User Tag List

Thread: Adaptive Structure Training and/or Nutrition Effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adaptive Structure Training and/or Nutrition Effects

Not a « pin a number on » question, just an « I want to get back to normal » question in two parts that perhaps someone will be kind enough to educate me....

I am wondering if there are any « adaptive » « smart » « ai adjusted» structured training programs out there.

What I am getting at is that in every competitive athletic time of my life, I have had a coach who had a plan for a structured workout and then would adjust the next structured workout based on various performance metrics of the previous one or several workouts.

Now, it seems that all of the programs that I can find (and even the ones from coaches) are, in a way, lazy in that they pop out the workout schedule for the next x weeks or months and don’t make an adjustment to them or add in other workouts based on how the performance is going.

The second part of the question is about nutrition and if any take this into account (or if anyone has any thoughts for me) which is what brings this original structured workout question up.

Over the last six months, I was finally diagnosed with a trifecta of food/ digestive issues which I have evidently had for my whole life but didn’t realize since it seemed « normal » to me until it wasn’t bearable. I have lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, and have fructose malabsorption issues.

So, I have been struggling on some days. I know that some of it is because on some days during the whole long process of elimination diets and figuring out what and how much of what I can eat I am in calorie deficit.

But some of it is that I literally can not eat so many of the things that I had always learned to eat before, during, or after exercise.

I have been through all of the structured training threads and fat adapted training threads and so on here and elsewhere on the interwebs but am still at a bit of a loss for what to do.

If anyone knows of any « adjustable » « adaptable » or whatever programs or any that include nutrition in some way. Or have any thoughts to share, I am all ears.

I would just like to apply some logic to trying to get back to and maintain the capabilities that I used to have (age adjusted of course).

Thanks.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Adaptive Structure Training and/or Nutrition Effects

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    The second part of the question is about nutrition and if any take this into account (or if anyone has any thoughts for me) which is what brings this original structured workout question up.

Over the last six months, I was finally diagnosed with a trifecta of food/ digestive issues which I have evidently had for my whole life but didn’t realize since it seemed « normal » to me until it wasn’t bearable. I have lactose intolerance, gluten intolerance, and have fructose malabsorption issues.

So, I have been struggling on some days. I know that some of it is because on some days during the whole long process of elimination diets and figuring out what and how much of what I can eat I am in calorie deficit.

But some of it is that I literally can not eat so many of the things that I had always learned to eat before, during, or after exercise.

I have been through all of the structured training threads and fat adapted training threads and so on here and elsewhere on the interwebs but am still at a bit of a loss for what to do.
    Hey Jon, sorry for the very belated reply to your DM which I'll just segue into here.

Aside from adapting to new foods, the lack of lactose, gluten and fructose are all going to be manageable for your cycling, but it will take some adaptation. Lactose is the easy one to get rid of and I'll leave my personal feelings to a minimum here but we could all do with less (or no) dairy in our lives.

Gluten will be a bit tougher, since so many good carbohydrates (which you'll need for that high-end effort, the 3-sec punch you're missing) are going to contain gluten. I'm a big proponent of real food, and getting in some complex carbohydrates during the post-effort glycogen reloading window is crucial but with a little prep it's easy. One of my favorites these days is sweet potatoes with some nut butter. Yes, sweet potatoes have a small amount of fructose but since it's a malabsorption and not an allergy issue, you should be okay (it's very, very small, like <2% by weight). You can pre-cook them, slit down the middle and wrapped in beeswax wrap or whatever, stuck in the fridge. Add some nut butter when you're ready to eat it and you've got a perfect post-workout refuel: carbs, fiber to slow absorption, fats and proteins.

The "during" exercise is probably the hardest, but will also depend on what you normally consume and for what purpose. How long/hard are your workouts? What are you normally eating during them and when?

If you want to adapt old recipes, buy some dextrose and some golden malt syrup to replace fructose. Some coconut butter will also help with a lot of cooking. You're basically following a FODMAP at this point, so search recipes based on that. In the meantime, here is one of my favorite no-bake energy bars that happens to fit your requirements..

------

1/3C nut butter (peanut, sunflower seed..etc.)
    6T maple syrup/golden rice syrup
    1.5C puffed rice
    0.75C pumpkin seeds (rough chop)
    1/2t ginger powder
    1/2t cinnamon powder
    15g dark chocolate (I like 100% but go with less if that's your thing)
    1/2t xantham gum (will help hold them together but if you're eating them straight out of the fridge you can leave this out)

Prep a 8x8in (21x21cm) baking dish/pan with parchment.

1. Melt nut butter with syrup in a small saucepan. Once melted, stir through the chopped seeds, puffed rice, ginger, cinnamon and xantham gum (if using).

2. Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish/pan and press firmly to compress everything.

3. While this is cooling, melt dark chocolate in a bain-marie (or a microwave in 30sec increments) until smooth and liquidy. Drizzle this over the pressed mixture until evenly coated. Place baking dish/pan in the fridge.

4. Once cooled (2hr+) these can be sliced into 14 squares. They'll keep in the fridge for about 3 weeks or the freezer for about 2.5-3 months.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an adaptive AI training plan developed by a top level coach, check out velopro.bike
    VeloPro Dynamic Cycling Training Plans and Online Program
    Very economical, can put in your goals and it updates based on them. Missed some rides? Felt great and rode longer or harder? Plan adjusts. It’s simple and you can try it free for a month. Another option in this space is TodaysPlan. I’m not multi-sport, auto upload via Strava is built in (or you can bulk upload files). Sufficient data analysis for data junkies too but it doesn’t get in the way.

The simplicity and auto-adjustments make this great for ease of use and are key for me.

I’ve been using it for a couple months now. Know another strong rider who has years of experience and switched to it last year vs working with a couple of coaches for years. I love it for the flexibility. I lived with highly structured training for six years. I also worked as a coach for a few years. I hate writing my own plans and I am still burned out on tightly ordered workouts. VeloPro makes it possible for me to keep tabs on load, progression, periodic FTP checks that it adds in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Octave View Post
    Aside from adapting to new foods, the lack of lactose, ... I'm a big proponent of real food, and getting in some complex carbohydrates during the post-effort glycogen reloading window is crucial but with a little prep it's easy. One of my favorites these days is sweet potatoes with some nut butter...

The "during" exercise is probably the hardest, but will also depend on what you normally consume and for what purpose. How long/hard are your workouts? What are you normally eating during them and when?
    Thanks for this.

The lactose replacement isn't really a problem as I have never been able to have any...I have always had an immediate gag reflex to milk products. Oddly, my over protective parents and doctors never thought that was terribly odd for some reason. I only mentioned it as I am amazed, while going on this journey, how much stuff is in various other stuff in a hidden/ slightly different name. Being an educated consumer is not the easiest thing.

One of the most amazing things to me is that it is not just manufactured foods. It is a bit crazy that even real food can become problematic.

It's been explained to me that fruits have now been bred (if that is the right word) to be sweeter. So, I have been told that some of the older charts on fructose quantities really should be redone. For instance, does the world really need a new strain of grapes with a trade name "cotton candy grapes" when all the customer knows is green or red grapes?

When I say during ride, it is because I like to go on 3 to 4 hour rides. When I am up in Quebec that often means I am no where near civilization so I like to carry something with me in case of bonk. When I am in NY City and ride out into the 'burbs, given what is happening in my gut I want to stay away from trusting that I will find something in a local deli.

My concern is that without a quick hit like some kind of sugar I run the risk of blood sugar going low or whatever it is that causes bonking. I will definitely try the bar recipe.

And your dextrose suggestion is great so I will try that.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    For an adaptive AI training plan developed by a top level coach, check out velopro.bike
    VeloPro Dynamic Cycling Training Plans and Online Program
    Anne, thanks. I will definitely try this next week when I am back where I can ride road bikes at this time of year.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel