Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Christopher Tolkien dies at 95

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Christopher Tolkien dies at 95

I am looking forward to the upcoming Amazon series and am hopeful it is faithful to the original concept although nervous it might not be. It is hard to see this as a TV series but I haven't followed its (the series) origins too closely. The origins of the Tolkien universe as described in The Silmarillion is potentially interesting, though it is not really a tellable story as written.

My avatar here indicates my Tolkien fanboy status. I have read LOTR cover to cover several times and picked and dabbled in The Silmarillion and pop in the movies occasionally, though they've been seen enough that there are no longer any surprises in them. They were generally quite well done though to be even more faithful to the original story they might have been twice again as long and the extended LOTR trilogy I have is already 8 or 9 hours long. They hold up surprisingly well against the awful backdrop of The Hobbit, whose primary redeeming feature is attempting to film some parts of the almost unfilmable Silmarillion story as a backdrop for the origins of the Rings. That story (Hobbit) doesn't have the material for a long film trilogy. One, tops. I digress...

Hopefully the works are still in good hands.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Christopher Tolkien dies at 95

I remember the silmarillon as being very painful to read with all the annotations. It was a great way to dig more into the tolkien's world nonetheless.

With the years I have been more attracted with Terry Pratchett's burlesque discworld universe.

--
    T h o m a s