User Tag List

Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: It’s telling that there’s no Impeachment thread on VS...

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I get enough if it via the news outlets and social media so I personally do not want to listen to it here.

VSalon is supposed to be a nice respite from the real world (for me at least).
    ”It’s telling that there’s no one yelling ‘fire’ in this crowded theater.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I get enough if it via the news outlets and social media so I personally do not want to listen to it here.
    The thing a VSalon thread on impeachment would offer -- if we had one, which we apparently still don't -- that I don't get via most of the news outlets and all of the social media, is (mostly) well-reasoned. comprehensive, and articulate commentary. I would gladly give up Facebook for eternity if VSalon had a dedicated vibrant & ongoing Politics subforum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    The thing a VSalon thread on impeachment would offer -- if we had one, which we apparently still don't -- that I don't get via most of the news outlets and all of the social media, is (mostly) well-reasoned. comprehensive, and articulate commentary. I would gladly give up Facebook for eternity if VSalon had a dedicated vibrant & ongoing Politics subforum.
    I gave up FB about a year or more ago. Life got better. FB is a toxic dumpster fire.

Deleted every post, comment,like, etc. Took quite a while. Then announced my imminent departure if folks wanted to stay in touch and a couple weeks later disconnected the life support. Deleted my account. Still do Instagram but that’s happily mostly devoid of toxic political content.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 12-07-2019 at 11:22 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alas most current political discussions are lacking a central requirement. Without some level of agreement about facts, discussion is pretty pointless. Unfortunately even on VS we have reached a state where the two prevailing views of the world have little or no overlap. So all that is left is bitter nasty name calling.

I'll pass.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    So all that is left is bitter nasty name calling.
    And that's what we know as the new normal. It's a cheap reality show vote-off episode every hour.

I too will pass.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I gave up FB about a year or more ago. Life got better. FB is a toxic dumpster fire.

Deleted every post, comment,like, etc. Took quite a while. Then announced my imminent departure if folks wanted to stay in touch and a couple weeks later disconnected the life support. Deleted my account. Still do Instagram but that’s happily mostly devoid of toxic political content.
    I'm in some small FB groups, not much appears on public. As we progress into 2020, the great culling will begin. Post a stupid, misleading, or completely false story, that person gets the Old Yeller treatment. Perhaps the Lenny Smalls, depends on how well-read that person is.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I'm in some small FB groups, not much appears on public. As we progress into 2020, the great culling will begin. Post a stupid, misleading, or completely false story, that person gets the Old Yeller treatment. Perhaps the Lenny Smalls, depends on how well-read that person is.
    Me likey. These days civil convo seems to occur only at arms length. I'm fine with that however MANY of my friends are not where I'm at most of the time. It's frustrating and normal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm horrified and positively engaged to be part of what is a massive test of our Democracy.
    America has never been a democracy (if it was, the Executive Branch would be controlled by “President Clinton”). And, today, our constitutional republic is actually an oligarchy.

The absence of an impeachment thread tells me this place knows better. Any such thread would quickly devolve into a shit show.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve.
    Classy. But...it doesn’t leave you with many good choices.

Our house is also a facebook free zone and nothing has caught fire. It is not a force for good at the best of times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    America has never been a democracy (if it was, the Executive Branch would be controlled by “President Clinton”). And, today, our constitutional republic is actually an oligarchy.

The absence of an impeachment thread tells me this place knows better. Any such thread would quickly devolve into a shit show.
    I can't delve into your quotes yet I am compelled to say "we shall see" and this has yet to play out regarding your closing.

Our elected, try saying that holding your tongue with two fingers, officials are doing their jobs. Whatever happens will be reflected by primaries and general. Between now and than I'm expecting massive voter engagement. You aren't?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-07-2019 at 04:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Classy. But...it doesn’t leave you with many good choices.

Our house is also a facebook free zone and nothing has caught fire. It is not a force for good at the best of times.
    Well, I once declared myself Supreme Ruler of Freedonia and once declared martial law to be in effect in these United States. Nobody seemed to notice and the citizenry continued to go about their lives.

I intend to vote in 2020 and will support candidates who support truth (or the best approximation we understand in 2020) and not a candidate who tells demonstrable lies and trades in fear, ignorance and conspiracy. That rules out several from both major parties.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have started on an early New Year's resolution that for every hour spent consuming the news and related opinion (and apparently I spend a lot of time on it now that I'm tracking) I'm to spend an equal amount of time on unrelated reading (wife says bike shit don't count including VS ...) including several of Shakespeare's all-too-relevant histories, American History of the past 50 years, maybe some behavioral science etc in an effort to understand how the eff we got here and where we're going from here, I'm making a reading list for coping with it all, looking for literary flotsam to hang on to until the tide comes back in. Suggestions welcome...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I once declared myself Supreme Ruler of Freedonia and once declared martial law to be in effect in these United States. Nobody seemed to notice and the citizenry continued to go about their lives.

I intend to vote in 2020 and will support candidates who support truth (or the best approximation we understand in 2020) and not a candidate who tells demonstrable lies and trades in fear, ignorance and conspiracy. That rules out several from both major parties.
    Dude, I was with you all the way, drafting the manifesto that cycles have exclusive rights to half the road (in the middle), declaring Campagnolo and Shimano bilingual equity, legislating protection for Sram dreamers, spontaneous four day weekend declarations based on National Weather Service forcecast data. We had a small group wielding chain whips and Hozan pedal wrenches (death before dishonor!), ready to dance for the revolution! But then, nobody could find you in the middle of Wisconsin, and the cows looked mean so we went home. Try again?
    Wisconsin_bike.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    Dude, I was with you all the way, drafting the manifesto that cycles have exclusive rights to half the road (in the middle), declaring Campagnolo and Shimano bilingual equity, legislating protection for Sram dreamers, spontaneous four day weekend declarations based on National Weather Service forcecast data. We had a small group wielding chain whips and Hozan pedal wrenches (death before dishonor!), ready to dance for the revolution! But then, nobody could find you in the middle of Wisconsin, and the cows looked mean so we went home. Try again?
    Wisconsin_bike.jpg
    You have my vote for dictator. Power to the pedal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    I have started on an early New Year's resolution that for every hour spent consuming the news and related opinion (and apparently I spend a lot of time on it now that I'm tracking) I'm to spend an equal amount of time on unrelated reading (wife says bike shit don't count including VS ...) including several of Shakespeare's all-too-relevant histories, American History of the past 50 years, maybe some behavioral science etc in an effort to understand how the eff we got here and where we're going from here, I'm making a reading list for coping with it all, looking for literary flotsam to hang on to until the tide comes back in. Suggestions welcome...
    I’d be reading literature from the lead up to the second world war. I hope not, but I’m told history rhymes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm watching all this occur while working on my MA in American History. The term "Founding Fathers" makes my brain itch. I just go to facebook for the cat videos.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get my politics elsewhere, and I'm sure I would be disappointed in some people that post here if we regularly discussed politics. I've had to unfollow some bike people (and relatives for that matter) on facebook because they have some horribly retrograde friends that were not afraid to post things that probably shouldn't be posted in a public forum. And I certainly wouldn't want stuff like that to bleed over onto my account, which seems really difficult to control. I really wish Facebook had a way to filter out politics, because I have had to do it by deleting people that I would otherwise like to know how their life was going.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eric nails it. That is the thing, we are "human" at essence because of our abilities to relate to one another. Degrees of separation confuse our abilities to communicate well also serve to further separate our (appropriate) response. For instance, if all of us were at a backyard social eating platefuls of BBQ and talking about the same d@mn things we'd disagree, fight, kiss and make up than talk about our lives in general, the weather and why YOUR football team sux.

Basically the internet is the devil incarnate.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-08-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Our elected, try saying that holding your tongue with two fingers, officials are doing their jobs. Whatever happens will be reflected by primaries and general. Between now and than I'm expecting massive voter engagement. You aren't?
    Voter turnout will probably be high, but the deck has been stacked so far in favor of money, monied interests, corporations and the wealthy, that “the people” have been rendered effectively powerless. One of our political parties today exists solely for the agglomeration of more power in service of those ends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Voter turnout will probably be high, but the deck has been stacked so far in favor of money, monied interests, corporations and the wealthy, that “the people” have been rendered effectively powerless. One of our political parties today exists solely for the agglomeration of more power in service of those ends.
    Completely true. But that has to be used as motivation to use this moment to overcome all that. We will not get another chance.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver