User Tag List

Thread: Flux question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flux question

Practicing fillets, this fillet is mine but I see the same reddish hue/color on some pics the pros post. On another forum it was suggested it might be a bit of overheating and copper beginning to pull out, thought I'd post the same question here. Could it have to do with the flame being carburizing or reducing? Input appreciated, as always.

thanks, Brian

The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flux question

Work hot. Work fast. It's all practice.

The picture is only a small example of what happens with the human experience.
    If you want all of these to look textbook perfect, it'll take a programmed machine.

That said, the radius of those brass sections isn't consistent, but at least you can file it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    .. It's all practice...
    Yeah I understand that, well aware of the radius issue, still curious regarding the color.
    I'm not concerned with or care about textbook results at this point, just trying to learn/understand how the brass works/flows. NCAA Division 1 basketball player, practice, practice, practice. Six yrs as an owner/artist/operator of a glassblowing studio, practice, practice, practice, was learning every time I gathered the glass. "The more you learn the less you know".

Below is practice(fillets and running beads) over the last 3-4 weeks, a few a day on most days.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Yeah I understand that, well aware of the radius issue, still curious regarding the color.
    I'm not concerned with textbook results at this point, just trying to learn how the brass works/flows. Six yrs as an owner/artist/operator of a glassblowing studio, practice, practice, practice, was learning every time I gathered the glass.

Below is practice(and running beads) over the last 3-4 weeks, a few a day on most days.

Ya I saw these over there.

And an FYI whenever I try to teach someone something through 1s and 0s, something that cannot possibly be taught, I summon up two ploys. My mother was a career educator starting as a pre-vocational girls director, then a teacher, and then a vice principal, and later a principal. After she retired, the state Board of Ed hired her to mentor others who might some day become principals on their own. In reading all the notes and manuals she (her name was Bobbe, short for Barbara) would continually hit hard with the same piece of advice about relentlessness, followed by three simple words (unless you don't get it): See it done.

The other ploy is to watch a metric shitload of videos made by folks brazing for a living, folks you trust that is, and then play make believe. Here's Hendrix willing the flame across his ax. Yeah. It's theatre. But the point is that you have to will the filler and the areas to be filled and do it regardless of the torch setting. However, I do believe hot and fast is optimum. This should address your earlier ask about reducing and carburizing flames. Show the joint who's boss.

Oh, the theater:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like a pretty neutral flame, reducing oxygen will make the flame run a little cooler. You are getting it a little hot, as you have been told. You can see the burned flux at the edges, and when the flux burns it stops working. When the edges burn you're just a half step away from burning the rest of it and scrapping the joint.
    I'd recommend trying to move a little faster with your current flame, or reduce the size of your flame and keep your travel speed. Also, adding more filler will help reduce heat input into the tubes bit. You'll have to decide how big you want the fillets and adjust everything from there.
    I hope that helps.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to both of you for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Thanks to both of you for the input.
    Would love to see some of your glass work in the non cycling hand made area.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Would love to see some of your glass work in the non cycling hand made area.

Mike
    I'll see if I can dig some up, it was a while ago(different life phase).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, entered a post here in the wrong forum and don't know how to delete it.