User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 1 of 112 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Covid19

Go!

We live about 5 miles N. of DC in a densely populated community. It is unlikely State of Federal Government would restrict travel or movement due to COVID19. My take is State Gov. may ask orgs. to implement common sense employee policies and advise community organizers to temporarily stop activities where folks gather.

Quarantine large swaths of people does not work.

What else concerns you?

FWIIFW This thread is politics free. I've got 16 forms of political PTSD don't make me go Babylonian on your azz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

My sister is living in Paris. The son of her boss came back from China and has been asked to stay in quarantine at home. The funny part is the son is living in his dad's house. and said boss is coming to the office everyday.

Good luck with that kind of quarantines.

I am living in a so far epidemic free area but the Ericsson building next to our office has been closed yesterday because an employee from their office in croatia visited them last week and they found out one of her croatian colleague has been infected. People have been asked to work from home but unless one is found to have the virus they will still visit stores, have social life, their kids will go to school, their wives/relatives will be working...
    Last edited by sk_tle; 02-27-2020 at 07:09 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Go!

We live about 5 miles N. of DC in a densely populated community. It is unlikely State of Federal Government would restrict travel or movement due to COVID19. My take is State Gov. may ask orgs. to implement common sense employee policies and advise community organizers to temporarily stop activities where folks gather.

Quarantine large swaths of people does not work.

What else concerns you?

FWIIFW This thread is politics free. I've got 16 forms of political PTSD don't make me go Babylonian on your azz.
    What concerns me is the lack of national preparedness. We had an NSC head of pandemic response but he and his team were fired in 2018. There were reductions in funding and staffing at the CDC and the Department of Health. A plan to deal with a pandemic isn't put in place overnight. It's something that has been put in place, drills conducted and plans revised. It's not just having a plan but making sure the people in charge have experience and know the drill. If this is too political for you I apologize but it can't be avoided. -Mike G

Incidentally I have a trip to the Dolamites this summer and while the tour company hasn't cancelled they are advising. The Maratona could be impacted

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend here is an infectious disease doc - been meaning to ask her. Not that you lack connections to those types, amigo. :)

With small children I do worry a lot as well as our proximity to a major research institution and tons of travelers, but I worry about a lot of stuff. Anyway, I have two hopes...

One: spring will stem the tide, just as flu season dies down, giving everyone some room to keep working on tactics, vaccines, etc., and,

Two: we'll get some herd immunity soon. If Covid-19's killing 3% of infected cases, that is really sad, but it's contagious enough that, in the face of its rapid global spread due to a strong economy and tons of global travel going on due to the way we do commerce, perhaps that herd immunity will also spread rapidly. Incidence and mortality will both recede. I'm not a science brain genius so I don't really know how HI develops and don't have time to google it this morning. And, I know Covid's a completely different animal from Zika (which we freaked out about because I went to Honduras right as we were "getting busy" with our firstborn). But it's my hope that Covid-19 will be in two years in the news cycle what Zika is today (but for the reason that Covid is a footnote in infectious disease history, whereas Zika is still mysterious, at least to me, a knownothing worrywart who periodically checks in on CDC and NIH reports for funsies).

Anyway, hug your loved ones, wash hands frequently.
    Last edited by deano; 02-27-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really encouraged by the rapidity of the development of potential vaccines: there appear to be several ready to enter trials ~ two months after the first cases.

You can use science to find potential solutions to a major global threat - who knew?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Covid19

My plan is to really up my handwashing game, get a few cases of water and non-perishable healthy food in the house, plus carry paper towels to open doors in public. Will seek to minimize my exposure to coronavirus opportunities where we can. We can just do our best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday I asked my building manager and managing agent if they had or were working on a plan for building staff and residents. Everyone is only now reacting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Next week will be the first one this year that I am not flying, so hopefully it’ll all blow over by the week after that.

Kidding aside, it looks like this horse has left the barn so we’ll be looking at managing it rather than containing. All relevant advice from the experts seems worth following.

On the daily life side of things, the global supply chain is likely to be disrupted and the downstream effects are still in the future and TBD. We just ordered a small stash of things we would not want to be without: kids medicines, hearing aid batteries, tampax, etc. Even if things are technically MUSA, you don’t know where the raw materials are coming from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

California is the hub for vacationers and business people traveling to the far east. I'm not surprised at all. I was looking at some comments posted on social media and some are attributing this to illegal aliens. Frankly I don't see that at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am planning to take a train to Jacksonville in a little more than a week to begin riding to CA. The unseasonable cold I find along the route worries me. I figure there is nothing I can do about this outbreak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I am planning to take a train to Jacksonville in a little more than a week to begin riding to CA. The unseasonable cold I find along the route worries me. I figure there is nothing I can do about this outbreak.
    Practice good hygiene and wash your hands as often as you can... Sort of makes the meet and interact with the locals bit of the trip a bit more daunting.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do that as a matter of course anyway. It's just one more complication I figure. Hopefully I won't encounter much paranoia about travelers. My wife just had what she thought was the flu, which was in fact pneumonia. No one else in our household got sick, so...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there is no herd immunity. Until there is disease control via vaccine(s) or the damn thing mutates a finds another host we will see this burn thru the worlds population.

We might get lucky and find there is weak immunity in certain populations who have been recently vaccinated with the usual series (chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, polio). It's looking like children as (statistically from China numbers) much less likely to contract the virus.

I'm married to an epidemiologist. Are we having fun yet?

Gosh we haven't even started to talk about preppers have we?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 02-27-2020 at 10:27 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too many people on earth anyway; isn't is known that the earth will heal itself when the people go away? Statistically at this point you might get struck by lightning or win the lottery before you acquire this virus. Not everyone who gets it croaks, usually we see the immunocompromised, the elderly, and the young most at risk. Without accurate documentation about exactly who has died from this virus it's difficult for us laypeople to understand who is at risk. Working in the ed I am around all kinds of stuff and frankly I'm lucky/desensitized to many viral type illnesses I encounter daily that don't seem to affect me. Common for ed people. Over time these illnesses have come and gone, run their course, and life happens. Personally I am not changing anything about my routine and lifestyle. The wolf cries are abundant! Watch me catch it and croak; oh well it's a good day to die, right!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lethality is low. Kids are not affected. No need to turn it into zombie apocalypse and close doors/windows. Avoid crowds, use masks and get on w/ your life. Id infected, get treatment. It´s not Ebola.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    A friend here is an infectious disease doc - been meaning to ask her. Not that you lack connections to those types, amigo. :)

With small children I do worry a lot as well as our proximity to a major research institution and tons of travelers, but I worry about a lot of stuff. Anyway, I have two hopes...

One: spring will stem the tide, just as flu season dies down, giving everyone some room to keep working on tactics, vaccines, etc., and,

Two: we'll get some herd immunity soon. If Covid-19's killing 3% of infected cases, that is really sad, but it's contagious enough that, in the face of its rapid global spread due to a strong economy and tons of global travel going on due to the way we do commerce, perhaps that herd immunity will also spread rapidly. Incidence and mortality will both recede. I'm not a science brain genius so I don't really know how HI develops and don't have time to google it this morning. And, I know Covid's a completely different animal from Zika (which we freaked out about because I went to Honduras right as we were "getting busy" with our firstborn). But it's my hope that Covid-19 will be in two years in the news cycle what Zika is today (but for the reason that Covid is a footnote in infectious disease history, whereas Zika is still mysterious, at least to me, a knownothing worrywart who periodically checks in on CDC and NIH reports for funsies).

Anyway, hug your loved ones, wash hands frequently.
    I just read this article a friend posted and they put the death rate at about 1.4%, but also note that it's really early to get a good solid number on that. I also don't know how reliable a source that article is.

I'm not terribly worried. The common flu seems to be deadlier. I could very well be wrong though. The two hesitations I have are
    1 - we have a toddler
    2 - my wife is an NP and sees about 100 patients a week. She will encounter it eventually.

I saw this on FB this morning and it made me chuckle and kinda sums up how I feel about it....right or wrong.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I think there is no herd immunity. Until there is disease control via vaccine(s) or the damn thing mutates a finds another host we will see this burn thru the worlds population.

We might get lucky and find there is weak immunity in certain populations who have been recently vaccinated with the usual series (chicken pox, measles, mumps, rubella, polio). It's looking like children as (statistically from China numbers) much less likely to contract the virus.

I'm married to an epidemiologist. Are we having fun yet?

Gosh we haven't even started to talk about preppers have we?
    I think it will be at least a year before we have a vaccine. They need to go through various trials to determine safety and efficacy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I just read this article a friend posted and they put the death rate at about 1.4%, but also note that it's really early to get a good solid number on that. I also don't know how reliable a source that article is.

I'm not terribly worried. The common flu seems to be deadlier. I could very well be wrong though. The two hesitations I have are
    1 - we have a toddler
    2 - my wife is an NP and sees about 100 patients a week. She will encounter it eventually.

I saw this on FB this morning and it made me chuckle and kinda sums up how I feel about it....right or wrong.

Children seem to be immune for some reason.
    slow.

Page 1 of 112 1234567891011 ... LastLast