User Tag List

Thread: Titanium Fat a thing of the past?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Titanium Fat a thing of the past?

Hi everyone,

I'm an aerospace welder by career. What started as a desire to build bicycles turned out to be a career building things related to jet engines but I'm slowly progressing toward building some bikes in my free time.

It seems like the big titanium builders have all but abandoned Ti for fatbikes and I'm wondering if it's because there's a lack of demand or is Carbon that much better for the application. I haven't been able to ride a Ti fatbike and I wanted a chance before I build one. My question is, is it worth pursuing a Ti Fat Frame or should I abandon this and focus on another project and just accept carbon for fat?

Thanks,
    Ryan Noir

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Titanium Fat a thing of the past?

Sorry. I was told to add my last name. It appears the edit button is gone from the first post.

My name is Ryan Noir. I'm in Connecticut, USA. Hi everyone.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thicket Workshop View Post
    Sorry. I was told to add my last name. It appears the edit button is gone from the first post.

My name is Ryan Noir. I'm in Connecticut, USA. Hi everyone.
    Fixed.
    Thank you Ryan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thicket Workshop View Post
    ... is it worth pursuing a Ti Fat Frame or should I abandon this and focus on another project and just accept carbon for fat?
    Depends on how much your desires are worth
    If you want a fat bike ti, build it and don't give a shit about what the world does or whatever seems to be the trend. Otherwise you might end up building a wireless electronic carbon aero endurance road whatever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amaro Bikes View Post
    Depends on how much your desires are worth
    If you want a fat bike ti, build it and don't give a shit about what the world does or whatever seems to be the trend. Otherwise you might end up building a wireless electronic carbon aero endurance road whatever.
    Thanks for posting. I appreciate that point.

I guess it's a two part issue. 1) I can build myself one and see how it is, and compare it to a carbon bike, and that'd be a good comparison. but 2) if everyone else has already figured out there's no reason for anyone to focus on Ti Fat since Carbon has won that battle for x, y, or z reason, I'd just like to get an idea why before I decide to put a great deal of effort into determining that for myself.

It's definitely possible it's just a "trend" problem and in general, people just aren't buying Ti Fat bikes so builders aren't advertising them because they're more of a pain to build and all that. But I was mostly just wondering if it's more a "carbon beat Ti" problem than a trend problem.

Ryan Noir

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to Kris at 44 Bikes. He builds steel and Ti Fat and plus bikes... And he is a wonderful guy...

44 Bikes – MADE TO SHRED™
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't speak for production builders, but the desire for fat bikes in general seems to have slowed considerably over the past three years...though I did deliver one a few months ago (a ti one at that.) I don't think it's an issue of titanium not being as desirable as carbon for the application, I think people caught on that for non snow or sand use, plus tires are generally better for all-round use and the faster you go, you need skinnier tires still for them to hold up in corners.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    I can't speak for production builders, but the desire for fat bikes in general seems to have slowed considerably over the past three years...though I did deliver one a few months ago (a ti one at that.) I don't think it's an issue of titanium not being as desirable as carbon for the application, I think people caught on that for non snow or sand use, plus tires are generally better for all-round use and the faster you go, you need skinnier tires still for them to hold up in corners.
    That's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Talk to Kris at 44 Bikes. He builds steel and Ti Fat and plus bikes... And he is a wonderful guy...

44 Bikes – MADE TO SHRED™

Thanks

Ryan Noir