this should be simple, but it came with zero paperwork and the internet is a dead end - the one I bought is NOS, but likely from as early as the 90s as it predates a website address and the phone number is a dead end.

I managed to disassemble, move and reassemble it successfully, and it starts up and gets warm, but I have a feeling it's not running at full clip. Anybody here used to dabble in these things?

My initial operating questions are the three modes - celerant presumably meaning "quickly" in this case? I'll eventually trial and error it, but it sure would be nice to know I'm not doing anything boneheaded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any Sauna enthusiasts/experts here?

My experience, N of 1, is that it didn't get that hot even on full blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, if you just walk into it, the ambient room temp does not feel sauna-like (traditional sauna that is) but I've done two sessions now and the heat from the panels does cause a good sweat. I have $360 and one Saturday invested into it, so I'm still feeling pretty good about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just put a small (2-person) steam sauna in our garage, which is more like a finished 20 x 15 studio at this point. It gets super hot. Wife happy. Cost was about 10x of yours, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked out FixMySauna.com?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Have you checked out FixMySauna.com?
    yup. Fortunately my control board still functions, but I have them bookmarked for down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cant't help with your unit but we did just add a Sauna in the back yard. 8x8 with an electric heater. Shan ge up taking Sauna's and she has waited patiently. The only thing I wish we would have caught is the ceiling is too high. 7' would be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after 6+ months, the review is "meh", but with only $300 invested I'm probably ahead. I have learned that yes, the thing is 20 years old, replacement parts (other than the thermal overload breakers) don't exist and the infrared sauna experience is only about 40-50% of the sauna experience that I'm into.

Problems:
    The part of the power supply board that triggers the cooling fan to run every ten minutes crapped the bed after about a month. Since it's inside, I removed the cover and use an external fan to cool it, so no biggy.

One of the celerant heater modules stopped working (these 500W elements were apparently were an early attempt to heat up the space before entering, but they got too hot, people burned themselves and they are no longer made or used). Replacing them with traditional ceramic infrared elements is 3x what I paid for the whole thing.

Yes, you do build up a sweat, and the electrical use is undetectable on the monthly bill. I'm not putting any more money into it as an infrared unit though, and on the lookout for a traditional electric sauna stove and I'll probably end up stripping the current heaters and electronics, insulating the interior and converting it to a more conventional unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@rmplum That sounds like an excellent idea.

I wonder if there are plans for this sort of conversion online? Seems like a worthwhile task, as the three buddies I have currently working on sauna projects are talking 4-6k DIYing it with kits from Canada. If you could retrofit the infrared structure somehow, I bet you'd save a bundle. You'll basically have to pull it apart and vapor seal and insulate it, but I don't see why it can't be done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup, pull out the infrared heaters and wiring
    Seal those openings, add vapor barrier, insulation and heater.

$600 plus or minus for a heater based on my volume, 220V power supply plus the other stuff above. Doesn't seem too out of reach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Yup, pull out the infrared heaters and wiring
    Seal those openings, add vapor barrier, insulation and heater.

$600 plus or minus for a heater based on my volume, 220V power supply plus the other stuff above. Doesn't seem too out of reach.
    The only thing I can think of to check before taking it on is making sure there aren't any unsafe (for high temps) materials inside since an infrared sauna isn't designed for heat. No paint or plastics, and you might want to check the seal on the door. Is all glass safe up to 250 degrees or so?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Let’s talk saunas

So we’re in hunker down mode and decided on adding a sauna to our property. Outdoor, wood burning. We’re down to a barrel style complete build delivered, or designing and building our own(not barrel style). I’ve got the skill set to complete the project. The pre-built unit would be here in a month and they set it up. I don’t think I can complete it on my own in that timeframe. Pressure is on though as we cancel travel plans and work takes over in a greater way with COVID. Barrel style is way cool and mine would likely be more mundane, but modern in aesthetic. Post ride, snowshoe, ski, etc sauna at home is alright. We have 2 close friends with saunas, but can’t use them very well lately. They say build, my smarter side(spouse) says buy pre-built.

Here’s what we are looking at-
    https://www.sisu-saunas.com/images/s...radski-010.jpg

What kind of experiences have you had with sauna?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let’s talk saunas

maybe move it here so everything is in one place

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ere-54265.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Let’s talk saunas

Good idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we’re in hunker down mode and decided on adding a sauna to our property. Outdoor, wood burning. We’re down to a barrel style complete build delivered, or designing and building our own(not barrel style). I’ve got the skill set to complete the project. The pre-built unit would be here in a month and they set it up. I don’t think I can complete it on my own in that timeframe. Pressure is on though as we cancel travel plans and work takes over in a greater way with COVID. Barrel style is way cool and mine would likely be more mundane, but modern in aesthetic. Post ride, snowshoe, ski, etc sauna at home is alright. We have 2 close friends with saunas, but can’t use them very well lately. They say build, my smarter side(spouse) says buy pre-built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very cool. If you build it please post pictures here. My buddy Justin built his own wood fired sauna over the spring and summer and I wish there was somewhere online he had documented it, because it's super cool.

A barrel sauna is definitely on my WANT list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Threads merged, duplicates included. Below is the linked image from above. Carry on sauna seekers.

Last edited by j44ke; 11-17-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post

My brother is waiting on delivery of a barrel, ETA next week. Pros for him were that it would come in fully assembled, and that it could be moved fairly easily since they're thinking about moving in the near future.

Cons to the barrel are that the interior space is a little awkward, and it definitely looks like a barrel sauna sitting in your yard 365 days a year.

If you build something, you can add whatever features you want and finish it to match your house/garage/garden shed.

I'll report back once I've broken my brothers new barrel in. His is coming from somewhere directly in Canada; let me know if you want their contact info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Going with our own build. 2x6 cedar “ribs” with 24” framed 2x4 walls in between (it’s in my head well). 5x7 interior with about 560 cu ft. Room for 4. (Not to scale)

88377044-B6B9-4262-AA47-8C8E2DBD7B0C.jpeg

Initial wood supply

640BDCC2-FDA4-4E86-8BFA-5A94BC45AC07.jpeg

AB8271BE-CB76-46FE-9B1E-4BB4FE469840.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about a sauna but I do like the idea of a Japanese soaking tub. Used to ogle the stock tank + wood fired heater sets featured in my favorite Orcas Island store.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast