Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday Night Lights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Friday Night Lights

Wasn't sure who to message about this...

The view counts suggest that FNL is still popular. If the usuals would like it to continue but don't want to start the threads, I'd be happy to take over starting them. (I would just need new-thread privileges over there, which I don't currently have.) I hope it doesn't die off, but would understand if you'd rather it just fade away...

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Friday Night Lights

I was wondering if/when this would start again, certainly hope it does, realize this is more work for the builders but I very much appreciate(as I've stated before) viewing whats new and inspiring.

Happy, healthy and prosperous new year to you all,

regards, Brian
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I propose this:

We start a FNL thread this week and it alone stays open ad infinitum (that's Latin). It alone will be the repository. But - and there's always a big butt - after the initial post, people in the trade only post on Friday each week. That is, you add your content as was the norm, but not on the other six days. Maybe I'll even lock the thread during the week to keep it haute.

This way will allow the legacy to continue, and anyone who has content to add (images, not narratives) can do so every Friday.

Talk. To. Me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds great e-R!

One question, is there a way to automate the lock-unlock.
    I'm just thinking about how the current FNL mods are not always around.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ll get it sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Sounds great e-R!

One question, is there a way to automate the lock-unlock.
    I'm just thinking about how the current FNL mods are not always around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    I propose this:

Talk. To. Me.

Richard - Sure, I think that's a great idea. With less weekly participation, an ongoing thread might be the way to go.
    (And happy to help, if needed, as well.)

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for doing that, guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I propose this:
    Maybe I'll even lock the thread during the week to keep it haute.

This way will allow the legacy to continue, and anyone who has content to add (images, not narratives) can do so every Friday.

Talk. To. Me.
    Won't locking the thread 6 days a week make it harder for those in the trade to contribute? I don't care what day of the week it is when someone in the trade generously shares their time and efforts to post, I'm just grateful they posted. Let's not limit their window to do so.
    Rob Segal
    Built my first one back in '77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingbear View Post
    Won't locking the thread 6 days a week make it harder for those in the trade to contribute? I don't care what day of the week it is when someone in the trade generously shares their time and efforts to post, I'm just grateful they posted. Let's not limit their window to do so.
    "Friday Night (in spirit) Lights"
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingbear View Post
    For the sake of discussion here, that's what Smoked Out threads exist for. Separately, the galleries are for clients, fans, and acolytes of particular brands. And FNL was concocted by Steve (thanks Garro) so that one day a week each maker can show what's on the bench.

You feelin' this, or are we on different pages?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the sake of discussion here, that's what Smoked Out threads exist for. Separately, the galleries are for clients, fans, and acolytes of particular brands. And FNL was concocted by Steve (thanks Garro) so that one day a week each maker can show what's on the bench.

My thoughts are that of the few who already contribute to FNL, some may not be able to post on Friday.

FNL is a nice weekly picture dump with no commentary. Smoked Out is a little more interactive, and some who post in FNL may not have a Smoked page.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... And FNL was concocted by Steve (thanks Garro) so that one day a week each maker can show what's on the bench.

I would say there's no need to lock it during the week. The name implies when one should post. If some jump in early on Thursday, no big deal. Can't help the Tuesday-posters, though.

(I liked the original "rules", too... Raw metal only and no complete bikes. Workbench photos! But that's just me. I know that was ditched long ago.)

-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only speak to my own viewing habits: I regularly follow the FNL posts; I like the variety, in process photos, and the occasional surprises. I rarely if ever visit Smoked Out threads.
    Rob Segal
    Built my first one back in '77

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At. Wits’. End.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My view -- I just click on "New Posts" when I come into the forum, so I see all the threads with new posts, and can quickly scan through. Smoked Out threads come up when they've been updated. I've rarely posted to the FNL threads, and even then it usually wasn't on Friday. I do most of my frame work on the weekends, being a full-time working stiff as well. So... I have no issue holding onto those photos until the following Friday, if it so happens.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an observer, here are my thoughts:

I think it's great to have a thread like that. Therefore, it would suit me to have more builders participate regularly.

I think it is MUCH more convenient for punters like me if it's one continuous thread, not a new one each week. With the date stamp, I don't see a point in having a new thread each week.

In this thread, the objectives for the FNL thread have not been clarified sufficiently. For example, why only on Fridays rather than Tuesdays or indeed any day? To what end? Whatever it is, is it worth being a hurdle to more participation if that is indeed an inconvenience for some? Who is your intended audience?

I understand that people can post on their respective Smoked Out threads any time they feel like it, but I think those threads cater to an audience with different motives and interest or awareness level wrt any given builder or even the type of thread. What I like about FNL is that I can see work by a variety of builders, some that were previously unknown to me and therefore probably would not have me visiting their Smoked Out thread if the builder has one, without having to wade through comments from the gallery, of which I am a member. Sometimes, it's just preferable to simply enjoy the visuals. Other times, it's informative and entertaining to read comments as well as captions. For this observer, it's nice to have both options.

I don't see a problem with the name FNL remaining unchanged even if it turns into Every Night or Any Night. Or Day.

Just so we're clear, I'm not looking for answers to the questions above. They are meant to be possible food for thought for those involved in making the decisions.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

p.s., depending on the objectives, it would be great if FNL is also a distinct IG account. Yes, it would require someone to do the work, which introduces additional problems to be solved. But it would be an awesome account.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chik

Thank you for chiming in.

Re Instagram - Each contributor is free to link social media in his her signature. Mine is. Others already do this.

Re FNL’s format - We should respect Garro’s original concept and make this slot a one day a week portal where makers can show what they’re working on. Further to this, it’s my opinion that folks should adhere to a less is more driver. If people wanna drop studio and glam shots only and forsake the workroom progress ones, it defeats the (again) original concept.

Re Smoked Out - All are welcome to create their own storylines, and have always been welcomed.

Re participation on FNL - Where did everybody go? When that question is answered maybe we can move forward, or rebuild.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chik

Thank you for chiming in.

Re Instagram - Each contributor is free to link social media in his her signature. Mine is. Others already do this.

Re FNL’s format - We should respect Garro’s original concept and make this slot a one day a week portal where makers can show what they’re working on. Further to this, it’s my opinion that folks should adhere to a less is more driver. If people wanna drop studio and glam shots only and forsake the workroom progress ones, it defeats the (again) original concept.

Re Smoked Out - All are welcome to create their own storylines, and have always been welcomed.

Re participation on FNL - Where did everybody go? When that question is answered maybe we can move forward, or rebuild.
    Yes, the problem seems yet to be identified. First things first.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Yes, the problem seems yet to be identified. First things first.
    If we wanna get analytical, the answer is two-fold.
    On one hand, the attrition rate among people who make frames thinking they'll continue to do so is off the charts. It's reality.
    And then you have social media. This wasn't a thing when we started V Place in 2007. Once people tasted Facebook and Instagram, the forum template was affected mightily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast