User Tag List

Page 49 of 56 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556 LastLast
Results 961 to 980 of 1104

Thread: What are you Listening to right now?

  1. #961
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    6,104
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    An episode of Drunk History reminded me how good Sam Cooke was. I had him and Guy Clark (an odd mix) on a playlist while I was working in the garage.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

  2. #962
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA.
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    It's his playing on "A Remark You Made", written by Zawinul performed with Weather Report that has stuck with me.
    It's a beautiful performance by the group, but Wayne's part is stunning.

  3. #963
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    An episode of Drunk History reminded me how good Sam Cooke was. I had him and Guy Clark (an odd mix) on a playlist while I was working in the garage.
    Both amazing artists. Which reminds me, if you haven’t heard Wilson Pickett and Duane Allman do “Hey Jude”, you’re missing out. No less than Eric Clapton called it the best guitar solo ever.

    my name is Matt

  4. #964
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Both amazing artists. Which reminds me, if you haven’t heard Wilson Pickett and Duane Allman do “Hey Jude”, you’re missing out. No less than Eric Clapton called it the best guitar solo ever.

    Proposing that the two of'em cover Hey Jude was a stroke of genius (though some present apparently thought it nuts); the session when that happened at FAME is noted in the documentary Muscle Shoals (an absolute must see for relevant music aficionados) and the cut is on the "Duane Allman, an Anthology" album (a must have). The photoshoot was right here in Tally, out at the FSU Rez, Lake Bradford; out-takes and photos used are about half way down this webpage: https://www.popspotsnyc.com/Allman_B...s_First_Album/

    Clarence Carter's "The Road of Love" (same album) hits it out of the park, too; what a powerful singer; and the life stories of these folks is just mind bending.

    Picking up the sticks not quite two years ago has been amazing on it's own; but the documentaries and life histories of folks like these guys, which the drums led me to discover, are even more amazing and rewarding.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  5. #965
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Proposing that the two of'em cover Hey Jude was a stroke of genius (though some present apparently thought it nuts); the session when that happened at FAME is noted in the documentary Muscle Shoals (an absolute must see for relevant music aficionados) and the cut is on the "Duane Allman, an Anthology" album (a must have). The photoshoot was right here in Tally, out at the FSU Rez, Lake Bradford; out-takes and photos used are about half way down this webpage: https://www.popspotsnyc.com/Allman_B...s_First_Album/

    Clarence Carter's "The Road of Love" (same album) hits it out of the park, too; what a powerful singer; and the life stories of these folks is just mind bending.

    Picking up the sticks not quite two years ago has been amazing on it's own; but the documentaries and life histories of folks like these guys, which the drums led me to discover, are even more amazing and rewarding.
    I have been meaning to watch the Muscle Shoals docu since I started keeping a list during covid. Need to do that before baseball season.

    And that Duane album is an absolute stunner. I have it in iTunes but curiously on Spotify “Hey Jude” is greyed out but you can find it under Wilson Pickett.

  6. #966
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I have been meaning to watch the Muscle Shoals docu since I started keeping a list during covid. Need to do that before baseball season.

    And that Duane album is an absolute stunner. I have it in iTunes but curiously on Spotify “Hey Jude” is greyed out but you can find it under Wilson Pickett.
    Isn't it though!
    I Once had it in vinyl; now have it on CD.
    If you've never seen the album photos, check'em out at the page I linked.

    Yeah, def watch it. It kinda rocked my world. Anybody seriously interested in music and the arc of the lives of others, particularly in the music genre, should watch it. It's an incredible musical and cultural history framed by the Civil Rights era. It should be part of university curricula.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  7. #967
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Isn't it though!
    I Once had it in vinyl; now have it on CD.
    If you've never seen the album photos, check'em out at the page I linked.

    Yeah, def watch it. It kinda rocked my world. Anybody seriously interested in music and the arc of the lives of others, particularly in the music genre, should watch it. It's an incredible musical and cultural history framed by the Civil Rights era. It should be part of university curricula.
    My Saturday evening is Muscle Shoals documentary, played loud. Thanks m
    my name is Matt

  8. #968
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA.
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    This.

    Love this guy!
    Last edited by bironi; 03-05-2023 at 02:39 AM. Reason: stupidity

  9. #969
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    My Saturday evening is Muscle Shoals documentary, played loud. Thanks m
    Glad you enjoyed it.

    I watched it again last night for probably the 6th time. I can't imagine being there, watching and listening to the birth of what came out of that building, from those people; how amazing that they shot some film at the time. Every artist in the documentary could turn me to jelly....but the scenes where the whole place ground to a halt, stuck in quicksand with Aretha on "I Ain't Never Loved a Man", everybody scratching their heads and coming up with nothing, Spooner Oldham just diddling away on the keys....then suddenly he hit that chord progression; and Aretha's rocketship left Earth...if that cut doesn't do something to ya, get into your gut, you're probably dead.

    This two-part Laurel Canyon documentary is pretty special too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Canyon_(TV_series)
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  10. #970
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,652
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    David Lindley. He died the other day. He came to the Van Dyck in Schenectady several years ago. He played a great show, featuring those ouds he could get the most amazing sounds from. Them this was his last song and he stepped off the stage and walked upstairs and was done. I about fell out of my chair.


  11. #971
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    911
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Gary Rossington died today, the last surviving founding member of Lynyrd Skynyrd. By coincidence I saw this today:

    http://www.facebook.com/reel/2419469...ibextid=z9DgKg

  12. #972
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Weval's song "Someday" is pretty great, and someone made an amazing video for it with actual pictures/video, not CGI:



    Learning yesterday that they released a new album is why I had to watch that again, and linking to my favorite song from it taught me now that they have a neat visualizer for that song:


  13. #973
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Clyde Stubblefield and Jab'o Starks, The Soul of the Funky Drummer. I'm putting the technique books away for a while to watch and learn from guys like Clyde, Jab'o....and Roger Hawkins; on the "Duane Allman an Anthology" album is the Boz Scaggs cut Loan Me a Dime; the way they turned warm water to a simmer, to a slow boil and finally to a rolling boil gives me goose bumps; and basically unknown little Roger Hawkins' drumming was the locomotive. He was perfect; added what was needed, where it was needed, no more, no less and pulled that freight train home like nobody's biz.

    The Soul of the Funky Drummer:
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  14. #974
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA.
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    I keep coming back to this piece.
    Take the time out to listen.
    There is a real payback.

    By

  15. #975
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lakeland,Fl
    Posts
    1,189
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Quote Originally Posted by bironi View Post
    I keep coming back to this piece.
    Take the time out to listen.
    There is a real payback.

    By
    I took the time, big thanks for this rabbit hole!

    Mike
    Mike Noble

  16. #976
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    150
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Weird day has me listening to old comforts: .

  17. #977
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Olympia, WA.
    Posts
    2,244
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    No recent recommendation here.
    I did take a look at the National Recording Registry listing from 2002 till present.
    I was surprised to see that only two genres were quickly recognized relative to their public exposure.
    The Wailers and Public Enemy were recognized in a much shorter time frame than most.
    I do think those two genres took off quicker than I expected.
    It's an interesting list of treasured recordings.
    Check it out if you will.
    Last edited by bironi; 04-13-2023 at 06:52 PM. Reason: stupidity

  18. #978
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    6,834
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    I love all of Maren Morris’s stuff but if my kids had their way we’d listen to “Rich” on repeat all day, at ever louder and louder volume.

    my name is Matt

  19. #979
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC. Canada.
    Posts
    2,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    Always good …

    IMG_0149.jpeg

  20. #980
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11,116
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: What are you Listening to right now?

    My latest vinyl+digital purchase.

    Old but new to me (and most of the world) music as Najib Alhoush music expansion out of the border was quite limited by the Gaddafi Regime who jailed him, made him disband and kind of forced him to quit music for a while.



    Last edited by sk_tle; 04-28-2023 at 05:40 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Similar Threads

  1. What are you listening to this weekend?
    By GrantM in forum The OT
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 07-25-2017, 09:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •