Hello everyone , first time posting today after having been quietly reading in the shadows for a while now !

Firstly I'd like to introduce myself : I'm Jim , hobby framebuilder living in the U.K enjoying the learning process whilst making bikes, this place has helped me so much and I'm very appreciative of the wealth of knowledge which is passed on so freely by all those who participate and particularly the professional builders generosity.

I've always had a thing for Titanium bikes so my very long term goal is to slowly work my way up to building one, but I appreciate there is a lot to know and learn with regards to Tig welding compared to steel so I'm trying to commit to a few hours a week on refining my tig welding on this material. So far I have built 4 steel bikes , 1 really crap hardtail as a first attempt ..., 1 gravel bike , 1 road bike and recently a 29r hardtail .....

When I started down this path I wanted to try and start the right way, and although self taught I have tried to get it right by reading up as much as possible on sites such as this ! so my Tig setup on steel has alway been as follows :

- super clean tubing and sundries , clean , clean , clean !
- argon back purge inside frame
- gas lens on tig torch, Furick cup
- brass heatsink in head tube etc with gas injection
- Pulsed and non-pulsed (still can't decide which is better for my skill level)
- 1st pass for tacking and fusion pass ,non pulsed, 70amps max , foot pedal , occasionally adding small amount of filler if my mitres are not perfect
- 2nd pass once material is cooled down, pulsed , 120 amps max , 1.8 pulse per second (hz) , 5% background , 28 -30% on time / duty cycle, filler rod 1.0mm thick

I've tried to transfer this methodology over to the Titanium but have also used Reagent grade acetone (Mike Zanconato mentioned this) to help with prep and cleaning.
I have attached some images of sample tubes that I've had a go at and would really appreciate some constructive criticism of the welding and straw colouring etc .. I've got along way to go but any advice / opinion would be much appreciated !!

My setup on these pieces was as follows:

- cleaned with red abrasive pad , degreased , rinsed , wiped with alcohol and then Reagent grade acetone just before welding
- Furick BBW cup , 1.6mm Lanthenated tungsten sharpened to roughly 20 degree angle, gas lens , gas flow 14 L / min (30 cfh)
- Back purged with brass heatsink inserted
- 1st pass , 80 amp max , small tacks all the way round just using fusion of thicker material into thin tube ?
- 2nd pass (once cooled down) 120 amps max , 1.0mm filler rod , 1.7 -1.8 pps , 10% background , 30% on time / duty cycle
- argon postflow 8 seconds ?

Think thats it , anyway I've gone on a bit so apologies ! thanks guys

Jim
James Egercz

IMG_0930.jpgIMG_0933.jpgIMG_0942.jpgIMG_0943.jpg