User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 18 of 112 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Aslo, it is in french but you can grasp the idea. Number of hospitals beds per 1000 inhabitant by country.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Aslo, it is in french but you can grasp the idea. Number of hospitals beds per 1000 inhabitant by country.

This shows the precarious situation the US is in. Thanks for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The far right in Brasil, endorsed by the president, is planning a giant nation wide rally on sunday. They did not back down yet. The idea is demoralize congress, supreme cort and the press. President Bolsonaro says "the press is hysterical about the virus".
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    The far right in Brasil, endorsed by the president, is planning a giant nation wide rally on sunday. They did not back down yet. The idea is demoralize congress, supreme cort and the press. President Bolsonaro says "the press is hysterical about the virus".
    thus answering the question, "who is dumber? Bolsonaro or Trump?"

I for one am shocked by the result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding your bicycle is 100% CORVID19 safe. Going to the gym, not so much. Once again we prove that our community is superior.

All seriousness aside, what community minded things will you do to limit exposure and, g-dforbid, isolate yourself should you test positive or have been in close contact with someone who has CORVID19?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Riding your bicycle is 100% CORVID19 safe. Going to the gym, not so much. Once again we prove that our community is superior.

All seriousness aside, what community minded things will you do to limit exposure and, g-dforbid, isolate yourself should you test positive or have been in close contact with someone who has CORVID19?
    Oh, how I wish the problem was CORVIDS....

63739541-480px.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've already done most of my shopping and am generally avoiding contact. And I canceled my trip to NYC for a concert. Fortunately the woods is not a reservoir of the virus...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    I'm not a statistician and can't adequately vet the article in general or the methodologies in particular; maybe others can. But having said that, the ideas supporting the analyses seem sensible to me and I'm gong to assume that the analytical treatments are suitable. If I'm on solid ground then we are in for a rough ride and all of you would be wise to read the article, right now, and take protective measures seriously.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium
    To me the vital take-home messages are:

1) The virus is here and in a vastly greater number of individuals than the number of confirmed cases; orders of magnitude larger (one order of magnitude = 10x, 2 orders = 100x and so on).
    2) If the shape of the growth curve (Chart 6) is correct (and I see no fundamental reason to think it isn't...that's how things like this replicate if uncontrolled) then then the virus is replicating exponentially in the US and some other countries; that is very bad news.
    3) Take protective measures very seriously, now.

I don't mean for that to sound panicky but simply to point out that your personal mitigation efforts need to be ramped up now. The key way to bend the virus growth rate into negative territory is to starve it of transmission mechanisms. That requires, as much as is possible, isolation and appropriate hygiene. Wash hands often and be aware that things like car keys, wallets, currency, purchased items and the like are potential vectors; empty your pockets immediately upon returning home or to work (into a dedicated bowl or some such) and then wash your hands; not the other way around. I'm decontaminating food containers before they enter the house.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re likely decamping upstate. While I don’t think it is possible, we really don’t want to be stuck in Manhattan when they close the bridges.

I am just guessing but by the POTUS ordering flights from Europe ceased for 30 days, does that unlock the some sort of disaster compensation for the airlines?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some stream of consciousness rambling.....

I've heard word that some major airlines have experienced domestic bookings down by 70% and international books much further down. It's going to be a bloodbath in the airline business. I just talked to my sister overseas and she's cancelling her plans to come next month. My nephew is with her and my brother-in-law right now in serene Alpine isolation. But he's a student in St. Paul, MN most of the time and will experience some challenges getting back. Thankfully, he's extremely resourceful and most of his classes are online classes anyway. So they'll be OK.

I live alone so that's not as big a concern and I've got plenty of toilet paper....... I may actually stock up on a few food items that will last a while in case I need to actually spend time at home.

My own company is financially sound but airlines are like sharks - they must move continually or they die and with bookings drying up it's a big problem.

Looks like Don Walker's decision to postpone NAHBS was incredibly prescient. I spent yesterday in my basement cabling my Serotta, an activity that is peaceful and relaxing and safe.

Meanwhile, here's an Independent Fabrication Corvid. I wish I had one.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I am just guessing but by the POTUS ordering flights from Europe ceased for 30 days, does that unlock the some sort of disaster compensation for the airlines?
    I can't speak to this at all, but there needs to be a rescinding of the "Use it or lose it" policy that exists with some airports regarding slots. London's Heathrow airport is notoriously slot-constrained and if airlines don't operate their slots they lose them. They're extremely valuable. So to maintain them they're flying empty or nearly empty airplanes around - ghost flights. This policy needs to be relaxed in time of crisis, which this certainly is.

Domestically, there are a number of tightly controlled airports including New York's La Guardia (LGA), Washington Reagan National (DCA) and Orange County (SNA). Not sure about JFK. O'Hare in Chicago is also a slot restricted field I think.

Anyway, there needs to at least be common sense relief for airlines at this moment so they don't burn cash needlessly.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My FRA to MRS flight last night has 20 people on it (A320), this was after they cancelled my initial flight that was supposed to leave 4 hours earlier. So these 20 people are for 2 flights....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to find some prepper food online...i.e. Mountain House, etc. It’s all gone.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am stuck in West Africa (virus? what virus? which one? pick one- Corvid is NBD where polio victims are still common ) trying to fly home this weekend to the East Bay, home of the Petri Princess cruise ship, where I fully expect to drop dead within minutes of exiting immigration control. I have 3 tickets to choose between two dates, and either through Paris (risky) or Istanbul (costly). What a clusterF__

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Try to find some prepper food online...i.e. Mountain House, etc. It’s all gone.
    All this fits on a small pantry shelf and is enough for self quarantine. We dun neeed no stinkin' prepper food ;)
    Without getting overly involved, just the basics to get past ourselves.

Bag of dog food 'cause Mr. Sully is our main man
    Dried Black Beans
    Canned or bagged tuna
    Sardines
    Powdered Milk
    Rolled Oats
    Dried Fruit
    Honey
    Canned Corn, Canned Spinach
    Dried Pasta
    Jars of Marinara
    EVO
    Rice
    Parmesian Cheese
    Ghee
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-12-2020 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ stocking up today with TT's list and I would eat the dog food, so watch out Sully.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Some stream of consciousness rambling.....

My own company is financially sound but airlines are like sharks - they must move continually or they die and with bookings drying up it's a big problem.

Looks like Don Walker's decision to postpone NAHBS was incredibly prescient. I spent yesterday in my basement cabling my Serotta, an activity that is peaceful and relaxing and safe.

Meanwhile, here's an Independent Fabrication Corvid. I wish I had one.

I expect the Gov will have a bailout for airlines much like what they did to banks in 2008/2009. It's a bit of a force majure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going for radiation every day and grocery once a week. That's about it for leaving the house except for bike rides or walking around the neighborhood. Karen and I are skipping music and eating out until this ends, she's expecting to be told today to WFH. We're basically avoiding being in groups at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I expect the Gov will have a bailout for airlines much like what they did to banks in 2008/2009. It's a bit of a force majure.
    any idea how many billions the airlines have spent on buying back stock and paying dividends these last few years. more asymetric risk, give it all to the shareholders and when things go wrong get a government check. and its not just airlines. there's talk of hotels too. guess who owns hotels -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish we lived in a country where a vote of no confidence would trigger a new election.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk