User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 7 of 112 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

If it takes me, it takes me. Meanwhile, I have to earn a living and that means being in proximity with others. And I have to live my life, which to me is mostly solitary as I live alone and don’t go out much.

But I’m not going to panic and scream about the sky falling. Be informed and make good choices, as with all things in life.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    If it takes me, it takes me. Meanwhile, I have to earn a living and that means being in proximity with others. And I have to live my life, which to me is mostly solitary as I live alone and don’t go out much.

But I’m not going to panic and scream about the sky falling. Be informed and make good choices, as with all things in life.
    My words. Exactly.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read a paper from a doc working in intensive care in belgium. The biggest issue with covid19 is the number of hospital beds and the infection of people working in healthcare. There won't be enough beds to treat patient needing respiratory assistance from pneumonia in intensive care which means healthcare will be forced to send elderly people dying home and treat younger population. Additionnally even with the best measures some healthcare workers will get sick and in most countries there is already a lack of workforce in that area.
    --
    T h o m a s

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the kind of misinformation that I am managing as a physician and health care exec (boarded in critical care BTW) - keeping low probability 'what ifs' from turning into staff hysteria. Hence my post two above. Practice basic respiratory hygiene; avoid obvious high risk travel. If you want more information, take your cues from the CDC website. It will all work out.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There won't be enough beds to treat patient needing respiratory assistance from pneumonia in intensive care which means healthcare will be forced to send elderly people dying home and treat younger population. Additionnally even with the best measures some healthcare workers will get sick and in most countries there is already a lack of workforce in that area.

Give me a break.
    If there are not enough beds then more hospitals need to be built. Good old supply and demand. MOre jobs, more business, more taxes, more shopping.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am going to ride across the country regardless. But I have more carrying capacity in my bags than I was going to have because I may have to carry more food. Planning for a range of possibilities did not include a viral outbreak and now it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saab's approach is much like mine. Take necessary precautions, don't worry about it. It's just another thing on the pile.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, currently .0013% of world population infected. Mortality in developed countries will likely be 1% or less of that and the bulk of those will be immunocompromised people with inherently limited life expectancy independent of virus. You and I have a logarithmically higher likelihood of being killed by a texting or drunk driver every time we go for a road ride, cross the street, or drive to work.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a happy note, I am in Paris and seems like a lot of cancellations. The hotel upgraded me bigly to a very nice room. If the hotel becomes quarantined, can I stay in the room gratis for 14 days? I'm like a squatter. But seriously, I think the Louvre was more of the union taking advantage of the coronavirus to have an impromptu industrial action.... The museum workers often strike.

Which segways nicely into all the opportunism around C19. Political on all sides, and economic.

On a side note, I still think the real issue will be this coming autumn.

D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Give me a break.
    If there are not enough beds then more hospitals need to be built. Good old supply and demand. MOre jobs, more business, more taxes, more shopping.
    Well a lot of hospitals currently struggle to have enough workers.

You cannot magically expect to build hospitals and get them staffed correctly if wages of nurses are not decent enough. In many countries current hospitals already struggle to limit the cost of healthcare because health insurances refuse to pay more. They refuse because otherwise policies need to be so high that nobody can afford it.

In the meantime the drug and healthcare equipment industry profits from huge margins.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-03-2020 at 11:49 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The positive might be that this coronavirus might sanitize a bit public retirement funds.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot magically expect to build hospitals and get them staffed correctly if wages of nurses are not decent enough. In many countries current hospitals already struggle to limit the cost of healthcare because health insurances refuse to pay more. They refuse because otherwise policies need to be so high that nobody can afford it.

In the meantime the drug and healthcare equipment industry profits from huge margins.
    Yes; i can expect hospitals to be built when there is an emergency. The chinese did it in ten days and they are no better than us. The last thing i expect is european doctors sending sick old people to die at home so they treat the youngsters who are having much lesser symptoms and can´t organize themselves to build more beds. Really... it´s pathethic.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we can build stadiums for Olympics and world cups i guess a couple hospitals are no big deal.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: Covid19

In terms of behaviors and longtime traditional customs, one wonders if "shaking hands" will decrease as a method of casual greeting?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    On a happy note, I am in Paris and seems like a lot of cancellations. The hotel upgraded me bigly to a very nice room. If the hotel becomes quarantined, can I stay in the room gratis for 14 days? I'm like a squatter. But seriously, I think the Louvre was more of the union taking advantage of the coronavirus to have an impromptu industrial action.... The museum workers often strike.

Which segways nicely into all the opportunism around C19. Political on all sides, and economic.

On a side note, I still think the real issue will be this coming autumn.

D

I'm flying into Paris on Friday. Looking forward to it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I spent most of Saturday in an Emergency Room with my son. I thought about it a few times. I'm back in BFE, Arizona but I'm avoiding the fast food places along Rt66 and I-40 for the foreseeable future because of the high tourist traffic from California heading to the Grand Canyon. I don't need the fast food anyway. I also spent 10+ hours on SWA flights between Vegas and Raleigh as well. I was either exposed or I wasn't. I'm healthy with no decreased immunity.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see Nahbs has been postponed until August. I think Don and Co were smart to out in front of this.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    I see Nahbs has been postponed until August. I think Don and Co were smart to out in front of this.
    I agree, I'm glad they pulled the plug early. Dallas in August, nothing can survive the heat, the whole town gets sterilized.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    This improves my chances of attending and that is unrelated to Covid-19. I'd like to go to a bike show again.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books