User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 101 of 112 FirstFirst ... 919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Me too...goodbye Facebook, more books, riding everyday within lockdown zone, the simplicities of life have become clearer and I've seen so much self interest and narcissm it's left an indelible impression on me.
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    You know, I don't have any apprehension about adverse consequences should Biden win. The sun will come up in the morning, and we'll have a new day. All the rats will slink back into their holes, sleep off the hangover, and the work to repair the damage done will begin.
    The sun will absolutely come up in the morning.

Now, if you live and work in and around D.C. one learns that rats routinely come and go. The diseases rats carry vary but you can be certain that every administration has plenty of rats. Saying that, I firmly believe that come Jan. 20, 2021 exterminators will have less work at 1600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The more of these things that come up shooting blanks (after bulking up on loads of capital investment and US Gov $$) the more I think Trump never tested positive for covid19 and it was just a pump and dump scheme for magic elixirs that will waste scientist's time while being proven useless over the next 6 months.
    I think you're not alone in thinking this. It's certainly a tempting thought.

Another takeaway might be that we can't count on finding a short cut.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    You know, I don't have any apprehension about adverse consequences should Biden win. The sun will come up in the morning, and we'll have a new day. All the rats will slink back into their holes, sleep off the hangover, and the work to repair the damage done will begin.

This is just an unnatural disaster. When it's over we'll breathe a sigh of relief.
    Not that hard to remove a sitting president.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gaviria potentially re-infected. Tested positive on the second test day in Giro. We’ll see whether the positive test stands up to retesting.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/gav...-giro-ditalia/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6943e1.htm
    On July 28, seven days preceding his illness onset, the correctional officer had multiple brief exposures to six IDPs who later tested positive for SARS-CoV-2; available data suggests that at least one of the asymptomatic IDPs transmitted SARS-CoV-2 during these brief encounters.
    Subsequently, VDH and facility staff members reviewed July 28 quarantine unit video surveillance footage and standard correctional officer shift duty responsibilities to approximate the frequency and duration of interactions between the correctional officer and infectious IDPs during the work shift (Table). Although the correctional officer never spent 15 consecutive minutes within 6 feet of an IDP with COVID-19, numerous brief (approximately 1-minute) encounters that cumulatively exceeded 15 minutes did occur. During his 8-hour shift on July 28, the correctional officer was within 6 feet of an infectious IDP an estimated 22 times while the cell door was open, for an estimated 17 total minutes of cumulative exposure. IDPs wore microfiber cloth masks during most interactions with the correctional officer that occurred outside a cell; however, during several encounters in a cell doorway or in the recreation room, IDPs did not wear masks. During all interactions, the correctional officer wore a microfiber cloth mask, gown, and eye protection (goggles). The correctional officer wore gloves during most interactions. The correctional officer’s cumulative exposure time is an informed estimate; additional interactions might have occurred that were missed during this investigation.
    The correctional officer reported no other known close contact exposures to persons with COVID-19 outside work and no travel outside Vermont during the 14 days preceding illness onset. COVID-19 cumulative incidence in his county of residence and where the correctional facility is located was relatively low at the time of the investigation (20 cases per 100,000 persons), suggesting that his most likely exposures occurred in the correctional facility through multiple brief encounters (not initially considered to meet VDH’s definition of close contact exposure) with IDPs who later received a positive SARS-CoV-2 test result.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/21/healt...ive/index.html
    CDC updates its guidelines for close Covid-19 contact after prison guard gets infected

Was this widely reported?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beetnik > Just being brutally logical here ok? That cat never ventured outside the workspace? I get it, yet there it is. We'd need to see more intel wrt outside trace efforts....oh wait...you were being ironic.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-26-2020 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Beetnik > Just being brutally logical here ok? That cat never ventured outside the workspace? I get it, yet there it is. We'd need to see more intel wrt outside trace efforts....oh wait...you were being ironic.
    It's all a numbers game, que no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there has been some discussion here about some of the body's own response against itself as a result of Covid19 infection. This article summarizes some recent findings:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/27/h...gtype=Homepage
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow. Talk about drinking the kool-aid.

Peter Navarro, an economist and trade adviser, bullied and overrode health officials to distribute hydroxychloroquine from the national stockpile. In early April the White House authorized the shipment of millions of pills and don’t know where they all went. Or at least aren’t saying, the destinations are redacted in the documents detailing the second two shipments. Two million pills went to Brazil (Bolsonaro fist bump). Some hospitals say it showed up unrequested and unannounced.

In late April the FDA issued a special caution about a potentially lethal side effect, heart arrhythmia. In mid-May, tRump said he was taking it, “I want the people of this nation to feel good.” Meanwhile the FDA did an analysis showing the risk of adverse effects and death was real. The report was not posted to their website until July.

The report set off a fight between Navarro, Director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, and Dr. Peter Hahn, Commissioner of the FDA. Navarro is an economist, Hahn is a physician. Hahn wanted to revoke the authorization for hydroxychloroquine’s off-label use because it was clear the drug could do harm.

In June the feds authorized wholesalers to destroy the drugs. What a shit show.

White House sidestepped FDA to distribute hydroxychloroquine to pharmacies, documents show. Trump touted the pills to treat covid-19.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stupid question: Are the terms "Testing positive for Covid" and "Testing positive for Coronavirus" interchangeable?

Watching American sports like American football, basketball and baseball is one of my guilty-pleasure pastimes. These sports are taking place and I don't wish to get into a discussion of whether or not it's wise or idiotic. We hear daily about positive cases among the athletes, who are then quarantined and mostly return two weeks later, often having experienced no symptoms whatsoever.

I hear variations of both terms used by the commentators and announcers. In layman's terms, are these interchangeable? Or does one need to exhibit actual symptoms to have been diagnosed with COVID-19? And testing positive for the presence of the virus indicates a positive test for the Coronavirus?

Sorry if this is self evident but it seems as if there may be some daylight between the phrases. There is no attempt at controversy in this question. Just being dumb ol' me.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Stupid question: Are the terms "Testing positive for Covid" and "Testing positive for Coronavirus" interchangeable?

Watching American sports like American football, basketball and baseball is one of my guilty-pleasure pastimes. These sports are taking place and I don't wish to get into a discussion of whether or not it's wise or idiotic. We hear daily about positive cases among the athletes, who are then quarantined and mostly return two weeks later, often having experienced no symptoms whatsoever.

I hear variations of both terms used by the commentators and announcers. In layman's terms, are these interchangeable? Or does one need to exhibit actual symptoms to have been diagnosed with COVID-19? And testing positive for the presence of the virus indicates a positive test for the Coronavirus?

Sorry if this is self evident but it seems as if there may be some daylight between the phrases. There is no attempt at controversy in this question. Just being dumb ol' me.
    No daylight it is simply lazy reporting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Wow. Talk about drinking the kool-aid.

Peter Navarro, an economist and trade adviser, bullied and overrode health officials to distribute hydroxychloroquine from the national stockpile. In early April the White House authorized the shipment of millions of pills and don’t know where they all went. Or at least aren’t saying, the destinations are redacted in the documents detailing the second two shipments. Two million pills went to Brazil (Bolsonaro fist bump). Some hospitals say it showed up unrequested and unannounced.

In late April the FDA issued a special caution about a potentially lethal side effect, heart arrhythmia. In mid-May, tRump said he was taking it, “I want the people of this nation to feel good.” Meanwhile the FDA did an analysis showing the risk of adverse effects and death was real. The report was not posted to their website until July.

The report set off a fight between Navarro, Director of Trade and Manufacturing Policy, and Dr. Peter Hahn, Commissioner of the FDA. Navarro is an economist, Hahn is a physician. Hahn wanted to revoke the authorization for hydroxychloroquine’s off-label use because it was clear the drug could do harm.

In June the feds authorized wholesalers to destroy the drugs. What a shit show.

White House sidestepped FDA to distribute hydroxychloroquine to pharmacies, documents show. Trump touted the pills to treat covid-19.
    I take 400mg a day for RA.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coronaviruses can cause diseases such as the common cold, SARS, MERS and Covid-19. Testing positive for Coronavirus therefore should not be interchangeable with testing positive for Covid-19. In the current context most people who use the term Coronavirus probably mean Covid-19 but that exhibits laziness in my opinion (something of which I have also been guilty).

Meanwhile, in the UK, we are all awaiting a statement from our Prime Minister which was due to happen nearly an hour ago after being brought forward from Monday (two days time) as a result of Press leaks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the announcement was scheduled for Monday

(I see it is being moved to 630 pm tonight)

For what it is worth, my flight from LHR to JFK later in November was cancelled yesterday. BA must be reducing capacity again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The UK will be back in National Lockdown from Thursday 5th November 2020, subject to the approval of Parliament.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

as clarified by other posters, it's just lazy naming convention. It's a metonym, specifically a synecdoche, where the name of a species is used interchangeably with that of the encompassing genus or vice versa. Example include using "Wall Street" to indicate the U.S. financial system at large, even though not all financial trading take place on Wall Street. Or referring to big tech as "Silicon Valley", even though Seattle has two firms that are considered to be big tech (Amazon and Microsoft).

I personally take objection to this type of misuse in the context of things that matter. At best, it introduced confusion; it worst, it allows people to make tangential arguments that applied to the genus but not the species or vice versa.

As another tangent, I don't follow the Covid positive in American sports, but so far, it appears that the European football players who tested positive have mostly done alright. And by "alright", I mean being able to return to their former forms, including being able to run quite a bit, with full-effort sprints thrown in for good measure. Otoh, one only has to go to the various endurance sport fora to see that quite a few average Joes who contracted Covid have a horrid recovery. Perhaps professional footballers, being supremely gifted in aerobic capabilities, are uniquely capable of dealing with the effect of Covid (though I'd hazard that having access to top medical treatment doesn't hurt)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    use the term Coronavirus probably mean Covid-19 but that exhibits laziness in my opinion (something of which I have also been guilty).
    Yeah, it is lazy and an example of inadequate communication. the virus is SARS-CoV-2, the disease it causes is COVID-19. Since the terminology was designated before they truly realized there was actually asymptomatic disease and transmission, it is a distinction is arguably without difference. The accurate tests are based upon detecting the presence of the virus, and whether the "disease" is less important because even with no symptoms you can spread it.

If anyone tests positive, they are infected with SARS-CoV-2, and depending on WHEN they test positive in relation to their exposure and incubation period, they can transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others, regardless of whether they have SYMPTOMS of the disease, COVID-19.

Individuals may continue to test positive even after an adequate period of quarantine/isolation or recovery if symptomatically ill, but that will be obvious if they know and are transparent with the timeline of exposure, illness, resolution of symptoms, etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    as clarified by other posters, it's just lazy naming convention. It's a metonym, specifically a synecdoche, where the name of a species is used interchangeably with that of the encompassing genus or vice versa. Example include using "Wall Street" to indicate the U.S. financial system at large, even though not all financial trading take place on Wall Street. Or referring to big tech as "Silicon Valley", even though Seattle has two firms that are considered to be big tech (Amazon and Microsoft).

I personally take objection to this type of misuse in the context of things that matter. At best, it introduced confusion; it worst, it allows people to make tangential arguments that applied to the genus but not the species or vice versa.

As another tangent, I don't follow the Covid positive in American sports, but so far, it appears that the European football players who tested positive have mostly done alright. And by "alright", I mean being able to return to their former forms, including being able to run quite a bit, with full-effort sprints thrown in for good measure. Otoh, one only has to go to the various endurance sport fora to see that quite a few average Joes who contracted Covid have a horrid recovery. Perhaps professional footballers, being supremely gifted in aerobic capabilities, are uniquely capable of dealing with the effect of Covid (though I'd hazard that having access to top medical treatment doesn't hurt)
    You are appreciated. That's all I got.