User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 97 of 112 FirstFirst ... 87888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Certainly a worthy hypothesis! However, not in my case because I usually don't eat on flights except for the packet of nuts or whatever at the beginning of the flight.
    That stuff is the worst of all... really, it is.

Just steal some ice cream from business class and only eat that. It's normally haagen daaz. I bet the smell goes away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So one of our medical providers who thought COVID-19 was just the "flu", fought mask wearing, limitations in clinic visits due to illness(all patients with certain symptoms seen in locations), and leaves FOX news on in the physician break room(I hate TV), has COVID-19 and is reportedly pretty sick. Now the clinic is trying to contact trace patients he saw recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    So one of our medical providers who thought COVID-19 was just the "flu", fought mask wearing, limitations in clinic visits due to illness(all patients with certain symptoms seen in locations), and leaves FOX news on in the physician break room(I hate TV), has COVID-19 and is reportedly pretty sick. Now the clinic is trying to contact trace patients he saw recently.
    Do you know what you call the person who graduated dead last in their med school class? "Doctor"...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More questions than answers, but an interesting line of enquiry:

Coronavirus in South Africa: Scientists explore surprise theory for low death rate
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...s-myocarditis/

Penn State’s team doc says 30% to 35% of their covid-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, have inflammation of the heart muscle.

“Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle that can lead to arrhythmia, cardiac arrest and death, especially in a person who doesn’t know they have it and performs rigorous exercise. Cardiovascular experts are becoming increasingly aware that covid-19 can affect the heart and urge cardiac screening for athletes who are recovering from the virus. Two high-level athletes — Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez and Indiana offensive lineman Brady Feeney — made headlines when they experienced heart issues.”
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

Penn State’s team doc says 30% to 35% of their covid-positive athletes, whether they were symptomatic or not, have inflammation of the heart muscle.

“Myocarditis is an inflammation of the heart muscle that can lead to arrhythmia, cardiac arrest and death, especially in a person who doesn’t know they have it and performs rigorous exercise. Cardiovascular experts are becoming increasingly aware that covid-19 can affect the heart and urge cardiac screening for athletes who are recovering from the virus. Two high-level athletes — Boston Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez and Indiana offensive lineman Brady Feeney — made headlines when they experienced heart issues.”
    Ugh!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I tested Covid positive in April I had a 5 or 6 episodes of an irregularly irregular pulse. Each episode resolved after an hour or so, just at the point when I was thinking that I should consult my physician. I did no real training for two or three months because I did not feel motivated and I felt guilty about that. With hindsight it was possibly the right decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The article has been updated to provide clarification.

"Penn State clarified a comment by an official who stated earlier this week that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for the coronavirus and were scanned appeared to have myocarditis.
    The comment by Wayne Sebastianelli, the school’s director of athletic medicine, came Monday as he spoke to a local school board about high school preparations and precautions. According to a Penn State Health spokesman, Sebastianelli was speaking about “initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study” and was not aware that it had been published, showing a rate of close to 15 percent among athletes, most of whom had experienced mild or no symptoms. Neither Sebastianelli nor Penn State conducted that study and he apologized for the confusion."
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don’t think the size of speed of the supercomputer has anything to do with the accuracy of the answer.

But yeah, face shields are for stopping splashes and droplets. Not a substitute for masks or to let people see your mouth while you talk.

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think the size of speed of the supercomputer has anything to do with the accuracy of the answer.

But yeah, face shields are for stopping splashes and droplets. Not a substitute for masks or to let people see your mouth while you talk.
    I once used the world's fastest supercomputer to print 'hello'

It was a much better hello.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I once used the world's fastest supercomputer to print 'hello'

It was a much better hello.
    Was it laser aligned? Machined from billet with CAD/CAM?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was it laser aligned? Machined from billet with CAD/CAM?
    I'll take a WAG. The date was 1984 and you did this using your IBM PC Jr.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    The article has been updated to provide clarification.

"Penn State clarified a comment by an official who stated earlier this week that cardiac MRI scans revealed that roughly a third of Big Ten athletes who tested positive for the coronavirus and were scanned appeared to have myocarditis.
    The comment by Wayne Sebastianelli, the school’s director of athletic medicine, came Monday as he spoke to a local school board about high school preparations and precautions. According to a Penn State Health spokesman, Sebastianelli was speaking about “initial preliminary data that had been verbally shared by a colleague on a forthcoming study” and was not aware that it had been published, showing a rate of close to 15 percent among athletes, most of whom had experienced mild or no symptoms. Neither Sebastianelli nor Penn State conducted that study and he apologized for the confusion."
    So a 15% chance of serious complications for top-level athletes, not 30-35%? Well I guess move-along, nothing to see here.. /s
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-lockdown.html

I don't get what they expect to happen except more lockdowns since they continue to flout the rules.

If UK goes hard lockdown in London again, I am punting my apartment back to the Grovesnor Estates and flying back to NY. They already warned the country this may last until March- (FWIW, Governments globally have been too optimistic)

My friend who's wife is also Japanese, decide to apply for permission to enter Japan on a spousal VISA and they plan to ride it out over there for 6mo+. They punted their apartment back to the landlord too.

If the COVID party infection doesn't kill the economy over here, the hard BREXIT will. . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good lay article regarding COVID 19 associated myocarditis.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...rditis/616420/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The media is so weird.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...emote-learning

Good parts:

Four days after the unions sent their letter, the Times ran an article with an alarming headline: “Older Children Spread the Coronavirus Just as Much as Adults, Large Study Finds.” The subheading read “The study of nearly 65,000 people in South Korea suggests that school reopenings will trigger more outbreaks.” Contact tracing from more than five thousand covid-19 cases in South Korea, the piece noted, had found a dramatic difference in how the virus moved among younger and older children. “Children younger than 10 transmit to others much less often than adults do, but the risk is not zero,” it stated. “And those between the ages of 10 and 19 can spread the virus at least as well as adults do.”

Previously, the debate about reopening had consisted of people offering examples of success and failure in a handful of countries: advocates cited France, Australia, and Sweden, among others; opponents cited Israel, where the hasty reopening of schools, along with a broader ending of lockdowns, had led to a resurgence of cases. But the South Korean findings seemed to be based on a much larger set of data.

Some researchers immediately found problems with the study’s conclusions, pointing out that the sample of children who had become sick was exceedingly small. Also, noted Alasdair Munro, a clinical-research fellow in pediatric infectious diseases at University Hospital Southampton, in the United Kingdom, it was not clear whether older children had passed the virus to adults or had got it at the same time and shown symptoms earlier.

“That study had methodological flaws that several of us pointed out,” Allen, the Harvard public-health professor, said. “But the headline took off.” Zeynep Tufekci, a sociologist who has become an influential voice on the pandemic response, tweeted, “I personally know parents who changed their whole next year because of the article. . . . The takeaway people got was 10-year-olds can transmit as much as adults.”

In July, at the first of a series of weekly online forums, the Baltimore school system updated parents on its plans for the fall. Santelises told the several thousand people listening that the district was still soliciting input and hadn’t finalized anything, but she made clear her enthusiasm for having at least some in-person instruction. She told parents that the in-person summer school was going very well—in the end, zero covid cases were traced to it—and that the ideal was to provide in-person instruction to families who wanted it.

As she was speaking, comments began popping up in the margins of the Facebook Live page that was hosting the forum. “How is this possible? This is a death sentence for these kids.” “How many dead students is considered an acceptable risk?” “This is crazy my children are more important y’all are trying to make these babies go back . . . because of Trump.”

The direct risks to children were, in fact, blessedly limited. By mid-July, of the roughly thirty-two hundred people known to have died of covid-19 in Maryland, only one was under the age of nineteen. Nationwide, fewer than a hundred children had died of the virus, roughly comparable to the number of those who die of the flu, which children are also far more likely to transmit than they are covid.

But it was not hard to see how parents could have got the impression that children were at great risk. Towns and cities had closed playgrounds, wrapping police tape around them. People in heavily Democratic areas were wearing masks even on empty streets. There may have been an implicitly political dynamic at work: the greater the threat posed by covid-19, the greater Trump’s failure in not containing it. (Joe Biden’s campaign aired an ad in early September that read “Our Kids Not Safe in School.”) In early July, Anthony Fauci, a trusted guide on coronavirus prevention, told the Washington Post that he still left his mail to sit for up to two days before opening it.

Public-health officials who had spent months scaring people into taking proper precautions were now struggling to un-scare them enough to contemplate a return to school. “The messaging never evolved,” Jennifer Nuzzo, the Hopkins epidemiologist, told me.

snipz

On August 7th, I met Shemar’s fourth-grade teacher, Karen Ngosso, and her two children for a walk in Druid Hill Park, Baltimore’s vast green jewel. I had met Ngosso in early 2019: Shemar’s mother thought he had gone missing one night, and Ngosso, who hadn’t had him as a student for a year, came to help us look for him. (He was fine.)

Ngosso, who is Black, grew up in Kansas City, one of seven children. When she was ten, her mother died in childbirth. As Ngosso recounts it, she and her siblings essentially raised themselves, drawing on what their mother had instilled in them—they even got themselves to church on Sundays. “We’d say, ‘Mama wouldn’t want us doing this,’ ” she told me. “Even though Mama was dead, we knew how to handle ourselves, because of things she said to us.”

I had thought that Ngosso would oppose the decision to keep the schools closed, since her insistence on rigor and high expectations for students and families echoed Santelises’s. But Ngosso did not trust other families. “When you drive around Baltimore, you see all these grown people walking around, no masks,” she said. “Those people’s kids will come to school. It’s like a snowball effect.” She doubted that younger kids could be trusted to keep masks on in class. “Just in general, kids are a snotty, messy mess,” she said.

She put little stock in the data showing that the virus had far less effect on children. She noted the subset of children with covid-19 who had got seriously sick with inflammation of the skin, eyes, blood vessels, and heart, which received a lot of media attention in the late spring. She cited the findings from the South Korean study. (A week after our walk, the Times reported that additional data from South Korea was casting doubt on the initial findings.) “They’re carriers,” she said, referring to children. “They’re supercarriers.”

She was worried about students like Shemar. “You have kids like him that need some type of stability, which school provides,” she said. But she also questioned whether his online education was that different. “The fundamental problem for him isn’t if the school is open or not, it’s that adults around him are supporting his education,” she said. “It doesn’t matter if school is virtual or in real life, he’s going to have the same issues.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any thoughts on the Great Barrington declaration?

I still need to read the original text, but I suppose it's a reminder that science is subject to interpretation.
    Chikashi Miyamoto