User Tag List

Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Voter turnout will probably be high, but the deck has been stacked so far in favor of money, monied interests, corporations and the wealthy, that “the people” have been rendered effectively powerless. One of our political parties today exists solely for the agglomeration of more power in service of those ends.
    So you are saying that we are poised for a communist party president?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good job OP!!! It’s working for you-back doored into getting a political debate started-
    H
    I see what you did here
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    Good job OP!!! It’s working for you-back doored into getting a political debate started-

I see what you did here��
    I think the Russians hacked into DalTex’s account...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    I think the Russians hacked into DalTex’s account...
    Nyet, da, navernoe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Eric nails it. That is the thing, we are "human" at essence because of our abilities to relate to one another. Degrees of separation confuse our abilities to communicate well also serve to further separate our (appropriate) response. For instance, if all of us were at a backyard social eating platefuls of BBQ and talking about the same d@mn things we'd disagree, fight, kiss and make up than talk about our lives in general, the weather and why YOUR football team sux.

Basically the internet is the devil incarnate.
    I've got a close relative that is a software engineer who works from home. Her Facebook account typically supports and reposts popular views, even the inaccurate ones. She doesn't deal with people in real life very often, just over the internet and occasional phone calls. Early in 2018, she asked me what I thought about Beto, my response was that he had some good ideas but couldn't beat Cruz. I was just looking at the numbers at the time and the election ended up being closer than I thought it would be, but both she and her husband were offended that I offered a response that differed from theirs. I try to keep emotions out of politics, I'm an engineer for at least another two years, I look at the numbers and facts, I refuse to get emotionally invested in politics.

The weather here has been cool with frequent rain showers this week including a decent monsoon that changed several MTB routes with some washouts and I expect the Seahawks to take out the Rams tonight.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you are saying that we are poised for a communist party president?
    Not sure where you got that from. (“isms,” in my opinion, are not good.) I guess what I’m saying is that it seems like money has won.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    You have my vote for dictator. Power to the pedal!
    But first he must stop waffling on the disc brake question!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Money has won.

It's always been haves versus have nots. Not about isms at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not so sure it is as black and white as money has won.

It is more about gaining and maintaining power and then using that power to further your own agenda.

In cases where it was about isms (Russia or China), power ultimately corrupted and it became about putting the boot into the neck of the populace in order to maintain that power. The isms went out the window. Communism of course collapsed in Russia and after a few years messing around, Putin was elected and has walked in lock step with the billionaires in order to maintain power. In China, communism went out a while back and now it is a bunch of men seeking to maintain their grip on power.

With Trump, it is perfectly clear he has committed an impeachable offence, yet the Republicans, having the numbers in the Senate will not convict him. While they would still maintain power if they did (through the VP), they won't as it would give credence to their opponents and open the door to a Democratic victory in 2020.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure where you got that from. (“isms,” in my opinion, are not good.) I guess what I’m saying is that it seems like money has won.
    The voting public is so disgusted with both parties, both of which have no room to maneuver may lead to a third party candidate...a very strong one.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-08-2019 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The voting public is so disgusted with both parties, both of which have no room to maneuver may lead to a third party candidate...a very strong one.
    I hope so. But neither side in this duopoly wants a challenger from outside their ranks. They’re very satisfied with the status quo.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they, though? I know very few people who express this sentiment. I know a lot of people who are disgusted with the opposite party of the one they're affiliated with, though. I'd also say that there are a lot of false equivalencies being put forth as a new flavor of political correctness. Both parties suck, but they don't both suck the same.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have the same problem in Australia. Two main parties and gradual voter disengagement due to political games and ineptitude. This has meant both main parties have bleed votes over the years with a handful of independents and representatives from minor parties elected to Parliament. But, it is not enough to change the status quo with Government being formed one or the other major party. However, it is a pretty close run thing and the current Government is only in power by a fairly narrow margin. There will or should be a tipping point at some stage, with climate issues being the likely issue to tip the scale, but the problem is that the 'alternative' is just not that attractive. Regretfully, we live in "interesting" times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Australia, we've got drought. We've got unspeakably massive bushfires. We've got a PM who thinks "thoughts and prayers" are an acceptable replacement for actually having a plan and doing something about that plan.

In normal times he might have been able to get away with things, but he seems to be facing the perfect storm because sadly much of the Australian population seems to be experiencing the perfect storm. Imagine being restricted to running the washing machine once a week because your town is running out of water and then when you are threatened by a bushfire, being told by some smug condescending bastard that his thoughts and prayers are with you.

Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer a plan in those circumstances. It's a bit like being told not to worry because the government has bought a lottery ticket.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Change Your Mind (Ep. 379) - Freakonomics Freakonomics

Freakonomics has an interesting podcast on why its so hard to change our minds. The first part with Sapolsky is just okay, but the next part with Francis Fukuyama is very interesting.

You see a lot of this in the litmus test from both parties. Republicans view RINOS as traitors, and the far left view the moderates as not left enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because a thread would resemble Monty Python's argument sketch? -Mike G

M: An argument isn't just contradiction.

O: Well! it CAN be!

M: No it can't!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

probably because anyone with sanity is bored and already and knows the dude should be impeached. maybe we are hesitant to want to know how broken the system is when he doesnt officially have to leave. see, im bored already talking about things which are obvious
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voter turnout will probably be high, but the deck has been stacked so far in favor of money, monied interests, corporations and the wealthy, that “the people” have been rendered effectively powerless. One of our political parties today exists solely for the agglomeration of more power in service of those ends.
    and dont forget that there is a pretty big group of people (actual humans) who vote this same way, even though money isnt actually their interest, they just think it is. They will vote to eliminate parks and all of the other things we the people actually still own, because someone is selling them "economy" in politics. Communists governments run economies.

Justifying the current admins job by noting "the economy" is getting dull. the economy aint what it used to be, but the entrepreneurs risking their cash are still bored of folks giving Trump credit where very little is deserved.

do you have anything to say OP? or are you ducking?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going too, but spent too much time flushing the toilet 10-15 times after every use this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked at my toilet very closely all 15 times I flushed just now. Very closely.