User Tag List

Thread: Best eyewear for tig and fillets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Best eyewear for tig and fillets

Is there a reason why most builders seem to use a shade 5 goggle for brazing and clearly a welding helmet for welding? My helmet has a shade 5 setting that I was thinking I could also use for fillet, but mostly wanted to know if it was a safety issue? Any other concerns? Flux fumes gumming up the helmet? I plan on doing about 50/50 between welding and brazing. Also any recommendations, I don’t mind spending some of the gear really does work better

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Best eyewear for tig and fillets

There's a significantly different light brightness between brazing and tig, so you need a significantly higher protection shade on TIG than brazing.

For a practical example, you could watch a brazing flame without any shades and you would have no much harm on your eyes. Do not ever try it with TIG our you'll get quite a bad time.

Also, the TIG brightness is not good for skin, you can get burned as with sun, so hemets come handy for total protection of your face. Just for yet another reason to have a helmet with tig. But the list go on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boncngsol9 View Post
    Is there a reason why most builders seem to use a shade 5 goggle for brazing and clearly a welding helmet for welding? My helmet has a shade 5 setting that I was thinking I could also use for fillet, but mostly wanted to know if it was a safety issue? Any other concerns? Flux fumes gumming up the helmet? I plan on doing about 50/50 between welding and brazing. Also any recommendations, I don’t mind spending some of the gear really does work better
    Re-reading your question I realize your concern might be more about why helmet vs glasses rather than about shades. If so, the tig shade being much darker, means you can't really see anything with the "shades" on, so you need a way to make your view "adaptable", it being possible either through an automatic sensor helmet (which changes the shade level automatically once the spark lights up) or making it up-down with a head movement when using a passive lense helmet. In most cases you'll see most of tig builders using passive lenses for many good reasons.
    If you were using "standard "glasses, you could not really get this view "adaptable" with a head movement or automatic sensors and would not be able to see much before the spark lights up, and you need to see what's going on so to positioning your hands, torch, rod, etc. It would be like beiing blind till the light comes up. On the opposite side, if you were using not enough dark shade glasses, so being able to see what's going on before the spark, you woul dget your eyes pretty fucked up once the party starts (unlike to brazing, where the light difference between pre-brazing and brazing is not so critical)

I hope this makes more sense to your question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ambient light and general weight of the gear makes brazing goggle/ glasses more comfortable. If you like your TIG helemet and it works for you, there isn't a safety reason why you couldn't use it with brazing, but in general its massive overkill (even if the lens is light enought).