Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lathe Q (KDK QC stuff)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Lathe Q (KDK QC stuff)

i know this isn't a machinist's forum but before I go and get lost in a new forum k-hole I figured I'd ask here:

The lathe I purchase at the end of the summer came with a KDK QC tool post and two tool holders #153 and #154 .
    They're working out a-ok. But I'd like to get a carbide cut-off tool holder system.

KDK made three: #010 , #1010 , #1510 but they're out of biz and I can't seem to find any on ebay.
    HHIP seems to make KDK style tool holders but nothing like the carbide kind. Closest that they have is the #154 which is designed for a P5X blade (1/8" x 7/8") and something I already have.

Other than switching to a new QC system or machining my own (which I'm just not so excited about though I'd probably learn A LOT) is there a solution?

I am definitely a lathe newbie so something is probably right in front of my face, I just don't know enough to recognize it.

Thanks
    -T-
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Lathe Q (KDK QC stuff)

I never heard of that style QCTP before. Looks like they have a wide assortment of tool holders to attach to that post. Since it isn't that common, you may spend as much on a tool holder as you would on a new generic BXA or AXA QCTP with holders. Might be best to cut your losses and sell what you have on ebay. You can get tool holders for BXA for $25-35 depending on what you want. And the posts themselves usually come with 6 tool holders for just over $100.

As far as the indexable tools themselves, I just bought a Shars assortment. They work fine as long as you get good inserts for them. I spent more time than I wanted reading insert app notes. One of those tools is a carbide cutoff tool. It works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I don't know what specific model toolpost you have, my recommendation is to measure the relevant parts and then look at the dimensions for the Dorian, Aloris, DTM and Phase II tooling available. I bet you find what you need from one of those other brands. For example, I have a Dorian post that works with Dorian 40, Aloris CA and PHase II 250-400 holders.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a Phase II system 20 years ago because at the time I wasn't going to spend the clams required to get in to Aloris or Dorian. It's been used a LOT. I'd buy one again in a heartbeat. Outstanding value in an import.
    Last edited by Dancingbear; 01-30-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: typo
    Rob Segal
    Built my first one back in '77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Since I don't know what specific model toolpost you have, my recommendation is to measure the relevant parts and then look at the dimensions for the Dorian, Aloris, DTM and Phase II tooling available. I bet you find what you need from one of those other brands. For example, I have a Dorian post that works with Dorian 40, Aloris CA and PHase II 250-400 holders.
    Thanks Sean.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like your QCTP has a dovetail, but the mechanism that attaches the tool holders appears to be quite different. It wouldn't surprise me if the dovetail was close though

Looking at the completed listings on ebay, it sure seems like you can get a Phase II with a full compliment of tool holders for the price the KDK QCTP are going for. Assuming yours are in decent condition