User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 93 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,860 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

I'm a big fan of ZdoggMD and Dr Offit. This is definitely worth the 45 minutes. For those that don't know him, Dr. Offit is a co-inventor of the Rotavirus vaccine, and he's also a pediatrician specializing in infectious disease, vaccines, and immunology at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).

Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Will. I had no idea there was a rotovirus vaccine. Someday I'll tell you about New Year's Eve me and Mrs. got it at the same time. Not a big deal except we were getting ready to have our annual NYE party with 50 invited guests. Such joy...."no no honey you go first, I'll hold your hair". LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Thanks Will. I had no idea there was a rotovirus vaccine. Someday I'll tell you about New Year's Eve me and Mrs. got it at the same time. Not a big deal except we were getting ready to have our annual NYE party with 50 invited guests. Such joy...."no no honey you go first, I'll hold your hair". LOL
    We should combine the Rotovirus/Coronavirus vaccines into a Cruise Ship special for seniors and make sure its covered by Medicare.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't watch the video, but I think the rotovirus vaccine is for infants and very young children. I'm thinking you mean norovirus (of cruise ship fame) since you are implying talking to Ralph on the porcelain telephone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    I didn't watch the video, but I think the rotovirus vaccine is for infants and very young children. I'm thinking you mean norovirus (of cruise ship fame) since you are implying talking to Ralph on the porcelain telephone.
    You are right. Evidently, I'm just seconds from senility.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bored? I've got two words for you: Bayesian perspective

How to Think Like an Epidemiologist - The New York Times

Above think piece describes a simple proof which might give you some perspective wrt health risk and how to manage these troubled times. The math is dog simple yet it's impact could allow you to make better informed decisions and come to terms with things such as personal risk. Give it a shot.

Bayesian Compass much?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-09-2020 at 05:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bored? I've got two words for you: Bayesian perspective

How to Think Like an Epidemiologist - The New York Times

Above think piece describes a simple proof which might give you some perspective wrt health risk and how to manage these troubled times. The math is dog simple yet it's impact could allow you to make better informed decisions and come to terms with things such as personal risk. Give it a shot.

Bayesian Compass much?
    I haven't heard Bayes's name since... university. I don't think I've met many people who fancy themselves numerate AND understand this concept. Regardless, the closing paragraph is all anyone really needs to understand, but then again, such people seem to be in short supply these days. Or, has it always been the case?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I haven't heard Bayes's name since... university. I don't think I've met many people who fancy themselves numerate AND understand this concept. Regardless, the closing paragraph is all anyone really needs to understand, but then again, such people seem to be in short supply these days. Or, has it always been the case?
    Nah, all yah gotta do is squint a little and it makes sense ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever one might think of the Swedish approach, this story illustrates what one Bayseian approach looks like, but the first paragraph betrays the fact that Tegnell believes most people do not see the world like Bayes.

Sweden'''s Covid expert warns UK: opening and closing schools would be disastrous
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever one might think of the Swedish approach, this story illustrates what one Bayseian approach looks like, but the first paragraph betrays the fact that Tegnell believes most people do not see the world like Bayes.

Sweden'''s Covid expert warns UK: opening and closing schools would be disastrous
    That is a very different society. FWIIW There is much recent speculation based on emerging trends that so called “natural” immunity resides in large swaths of the worlds population.

Observational, tho it may be, evidence points at prior immunizations as well as prior exposure to other virus commonly associated with flu/cold etc as the “why” so many people are asymptomatic. Should this be the case, read the tea leaves. Our moral compass will or will not follow. (Deep sigh)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone mansplain why the more efficient and cheaper tests are not in broader circulation? Everyone in the process, from the patients to the insurance companies, must prefer it, so is it purely politics?

Bill Gates on Covid: Most US Tests Are ‘Completely Garbage’ | WIRED
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How Plagues Have Changed the Course of World History

Not sure if this was mentioned before but I thought this was a good read.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could someone mansplain why the more efficient and cheaper tests are not in broader circulation? Everyone in the process, from the patients to the insurance companies, must prefer it, so is it purely politics?

So long story short is now I'm an automation engineer working in biotech for a company that makes a 90+% reliable covid test that works in 1 hour. It can do PCR for the virus and LFA for antibodies in the same test. Sounds great right? Well, we aren't producing them in great enough numbers to test everyone. The market for reagents and supplies like tubes is hot. NIH is currently in the process of giving out grants to companies to make more tests. If there was an appropriate political response at the beginning of the pandemic we would be ahead on manufacturing tests but instead the Trump administration denied reality and here we are.

TL:DR there aren't enough to go around and resources are low and too late.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He's somewhat right, but the headline is spun to imply the testing is garbage. He's saying that the results are taking too long to return and thus the results are useless. He's correct that many reference labs are experiencing long turn around times.

It's too complicated to dive into on a public forum, but as Coolberto noted, there is a shortage of supplies. On top of that, there is a shortage of human capital to perform the testing.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is very complicated.
    This article had my head spinning a bit.

How to Test Every American for COVID-19, Every Day - The Atlantic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another thing is a lot of these tests require a lab to process them. The test taking 15 minutes (supposedly) is one thing, but the infrastructure of administering the test, sending it to the lab, having a lab worker do the test and not screw it up, and send the results back, is the issue. And yeah that's not taking into account materials, chemicals, and worse: who is paying for the test with our convoluted medical system. Oh and let's not forget that many tests are waiting for an EUA in order to even be able to use the test in a clinical setting. The EUA people are jerking everyone around and apparently have required the NIH people to help get them back on track - except for one test I've heard of lately that got the EUA. Who knows how many others are just waiting for the bureaucracy to move.

EDIT: another thing you might find interesting is that WRT the NIH grant, they are asking companies to confirm their supply chain is capable of supplying everything AND that they (the company applying for the grant) have (a plan for) the infrastructure and distribution network BEFORE giving them the grant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    It is very complicated.

This is a good article IMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    It is very complicated.

Interesting read. Thanks for that.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Atlantic's coverage of the pandemic has been the most balanced of major media, especially on the school issue.