User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 20 of 112 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    What he said.

Just back from a lovely bicycle ride. Played with the neighbors two Labrdoodlesomethingsomethings and did not elbow bump anyone. Life is good enough.
    Roads clearer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Schools are shutting down, my company has mandated work from home.

Well we all know that working from home with kids is impossible and people will just fake working. The economy will really come to a screetching halt with that virus.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-12-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post

.. We should all be relieved our country got around to this early or it would be a bloodbath like elsewheres, etc. Nothing to see here atmo. In three months all those awful hipster recipe blogs will be writing stories about what to fix for dinner with your COVID-19 rice and beans. We've nothing to fear but fear itself. That said, I don't know how NYers operate. Like I said not my jam. If you got somewhere to go, why not take a vacation?
    Really?
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I want to change my vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We should all be relieved our country got around to this early or it would be a bloodbath like elsewheres, etc.
    Is that a joke?? We got around to it early....which "it"?

I suggest reading this: Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium

The infected population is likely a heck of a lot larger than we realize and I don't see the USA doing much about it. If the thesis of the article is correct, and it certainly seems a rational treatment to me, we are fiddle farting around when we could be taking aggressive action that is proven to flatten the curve. It looks to me like our curve origin is merely temporally shifted to the right.

I'll be happy to be found incorrect. We'll know in a week or three.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheesh, @jclay and @claritycycler, I'm always willing to admit I'm wrong when the time comes, but I'll need your help getting there; here's the rationale for those statements. From where I sit, in my locality (I live in Durham, near Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC) there were 8 known cases at the time everyone left for spring break (tons of school districts as well as the Big Three, Duke, UNC, and NC State). All the Universities and a buncha public and private schools told everyone to stay away and not come back, that classes were going to take place online henceforth. Our Gov. Roy Cooper (whom it should never be forgotten was the A.G. who absolved the Duke lacrosse scandal situation) is telling us there will be widespread social distancing and measures won't be popular, but they will limit the damage. I am not saying it's nothing, but in my area, anyway, it seems like leaders are ponying up and doing the things that are going to work to keep our health system from strain.

Convince me otherwise. I get that Washington state might have a different scenario, but am I wrong that in general, our country seems to be mobilizing sooner than Italy did?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh oh. Two cases in a city of one million and I’m three degrees of separation from one of them:
    Me—>Co-worker—>Co-worker’s spouse—>infected individual (Works with my co-worker’s spouse)
    At least I’m not teaching this term. Both co-worker and co-worker’s spouse (and children) are asymptomatic and I’m waiting for direction as to whether I need to self-isolate. I may anyway.

Elementary and high schools are closing for the month. We are in the process of turning our undergraduate program into an online one with online exams. If I had any money to invest I’d buy shares in Zoom.

On a lighter note, my Dublin-living daughter let me know that the Republic is shutting down all events with more than 100 people. She quipped that at least people will be able to attend Sunday mass.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all, a bit OT but the school closures that are happening and will likely sweep across America means that a lot of kids are gonna miss the only good meal they get all day (worldwide too). If you are able to (and we're an upscale cycling thread, so yeah most of us can...), please consider giving to your local food banks, YMCAs, churches (if that's your thing), etc. to help needy children and families make it through this.

A few other places to donate to:

No Kid Hungry
    Donate Today

Feeding Children Everywhere
    Feeding Children Everywhere | Together For a Hunger-Free World

If you're wondering whether schools near you are closed, or you want to give more targeted geographically, here's a map of school closures:
    Map: Coronavirus and School Closures - Education Week
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sheesh, @jclay and @claritycycler, I'm always willing to admit I'm wrong when the time comes, but I'll need your help getting there; here's the rationale for those statements. From where I sit, in my locality (I live in Durham, near Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC) there were 8 known cases at the time everyone left for spring break (tons of school districts as well as the Big Three, Duke, UNC, and NC State). All the Universities and a buncha public and private schools told everyone to stay away and not come back, that classes were going to take place online henceforth. Our Gov. Roy Cooper (whom it should never be forgotten was the A.G. who absolved the Duke lacrosse scandal situation) is telling us there will be widespread social distancing and measures won't be popular, but they will limit the damage. I am not saying it's nothing, but in my area, anyway, it seems like leaders are ponying up and doing the things that are going to work to keep our health system from strain.

Convince me otherwise. I get that Washington state might have a different scenario, but am I wrong that in general, our country seems to be mobilizing sooner than Italy did?
    Sorry Zam-Beeee, I assumed that you were referring to the astute observations and sage (strong) actions that our intrepid leader and his hand picked generals, I mean minions, have been executing on our behalf. Sounds like your local folks are actually working the problem. Of course we could maybe get Pence to pray rather than institute proven epidemiologically sound actions, you know, like he did with the HIV outbreak when he was gov.; kind of a mass shooting "thoughts and prayers" equivalent, and probably just as effective.

My bad. What I find interesting, of late, is that I'm getting rather fatalistic about having a moron for a president, VP, et al. It'll pass much like a bad meal, including the feeling of relief upon ejection, or not. Queer.

And I'm sorry if my smart ass comments about Trump offend but, 'come-on....really, Trump is a pretty dull intellect. Pretty good con-man,....I think, but not what one would call a smart cookie. We can do much better, well, theoretically anyway
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we move political discussion out of this thread and into the thread with political discussion? I personally need this to thread to be informational and not yet another long form argument, and I am sure others here do as well. Todd will be happy to take your calls at the other thread.

This one:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...one-54276.html
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Can we move political discussion out of this thread and into the thread with political discussion? I personally need this to thread to be informational and not yet another long form argument, and I am sure others here do as well. Todd will be happy to take your calls at the other thread.

This one:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...one-54276.html
    What he said.

FWIIW Sis just txt'd me. Says FR shutdown ALL schools as of Friday with no re-open mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that Franconia or France, Josh?
    @jclay, no that's ok... I was serious too. Wrong is wrong and I have been known to be too optimistic. Call me out. But It does seem like officials are reacting around here. Duke Pres. Vincent Price heroically made the call on Tuesday. They have to since Duke is the most international institution in the region but that was a smart move, and certainly nudged other officials in the region in the right direction. See my background on Roy Cooper, lol, though that fiasco did cost DU 100 million, lol I hope my optimism is vindicated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kid at Ohio State just received an email telling him that classes are online only for the rest of the semester and that he will get an email tomorrow, indicating what day/time he needs to return to school next week, to clean out his dorm room...he's on Spring Break this week.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am flying to Mexico through Panama sunday. As i arrive I travel by bus another 3 hours up north to Queretaro, then by car to San Miguel Allende. On the same day. I will go see my young son because we miss each other too much. I won´t back down but although Mexico is slow in corvid numbers i am seriously worried.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kid's school will be mostly shut down next week to prep for the move to virtual education and then the following week is spring break, so they'd be closed anyway. I'm hoping they'll be good to open after spring break, but we're not so sure.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me, to the six grad students in my professional seminar class on Monday: "Welp, looks like I may not be seeing any of you in person for the rest of the semester...."
    My students: No way. You're being a little hysterical, don't you think? Things don't move THAT fast....

Three days later: University moves to a distance learning modality and I won't be seeing them in person for the rest of the semester.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    I am flying to Mexico through Panama sunday. As i arrive I travel by bus another 3 hours up north to Queretaro, then by car to San Miguel Allende. On the same day. I will go see my young son because we miss each other too much. I won´t back down but although Mexico is slow in corvid numbers i am seriously worried.
    My wife was supposed to be in Mexico City for two weeks starting last Wednesday. Her firm disallowed all non-client business trips so that shut down the trip, but before that went into effect, she was preparing to cancel because she didn't want to get stuck in quarantine at her conference hotel because someone else got sick.

San Miguel de Allende is beautiful. I've been birdwatching in the Sierra Gorda National Park to the east. Biosfera. But that was a long time ago.

I don't know what to recommend. Just keep clean, stay hydrated (elevation 6234',) and don't get over-tired.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    San Miguel de Allende is beautiful....
    Yes. Yes it is. Old Europe in the heart of Mexico.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting how borders and physical limits now matter the most. I got so used to the virtual space where everything is close and within reach; shopping online and talking on line. Physical space wasn`t important anymore.
    Suddenly planes are not allowed to land and nation borders are closed. Entire regions are isolated. Finnally individuals distance themselves and can´t touch each other. It´s all about physical space now and virtual does not matter.
    slow.