User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 87 of 112 FirstFirst ... 777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Trump is taking hydroxychloroquine as a preventative. Obviously there are people who take hydroxychloroquine to manage lupus and deal with malaria, and they don't have heart events that cause their death. And he has a doctor managing his care, perhaps on an hour to hour basis due to the viral conditions in the White House.

But isn't it medically strange that a doctor would prescribe a drug that has not been shown to work against covid19 AND has possible dangerous side effects? And isn't it strange that the Secret Service would sign-off on the doctor's prescription of that drug to a standing President as a prophylaxis?

I know there is a French doctor who claims success with this medication. But isn't that doctor prescribing it as a form of early stage treatment? Has Trump tested positive for covid19?
    That french guy is a quack that is working out of his main field. He is a disgrace and is ruining the french research reputation. Now the whole world use French Protocol as synonym for a way to run bad studies.

I'd say in the case of trump it doesn't matter much. His doc probably made sure he do not have any heart condition and the POTUS is probably the most monitored person in the world. Trump is probably freaking out from all the positives at the white house and his doc will have just grown tired of being asked for it.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-19-2020 at 03:21 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The funny part is that most Raoult / hydrochloroquine fanboys are antivax conspiracy theorist who pretend Covid was invented by bill gates and infect them through 5G so that he can run his world domination plan of implanting the planet with chips through vaccination. Trump should be more in a position to start out new conspiracies than following them. Or is that a way to content his supporters ?
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-19-2020 at 03:28 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    He is a disgrace and is ruining the french research reputation. Now the whole world use French Protocol as synonym for a way to run bad studies.
    I reckon the nation of Louis Pasteur and Luc Montagnier can absorb a few blows without serious damage.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consistent with the fact that everything Trump says says is a lie, I don't think he's actually taking hydrochloroquine. I think he's just saying he is in some sort of bizarre validation attempt.
    There is no bottom to this "man" indeed, but methinks he at least has an instinct towards self-preservation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Sorry, got this thread mixed up with the political thread. Should have gone there instead. Mea culpa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Point taken, though.

I bet he's being given a placebo and just doesn't know.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    ^^^ Sorry, got this thread mixed up with the political thread. Should have gone there instead. Mea culpa.
    Therein lies the rub. The current US administration has so politicized and polarized the response to this threat, that there is almost no separating them now. PPE, testing, vaccines, ventilators, statistics, mitigation, treatment . . . it’s all been touched by the taint of tRump.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 05-19-2020 at 07:53 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Point taken, though.

I bet he's being given a placebo and just doesn't know.
    I doubt it. Couldn't that be considered a treason ?
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Therein lies the rub. The current US administration has so politicized and polarized the response to this threat, that there is almost no separating them now. PPE, testing, vaccines, ventilators, statistics, mitigation, treatment . . . it’s all been touched by the taint of tRump.
    I first read that as torched, but point taken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I doubt it. Couldn't that be considered a treason ?
    On the flip side, it may be considered the same if someone gives him something that we know does more harm than good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far the White House physician has tiptoed around saying he prescribed the medication. That suggests that Trump could have gotten the medication himself and then told the doctor he wanted to start taking it. The question is: where is the Secret Service in all of this? Can you imagine what would happen in this country if the President died from a medication of unknown origins?

Maybe I am trickling into politics here.
    Last edited by j44ke; 05-19-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far the White House physician has tiptoed around saying he prescribed the medication. That suggests that Trump could have gotten the medication himself and then told the doctor he wanted to start taking it. The question is: where is the Secret Service in all of this? Can you imagine what would happen in this country if the President died from a medication of unknown origins?

Maybe I am trickling into politics here.
    I don't think it's in the Secret Service's mandate to get involved with medical issues if this is a decision Trump made with his physician.
    It would be ironic though if he procured his own supply without their help and got medicine of unknown provenance or quality manufactured in China.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far the White House physician has tiptoed around saying he prescribed the medication.
    Any chance the doc opens himself to professional disciplinary action for doling out controlled substances on the basis of ... nothing? I'm wondering if it's not the physician trying to protect himself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    I don't think it's in the Secret Service's mandate to get involved with medical issues if this is a decision Trump made with his physician.
    It would be ironic though if he procured his own supply without their help and got medicine of unknown provenance or quality manufactured in China.....
    You are right - they wouldn't tell the doctor what he could or could not prescribe or how to treat the President, but they would be immediately updated if the President was prescribed a medication that had possible life threatening side effects, even if they were slim. That might change how they "placed" Pence and also might result in a notification to the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi. They would also want to know the source of the medication in order to validate its identity. It might be a standard "Day at the Office" for the Secret Service, but they would be informed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First confirmed case of transmission directly from an animal: a mink, would you believe.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are right - they wouldn't tell the doctor what he could or could not prescribe or how to treat the President, but they would be immediately updated if the President was prescribed a medication that had possible life threatening side effects, even if they were slim. That might change how they "placed" Pence and also might result in a notification to the Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi. They would also want to know the source of the medication in order to validate its identity. It might be a standard "Day at the Office" for the Secret Service, but they would be informed.
    It really would be nufty central if you died by taking the drug you have been pushing to treat Covid-19 when all expert opinion suggests to the contrary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gals and guys riding bikes they haven't touched in years (decades), with saddles too low or too high, pedaling bowlegged, using curbs to stop, swerving, weaving is so weird. And so alarmingly comforting. I dig it.

Edit: goops, wrong thread. Kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    After the run on toilet paper and guns people have turned to bicycles. I met one today who has had two days off in two months from the LBS he works in.

So there is hope yet that sanity may prevail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Gals and guys riding bikes they haven't touched in years (decades), with saddles too low or too high, pedaling bowlegged, using curbs to stop, swerving, weaving is so weird. And so alarmingly comforting. I dig it.

There have been a few stories recently about shortages of cheap-ish bikes on the shelves.

I'm starting to see some old bikes pulled out of garages and put on the curb with a "for sale" sign, which I think is great. There's probably a decade's supply of cycling inventory hiding unridden in garages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post

I watched a young lady guide her Citibike into the curb and crash onto the sidewalk.
    After picking up her groceries we had a little talk about braking and seat height.
    She was nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    There have been a few stories recently about shortages of cheap-ish bikes on the shelves.

I'm starting to see some old bikes pulled out of garages and put on the curb with a "for sale" sign, which I think is great. There's probably a decade's supply of cycling inventory hiding unridden in garages.
    I fix and maintain alot of bikes for locals. The one thing that always makes me happy, aside from getting people on their bikes, is that bikes are practically unbreakable. New tires, a tube or bend this and that and all is good.

Bikes are durable goods.