User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 108 of 112 FirstFirst ... 9899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 LastLast
Results 2,141 to 2,160 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by XR2 View Post
    Well I felt like crap at work yesterday so I left early. Got home walked the dog and made a cup of tea. Get a message from my boss someone has tested positive for Covid. Drank the tea and went to bed. Sweating shitvering and other wonderful things for 12 hours. Called the Dr. today and will be getting a test at 3:45. So I get to stay home for a couple days. And worry about this crap. Kinda knew it would happen eventually but not happy that it has.
    Fingers crossed that it's unrelated.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    The breathing is slowly improving but my wife, who got Covid one day before me, and I both are still experiencing speech and language problems like using the wrong word or failing to find the correct word quickly enough to conduct fluent speech. For me at least it just appears to be a speech problem, I can still do crosswords.
    I'm guessing that there is not much that can be done to address the symptoms at this point, until the causes are understood?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've wondered about aerosol transmission particularly when indoors. The findings call into question the sorts of information and guidance being given by various governments.

I also wonder how effective the aircos are in aeroplanes, in other words, how reasonable it is to go on flights, especially the long haul variety.

A room, a bar and a classroom: how the coronavirus is spread through the air
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I've wondered about aerosol transmission particularly when indoors. The findings call into question the sorts of information and guidance being given by various governments.

I also wonder how effective the aircos are in aeroplanes, in other words, how reasonable it is to go on flights, especially the long haul variety.

It's my understanding that the filters on commercial planes are pretty effective.

Not that I'm getting on one. Nor am I going to restaurants, bars or theaters.

However... Right now I've got four guys working in my house every day, renovating our bathroom. They work behind a closed door, as do I. And we all wear masks when we are in the same space, even briefly. So we are mitigating risk, but still living with a choice to do this work in the midst of this pandemic.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    It's my understanding that the filters on commercial planes are pretty effective.

However... Right now I've got four guys working in my house every day, renovating our bathroom. They work behind a closed door, as do I. And we all wear masks when we are in the same space, even briefly. So we are mitigating risk, but still living with a choice to do this work in the midst of this pandemic.
    Are you sure they are actually wearing masks while working?

Contractors did radon mitigation at my place last week. They wore masks when speaking to me face to face, but at least one wasnt wearing a mask during part of the time at my place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    Are you sure they are actually wearing masks while working?

Contractors did radon mitigation at my place last week. They wore masks when speaking to me face to face, but at least one wasnt wearing a mask during part of the time at my place.
    I'm not.

But as I said, they are in a room behind a closed door. I am in another room behind another closed door. When they leave the room remains empty - it's a construction zone. When any of us moves through the shared space (stairways and front hall) we are masked.

Plus a Hepa air filter, running behind my chair all day long!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post

It is generally thought that being in the airplane is safe. For me, the risk factors increase in the airport boarding areas, security, customs, baggage claim, etc. That said, I haven't heard that flying is a super high risk thing, even with airport transit realities.

I worked all through the summer to the beginning of September in airports and airplanes and was thankfully unaffected by Covid. The airlines are taking this quite seriously because it is a very real existential threat to even the healthiest (pun intended) companies.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...uring-pandemic

https://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-t...9-flying-risk/
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of ours lives in So. Cal and her mom lives in NYC, she flies out to take care of her mom for a week every month. She takes a test before she leaves, shows the papers to the nice National Guardsman that meets the plane in JFK, goes and sees her mom. When she gets back home she takes another test, I think. So far there's been no problems.
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not.

But as I said, they are in a room behind a closed door. I am in another room behind another closed door. When they leave the room remains empty - it's a construction zone. When any of us moves through the shared space (stairways and front hall) we are masked.

I should probably get one of these, and that filter is a lot cheaper than I'd have thought.

For the day of the contractors showing up and after, we actually wore surgical masks in the house. It's awfully hard to wear one while asleep though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post
    I should probably get one of these, and that filter is a lot cheaper than I'd have thought.
    The good news is those things actually work. I know the person who wrote these for the EPA (first one is a brief guide, second is a longer white paper).
    https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...nd_edition.pdf
    https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...rd_edition.pdf

You do need to buy the right size for your room, to get 5 air changes per hour in order to work properly. So take the square feet of your floor area (SF), multiply by ceiling height (CH), divide by 12 to get the minimum free air delivery (FAD) of your unit in cubic feet per minute (CFM).

Minimum FAD = SF * CH /12
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rock and a Hard Place

If you were in CA you'd get infected. Or not...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6943e1.htm

I live in a very high compliance community with low number of cases per 100k but a case rate which is rising at the same rate as the County wide level. As some may be aware, LA County has the most cases per 100k for a large county in the US. As we were coming out of the first lockdown in May, home improvement projects in my neighborhood accelerated at a pace I've never seen outside a new subdivision. In May, the contractors, painters, roofers, cabinet guys, landscapers were always masked up and distanced when in public spaces. Now, compliance is only visible when home owners or landlords inspect the project. In LA nearly 100% of contractors, painters, roofers, cabinet guys and landscapers are Latinx or Mexican/Central American immigrants. This is also the community which accounts for 80% of infections in LA Co. But the messaging here continues to be "social gatherings" with a tiny bit of workplace compliance thrown in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    It is generally thought that being in the airplane is safe. For me, the risk factors increase in the airport boarding areas, security, customs, baggage claim, etc. That said, I haven't heard that flying is a super high risk thing, even with airport transit realities.

I worked all through the summer to the beginning of September in airports and airplanes and was thankfully unaffected by Covid. The airlines are taking this quite seriously because it is a very real existential threat to even the healthiest (pun intended) companies.

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...uring-pandemic

https://www.aarp.org/travel/travel-t...9-flying-risk/
    I don't want this tangent to become some sort of a justification for the fact that so many people travelled over the holiday season, so I wish to clarify that my curiosity is strictly about flights themselves. (This opener is not aimed at Saab, just a general remark.) The first link makes the point about doing a risk assessment for the entire journey, not just the flight.

The Harvard study, based on the AARP article, sounds like the emphasis was still on droplets even though they make a point about filters and change of air.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that if masks are worn, the chances of contracting the contagion are negligible. 1 is too many, but the 18-hour DXB-AKL flight ending up with only 4 transmissions is, apologies for the somewhat inappropriate word, encouraging. As you say, those 4 could have contracted the virus at the airport prior to boarding.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What happens when a restaurant worker gets COVID-19?

https://www.latimes.com/food/story/2...t-worker-covid

When a staff member tested positive at his restaurant in December, Clark Street Bread owner Zack Hall said, he didn’t know where to turn.

“Finally, after eight months of staying COVID-free in the bakery, it hit us,” he said, adding that he felt “defeated.”

Hall made the decision to close his Echo Park facility. He immediately called a doctor and arranged to pay to have all 40 of his employees tested the next morning.

“People were scared, nervous, worried, and we wanted to gather all the information and get our footing to make sure we had the knowledge to make the best decisions moving forward,” he said. “We spoke with [county] health. They didn’t help us arrange testing. We sort of jumped on it.”

Hall hired a service to deep-clean the bakery, put together his own COVID-19 protocols for employees and started to provide testing through a private service every couple of weeks. He closed the business for four days and spent $25,000 on closing, preparing to reopen and testing.

Green Street Restaurant co-owner Bob Harrison said clear guidelines and consistent answers from state and local health departments would have been helpful after he learned that one of the 35 employees at his Pasadena restaurant had tested positive for the coronavirus.

In researching what to do, Harrison said he found that CAL/OSHA requires employers to contact their local health department if there is an outbreak , while the Pasadena Department of Public Health guidelines requires employers to report each case.

“It can be a bit overwhelming and confusing as more agencies issue regulations,” he said.

According to Eddie Navarrette, vice president of the Independent Hospitality Coalition, a group that advocates for hospitality businesses during the pandemic, there is a lack of transparency and communication on a state, county and city level, contributing to feelings of distrust and frustration among the restaurant community.

Navarrette, who has worked with close to 100 food service facilities in Los Angeles as a consultant with his company FE Design & Consulting, is also the advocacy committee chair for the IHC, which has more than 400 members in Southern California.

“The No. 1 thing we’re asking for is a seat at the table,” Navarrette said.

He pointed out that the L.A. County Economic Resiliency Task Force, created to help restaurants and other businesses during the pandemic, fizzled after indoor dining was allowed to resume briefly in May, a move that was announced to restaurants the evening they were allowed to reopen. And the reopening guidelines? They were posted that evening as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cannot get rid of these fcking clowns fast enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...serve-used-up/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I have fever, my eldest daughter as well, her mother too. My gf was sick since wednesday but now feels better. I think we are in for a test on monday.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    So I have fever, my eldest daughter as well, her mother too. My gf was sick since wednesday but now feels better. I think we are in for a test on monday.
    Aw crap. The cycle seems to be a few days of ill-feeling and then maybe slightly better and then, if you are going to get a more serious case, the bad stuff hits. Hope everyone goes straight to feeling better after a few days. Fingers crossed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks right now only fever that comes and go and a bit of cough. It looks more like those kind of seasonnal sickness we get from times to times in the winter. Me and my gf will still do a test as she got a case in her workplace a few weeks ago and it is a hamman sp. So full of hot and air with high moisture level. I think this is not the best kind of workplace.

And I'll probably buy an oxymeter.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Best of luck for you and yours, Thomas.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thomas, wishing you and yours a swift recovery.
    Chikashi Miyamoto