User Tag List

Thread: Finished my first frame, any one in Northern CA willing to criticize it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finished my first frame, any one in Northern CA willing to criticize it?

Hi, I am finishing up my first frame.
    I am wondering if any one in the greater Sacramento California area (I live near Chico, CA) who is into the hobby would take a look at the thing
    before I paint it to give me some feed back.

It is my first frame and I am aware of some of it's deficiencies,
    but I think it might help future frames to have someone with experience look at the thing and give some input.

I would be happy to buy you lunch/coffee/beer for the effort.

I am happy to get online feed back also, though I only have my phone for a camera and no photo taking skill.

Thanks for any feed back :)

framesmall.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finished my first frame, any one in Northern CA willing to criticize it?

I just read I need to have my name posted, so I just corrected that.

-Eric Crizer
    -Eric Crizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finished my first frame, any one in Northern CA willing to criticize it?

Aaron might be available to address your request.

AR Cycles - Home
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would also recommend AR Cycles as well as he teaches classes. I'm also happy to take a look if you are in the Sacto area. I'm close to Downtown. Granted I'm currently drawing out my third frame so I'm no professional. Have to talked to BTCHN' cycles in Chico?
    Chris Dougherty
    Sacramento Ca
    Curious hobby builder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the recommendations for AR. I emailed him.

Cynikal, I sent you a PM.

Thanks, Kdawg.

I used those drop outs because I wanted a horizontal drop out to adjust chainstay length and have the option of single speed. The book I followed:
    Lugged Bicycle Frame Construction by M Chimonas recommended plugged drop outs over tabbed drop outs. Those were the only ones I found.

I was basically trying to make a bike like Black Mountain Cycles "monster cross" bike, with clearance for bigger tires so hence the canti brake posts.
    -Eric Crizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unable to rotate pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by abecrizer; 03-15-2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Poor photo orientation
    -Eric Crizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric--
    I'm in Santa Cruz, where are you located? With the current coronavirus constraints on travel, maybe this could wait. But in any case, if you want to bring it by we can take a look at it and put it on a surface plate, etc. I'm a former pro mechanic, fitter, and wheel-builder. I have made ~30 frames myself and have done QC on hundreds of others.

Bill Bryant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bryant View Post
    ... With the current coronavirus constraints on travel, maybe this could wait...
    Please wait!
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Please wait!
    And as of today you have to......CA lockdown will benefit all of us.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill Bryant, thank you for the offer of checking out the frame, I really appreciate it. And I wont be able to make it to Santa Cruz.
    Even before CA went into lock down I was struggling to make something work with people ~60 miles away who were kind enough
    to offer to look at it, just because my schedule in March got crazy. Now with Covid-19 I am putting all that on hold. Even without
    shelter in place orders my line of work puts me at risk of being infected and I would hate to bring anything to anybody.
    Thanks for the kindness of everyone, stay safe out there.
    -Eric Crizer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cynikal View Post
    I would also recommend AR Cycles as well as he teaches classes. I'm also happy to take a look if you are in the Sacto area. I'm close to Downtown. Granted I'm currently drawing out my third frame so I'm no professional. Have to talked to BTCHN' cycles in Chico?
    By the way, I emailed AR cycles and he was a really nice guy, happy to meet up to take a look. I wasn't able to do that because my schedule at first and now Corona Virus, I chose bad timing to finish the bike and post this.

Cynikal was very kind to offer to take a look also, and I really appreciate that, same as above though.

The Btchn' bikes guy, Tyler Reiswig is real close to where I live and was very kind to take a look and to recommend a local powder coater. It was a great experience to visit his shop, and he was very encouraging and was very generous with answers to questions.

At first I worried it would be insulting to talk to someone who makes their living this way because I did not want to insult anyone, but everyone I talked to was super generous
    regardless if it was their hobby or business.

Thanks to everyone who replied I do really appreciate it :)
    I hope to circle back when the world calms down, a big part of my goal is just to connect to like minded people who like building bikes.
    -Eric Crizer