User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 13 of 112 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by megapope View Post
    i will never understand the hoarding of toilet paper

why else would they put the shower next to the toilet?
    My grandmother, who lived through the Depression, hoarded toilet paper. Even as a kid I thought it was odd. She didn't seem concerned about food, but by God, if the apocalypse struck, we would all have shiny heinies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    My grandmother, who lived through the Depression, hoarded toilet paper. Even as a kid I thought it was odd. She didn't seem concerned about food, but by God, if the apocalypse struck, we would all have shiny heinies.
    Kinda begs the question don't it?

Do not get between me and a bag of Organic Tortilla Corn Chips. Yes, I have them and am prepared to defend my stash against visitors who do not bring salsa an cold beer.

People are funny, they focus on things that do not matter. It distracts from the crushing reality that my d@mn Organic Corn chips ain't for sale at any price. Get your own.

Hmmph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duck and cover as a form of mass anxiety management.

It was really just yoga.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our oldest one works for the University of Washington, where they announced online only classes until 20 March and now my youngest who’s on Spring break from The Ohio State University, was just informed that classes will be online only, until at least 30 March.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colker View Post
    Bidets are such a great idea. Even better..toilet showers.

Takes about 60 sec to get to the punchline...
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is due to have our second child on April 5, in Sacramento. We now have two months of nonperishable food, medicine, and toiletries in the house. The only place I go is work and she is fortunately able to stay home. But our parents (hers in their 60s, my mom just turned 70) are not going to come help out from the Midwest now, so it's on us to keep the lights on and the meals cooked for our toddler. I think we got this, but these are scary times, and we're really missing the help our parents could give us. We don't have any other family or many close connections here to rely on. They say the virus doesn't seem to do much to kids, but I'm living by the phrase "past results are not indicative of future performance." Who wants to test out a high fever on their own kids?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    I think we got this, but these are scary times, and we're really missing the help our parents could give us.
    It’s daunting while you’re staring at it and thinking about all the insanity to come, but you got this. When the baby arrives, you’re “in it” and somehow it works out...cause it has to. Just remember to do 50% more than you think you can, and all 150% in support of the mom. Everything else will work itself out.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    Hysterical! I completely forgot that my grandmother was the same. Toilet paper and bananas. I never understood why.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doomridesout View Post
    Who wants to test out a high fever on their own kids?
    Can't say about toddler's but my 10y old nephew is in his 3rd day at >40 celcius degrees fever. Still no way to be certain it is covid but the symptoms seem to be the same according to the emergency number they called.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-10-2020 at 05:35 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Can't say about toddler's but my 10y old nephew is in his 3rd day at >40 celcius degrees fever. Still no way to be certain it is covid but the symptoms seem to be the same according to the emergency number they called.
    I hope your nephew feels better soon.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is a very serious event to come in the USA.
    Read up on the crisis in Italy and understand that Italy has an excellent health care system that is in crisis mode dealing with this virus.
    It unfolds rapidly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The radiation oncology practice is screening everybody every day and if you have symptoms you're not going in the patient area and your treatments are suspended. I just told work I'm WFH until I'm done with treatment since I can't work from a dedicated work station because all of my reports are contractors and I told work that if they don't like it they can kiss my sweaty ass.

Edit: If I were on the other side of the house doing chemo more than my ass'd be sweating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    This is a very serious event to come in the USA.
    Read up on the crisis in Italy and understand that Italy has an excellent health care system that is in crisis mode dealing with this virus.
    It unfolds rapidly.
    And it's hitting home for some of us already, literally.

Take precautions to stay as safe & healthy as you can. Prepare to be sick by stocking up on the stuff you'll need to be homebound for a couple weeks (don't get crazy, but don't take TT's corn chips.)
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We bought a box of good respirator masks from our safety supplier for one of my mechanics who has a transplanted kidney. We haven't had any reported cases here in Kingman, but all through December and into January, tourist buses with Chinese nationals made stops in town. I have to think that there are people in the area that are infected but not symptomatic. We're at a crossroads of I-40 and Rt 66 and the first stop for tourists headed to the Grand Canyon from California.

Another concern I have is the potential manipulation of social media by the Russians. The oil war was a jab at Russia by the Saudis because Russia refused to cut production. If nothing else, Russia is good at the long game, they can take huge losses in revenue selling oil at lower prices caused by the glut. Selling fear and discourse heading up to the election could manipulate the voting public. Covid plus a market crash is a pretty good combination.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people continue to deny or downplay the potential threat of Covid. And not because they're Fox news crazies either; smart people I know well and respect. Saying things like "it's just a flu", "flu kills more people", "car accidents kill more people", etc. I can't tell if it's a coping mechanism or the American obsession with rugged individual tough guy-ism. Or maybe younger people really, truly don't give a f**k about older people. In any case it's not really helping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if this website has been mentioned here before but it's interesting. ...for more than just covering the coronavirus cases.

Coronavirus Update (Live): 116,9 Cases and 4,95 Deaths from COVID-19 Wuhan China Virus Outbreak - Worldometer

Also, not assuming it's 100% accurate.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy thought here. When there is a snow emergency I volunteer at our local hospital to drive personnel to / from work. They fill my truck up with gas and I get a sweet tee shirt. What if I get the virus, recover and volunteer to help homebound folks in need of support eg doc visits/groceries etc. etc.?
    This is how it worked with Ebola, the recovered patients became caregivers for the infected.
    Are we thinking that far ahead?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NJ Announces 1st COVID-19 Death; NY to Deploy National Guard to New Rochelle – NBC New York

if they lock down westchester, does that mean i can't ride my bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just spoke to my brother in Italy. Except for work exemptions and important circumstances (somewhat loosely defined) travel across commune boundaries is prohibited (commune loosely = city + the immediately surrounding area...smaller than a typical US county) on pain of fine or jail. They live in the commune of Modena which is within the province of Modena, region of Emilia Romagna, adjacent to the Lombardia region (Milan).

According to Bill Lombardia is the best medically equipped region of Italy (which has an excellent health care system) and they're at the point where decisions about who may be able to survive, and who can't, are being made so as to best utilize the available resources (ventilators and blood oxygenators).

Apparently patient #1 was a fit, 35yo amateur athlete who has just come off of a ventilator.

The govt was asking folks to stay home as much as possible but that didn't get adequate traction; among other manifestations of non-compliance the local papers noted that the bars and night spots were still hopping. The ask was then ratcheted up to enforcible public orders.

Here is a link to the John's Hopkins Global COVID-19 tracking dashboard: Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Crazy thought here. When there is a snow emergency I volunteer at our local hospital to drive personnel to / from work. They fill my truck up with gas and I get a sweet tee shirt. What if I get the virus, recover and volunteer to help homebound folks in need of support eg doc visits/groceries etc. etc.?
    This is how it worked with Ebola, the recovered patients became caregivers for the infected.
    Are we thinking that far ahead?
    There's an on-going debate about how susceptible people will be to re-infection. This article is from a few days ago so the information might already be out of date but this also seems like something we won't know the answer to for a little bit.

Experts unsure if 'cured' COVID-19 patients are reinfected or relapsed - UPI.com