User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 99 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

I go to the office 3 times a week, and was bringing employees in for short days arriving after rush to leave before rush hour.

Wednesday 9:30 am walking across Millenium bridge in London. As you can see, hardly anyone is in the city as most law firms and financial firms remain closed. From Friday, the GOV is raising the alert level to tier 2 and advising to WFH. I don't mind this, but it does boil my blood when I see the tiered behavior of people going out at night and being wankers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have every right in the world Doug. Stay safe. Let's get beyond this no matter what it takes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still working from home 5 days a week -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quite a few firms in NYC are considering June 2021 as the projected "back to normal" date. Just doesn't make any sense to ramp up for a return this fall, only to turn around and send everyone home again.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Quite a few firms in NYC are considering June 2021 as the projected "back to normal" date. Just doesn't make any sense to ramp up for a return this fall, only to turn around and send everyone home again.
    In my view. the work environment is forever changed. working from home will now be part of every company's calculations. Ofice space is not cheap too, especially in NYC. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    In my view. the work environment is forever changed. working from home will now be part of every company's calculations. Ofice space is not cheap too, especially in NYC. -Mike G
    It works for some businesses, for others I equate it to spending your savings. On boarding new employees, maintaining loyalty and a culture, new initiatives will be more difficult in my opinion. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For law firms, the amount of money saved in airfare is incredible.

However, times are a bit scary for law students.

And there will be big fights over real estate contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    It works for some businesses, for others I equate it to spending your savings. On boarding new employees, maintaining loyalty and a culture, new initiatives will be more difficult in my opinion. . .
    I think open and flexible work space may be an offer that would help get new employees, maintain loyalty and perhaps even create a culture. At least in law, the kids coming into the firms are more .law start up mentality than white shoe. Not slackers, just unconvinced that the old way is the only way.

But yeah, law firms are not all firms and there is tremendous status quo inertia in law. Work at home today and then 12 months after a vaccine gets figured out, everything is back to office + airplane.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-15-2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's the no-vaccine-yet plateau I think.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, that's the no-vaccine-yet plateau I think.
    Actually, it was the summer optimism. We are about to get the winter crash. . .

Spanish Flu had an identical pattern. The only saving grace (touch wood) is COVID did not gain function versus young healthy people like Spanish flu did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, it was the summer optimism. We are about to get the winter crash. . .

Spanish Flu had an identical pattern. The only saving grace (touch wood) is COVID did not gain function versus young healthy people like Spanish flu did.
    Ah yes - you are right of course. Sunny day today and 72F so was feeling optimistic myself.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For law firms, the amount of money saved in airfare is incredible.

However, times are a bit scary for law students.

And there will be big fights over real estate contracts.

I think open and flexible work space may be an offer that would help get new employees, maintain loyalty and perhaps even create a culture. At least in law, the kids coming into the firms are more .law start up mentality than white shoe. Not slackers, just unconvinced that the old way is the only way.

But yeah, law firms are not all firms and there is tremendous status quo inertia in law. Work at home today and then 12 months after a vaccine gets figured out, everything is back to office + airplane.
    Lot of law firms are also locked into long-term leases so there is some sunk costs already. In some respects I miss the office. No one thinks twice now about scheduling a zoom call for 7:30 in the morning nowadays because the assumption is there is no "commuting" time to be scheduled around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Lot of law firms are also locked into long-term leases so there is some sunk costs already. In some respects I miss the office. No one thinks twice now about scheduling a zoom call for 7:30 in the morning nowadays because the assumption is there is no "commuting" time to be scheduled around.
    Zoom call bloat. It's like any meeting. If run well, can be really worth the time and effort, if run poorly, a waste of time.. I think ZOOM is easier to be the later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Yes, my wife's first Zoom was at 8AM this morning, and she has been going since. Last video conference scheduled to end at 6PM, but there is usually some call she will have to "jump onto" later in the evening.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's also the office reopening date given by a lot of tech companies in the SF Bay Area, but rumors are that some teams have already internally given up on this date and are targeting 2022 at the earliest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, it was the summer optimism.
    Yep, I've seen too many people with bipolar disorder over the last 3 decades who had a "it's nice out, I feel good, I think I can stop taking my lithium" attitude. Resultant pain for themselves and those who loved them.

The continued moronic, magical thinking and dismissal of what the actual experts have warned is so frustrating. Unlike 1918-19, the nearly continuous mobility of everyone makes this daunting even if they masked and distanced during all activity/travel. I managed to drive to MD and back and got within 6 feet of 2 people--a cashier in gas station in IL and a waiter at a restaurant in Bentonville, AR. Both had masks, as did I (only removed it to eat). I stayed in 5 hotels and all had excellent admin and engineering controls to limit contact, required masks, and maintain 6+feet. I saw more than a few guests in the hallways being maskless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, my wife's first Zoom was at 8AM this morning, and she has been going since. Last video conference scheduled to end at 6PM, but there is usually some call she will have to "jump onto" later in the evening.
    No exaggeration, I've been on virtual meetings (not technically zoom) for 10 hours today and almost 30 hours this week. It's pretty brutal.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    No exaggeration, I've been on virtual meetings (not technically zoom) for 10 hours today and almost 30 hours this week. It's pretty brutal.
    Same story here.
    But I'm stretched across Zurich, Sydney and New York timezones. The concept of day and night has become blurry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I definitely get more done during Zoom meetings than I did with in-person meetings.

I have a Zoom at 7 tomorrow. Coffee, breakfast, and Zoom. Part of me hopes things don't go back to the "old way", but there is a need for refinement in the new processes.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I definitely get more done during Zoom meetings than I did with in-person meetings.
    Due to my country bumpkin internet I tend to do audio-only Zoom/Teams meetings. I too get more done during these meetings, which these days means I'm shelling beans for storage, hulling hazelnuts, and trimming pot.

That's what you meant, right?
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."