User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 17 of 112 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

And of course because this is a democrat plot it only will kill republicans...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm most concerned about what will happen during tick season......
    Then we'll have Corona with Lyme.

Tip your waiters and waitresses; I'm here all week.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Worth Reading:

Do us a favor | Science

"I don’t expect politicians to know Maxwell’s equations for electromagnetism or the Diels-Alder chemical reaction (although I can dream). But you can’t insult science when you don’t like it and then suddenly insist on something that science can’t give on demand. For the past 4 years, President Trump’s budgets have made deep cuts to science, including cuts to funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the NIH. With this administration’s disregard for science of the Environmental Protection Agency and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and the stalled naming of a director for the Office of Science and Technology Policy—all to support political goals—the nation has had nearly 4 years of harming and ignoring science."
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    I'm most concerned about what will happen during tick season......
    Then we'll have Corona with Lyme.

Tip your waiters and waitresses; I'm here all week.
    How do I clean Dr. Pepper off my computer screen...you rat ;)

Y'all seen the numbers from Germany? Giddyup.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-11-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Italy has ordered all restaurants, stores and bars in the entire country to be closed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    Italy has ordered all restaurants, stores and bars in the entire country to be closed.
    'ing with espresso. Serious business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ric Ford over at MacInTouch, owner of one of the longest running Apple Computer forums, has put together a pretty impressive list of resources, including (hey Toots!) cleaning your computer.

COVID-19 Information and Resources

Ric is a great guy, and I expect his list is rational and intelligent (I've read several items linked) but as with anything, use your own editorial judgement.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear old Duke closed the rest of the semester. Not going in any more to meet students. We will just Zoom or whatever. This is wild.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Here’s an interesting graphic on what options for containment yield for results.

Twitter

Lemme know if y’all can see that, because it seems the Vertical Doug has a very valid point.

Opinion: Mama said, stupid is as stupid does.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 03-11-2020 at 09:24 PM. Reason: “Anyone who wants a test can get a test.” — IMPOTUS
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lucky for me-my Home town is just dealing with last weeks tornado that killed 24, slightly more than the COVID.. but—the coronavirus has hardly made the local news..

Either way and both tragedies have us running out of toilet paper-times like these make me wish I wasn’t a high fiber vegetarian with the raw ass-
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Here’s an interesting graphic on what options for containment yield for results.

Twitter

Lemme know if y’all can see that, because it seems the Vertical Doug has a very valid point.

Opinion: Mama said, stupid is as stupid does.
    One that Fauci agreed with in his appearance before Congress today evidently.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...us-assertions/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clearly an equal opportunity illness!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Dang. Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson.
    Tom Hanks: “Hello, folks. Rita and I are down here in Australia. We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches..."
    He is a brilliant actor and simultaneously just a regular 63 y.o. individual living with diabetes. He must be very frightened.
    I pray for his recovery, Rita's recovery, and for all others not so famous. This is indeed a situation where we must help one another.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flights from Europe halted for 30 days, the NBA season canceled, and lots of universities closing. I think this is a good thing. I don’t personally fear for myself, but this virus seems to wreak havoc on older folks.

Oddly, still not highly in prevalent in pediatrics. I hope it stays that way.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a statistician and can't adequately vet the article in general or the methodologies in particular; maybe others can. But having said that, the ideas supporting the analyses seem sensible to me and I'm gong to assume that the analytical treatments are suitable. If I'm on solid ground then we are in for a rough ride and all of you would be wise to read the article, right now, and take protective measures seriously.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    I'm not a statistician and can't adequately vet the article in general or the methodologies in particular; maybe others can. But having said that, the ideas supporting the analyses seem sensible to me and I'm gong to assume that the analytical treatments are suitable. If I'm on solid ground then we are in for a rough ride and all of you would be wise to read the article, right now, and take protective measures seriously.

Coronavirus: Why You Must Act Now - Tomas Pueyo - Medium
    It's good article.

If you look at South Korea where they are testing everyone and catching it early, they still have a mortality rate of 1%. Mortality lags infections, which is why in closed cases, you see fatalities at 6%. 94% recovered and 6% dead in China. Italy is even higher with current 6% mortality rate, but another 6% of the patients in serious or critical condition. The US does not want to be here.

H1N1 in 2009, infected 1/6 Americans but had a much lower mortality rate 0.02% so only 10-12k died. We can let this run like H1N1 and hope mortality rate is low, or we can take drastic actions. Until you can test, 10,000s per day, you should set up stricter containment zones. Cuomo has the right idea. It just needs to go a few steps farther because unfortunately, enough people refuse to self quarantine, that you have potentially hundreds of Mary Mallons walking around any given day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you look at South Korea where they are testing everyone and catching it early, they still have a mortality rate of 1%. Mortality lags infections, which is why in closed cases, you see fatalities at 6%. 94% recovered and 6% dead in China. Italy is even higher with current 6% mortality rate, but another 6% of the patients in serious or critical condition. The US does not want to be here.
    I am not surprised by relatively high mortality rate in Italia. If you look at the age pyramid of western european countries the population tend to be older compared to asian countries.

Population of China 22 - PopulationPyramid.net
    Population of Italy 217 - PopulationPyramid.net
    Population of Republic of Korea 216 - PopulationPyramid.net
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-12-2020 at 03:30 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I am not surprised by relatively high mortality rate in Italia. If you look at the age pyramid of western european countries the population tend to be older compared to asian countries.

Population of China 22 - PopulationPyramid.net
    Population of Italy 217 - PopulationPyramid.net
    Population of Republic of Korea 216 - PopulationPyramid.net
    True, but Germany and Japan are just as old if not older. So this is only part of the explanation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    True, but Germany and Japan are just as old if not older. So this is only part of the explanation
    I am talking about the mortality rate, not the infection rate.

Infection rate has been much higher in Italy, then also France and Spain because in our latin cultures we kisses a lot, even between mens, we share drinks, cigarettes or whatever easily. That is totally not the case in Japan and much less in Germany. Also Japan as 5 cases per 1M habitants and Germany 26 per 1M habitants, way below what hospitals can handle. Italy has 206cases per 1M of habitants which means the hospitals are overloaded and thus the mortality rate increase dramatically as they are forced to let people die without respiratory assistance.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-12-2020 at 04:29 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s