User Tag List

Thread: Turkish Coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Turkish Coffee

Many moons ago I was a student at Tel Aviv Univ. We only made turkish coffee and almost always the roaster would grind a small abount of Cardamon with the beans...heaven.

I've got yen to reproduce this setup and have a 3 cup Ibrik inbound. Yeeehawww.

When we got it right, a cup of the good stuff far exceeded the quality of most any espresso. It's all about the grind I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Turkish Coffee

Turksh is beyond my paygrade. Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PDAR View Post
    Basically it's Cowboy coffee. We can hack this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Turkish coffee but have thus far left it to the experts. Zaytinya downtown and Fava Pot in Falls Church both stand out for me.

Watching this discussion with interest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They make it at Hummus Place opposite the Jewish Community Center on Amsterdam. The coffee and cardamon is ground finer than you use in espresso. Like powder because you have to actually be able to drink it. When they make it at Hummus Place, it takes a while because someone has to make it. They can't just stick the pot on the fire, go make a falafel and come back when its done. They heat it to a boil 2 or 3 times, removing the pot when it boils, then putting it back on when it settles, so it gets a foamy head. Some people drink it hyper sweet with a lot of sugar. Some get condensed milk. One place I had it in Paris threw in a spoon of walnut pieces and raisins and a whole cardamon pod. That was the great. But I like it best unsweetened with baklava on the side.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baklava. Have yet to find a place here to procure. One of my favs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I favor one small brown sugar cube on the side option if the bitterness, that day, is not floating my boat.

Heating it gently was always our method. I'll use a aluminum disk heat diffuser on our gas range. Also, the LIDO3 hand grinder I got for the travel trailer will do a hella good job for grinding.

YES follow this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From my sister-in-law - if you add coffee and sugar to the water and don't stir until the water heats up, then the sugar cooks a bit and takes on a different flavor. Can't remember the word for it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The one and only time that I had a Turkish coffee was when an HVAC contractor invited a few of us to take a break from the job and join him in a cup in a small, off the main drag shop in Portland. A science project it certainly became and the result was the sweet version....I was wired for quite some time.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caramelized. By leaving the coffee and sugar unmixed in the bottom of the coffee pot, the sugar caramelizes slightly with some of the coffee grounds when the pot is heated. That was the word I couldn't remember.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Caramelized. By leaving the coffee and sugar unmixed in the bottom of the coffee pot, the sugar caramelizes slightly with some of the coffee grounds when the pot is heated. That was the word I couldn't remember.
    Thanks for that. I'm a sucker for regional or small circle food traditions.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-06-2019 at 05:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea Tall One, I have had Turkish coffee from Turkish guys and bottom line it is really fine espresso grind cowboy coffee. Great stuff, but still cowboy coffee, cept'in cowboys don't eat the beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's really easy -- the other thread on this had a tutorial from the 2013 world champion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing to add to the thread except that I worked in Turkey for a vintage a few years ago and we never drank coffee at the winery: I asked about it a couple of times and was told "Doing it properly takes too long, not doing it properly is not acceptable". We drank Çay (tea) instead.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I bought a few pounds of Turkish grind coffee in Chania, Crete in 2003. We had a hotplate in the office to gently boil while stirring then pour over a single packet of "sugar in the raw" in a small cup. It only lasted a couple of weeks but then we started bombing Iraq and forgot about good coffee. I haven't thought about Turkish coffee in a long time. There was a shop that was a lot like a feed store, and the feed was coffee beans. You'd leave with coffee dust on your clothes.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I bought a few pounds of Turkish grind coffee in Chania, Crete in 2003. We had a hotplate in the office to gently boil while stirring then pour over a single packet of "sugar in the raw" in a small cup. It only lasted a couple of weeks but then we started bombing Iraq and forgot about good coffee. I haven't thought about Turkish coffee in a long time. There was a shop that was a lot like a feed store, and the feed was coffee beans. You'd leave with coffee dust on your clothes.
    I can smell that shop when you talk about it Bill. Those were the places I'd buy from.

My first cup was dismal. Second attempt was pretty good. I'll report back after my head stops spinning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PDAR View Post
    Actually is below your paygrade! all you need is one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Arme...216877&sr=8-32 As you can see it's rather inexpensive; or if you want something less expensive, but not as thick and made in China you could buy this for half the price of the above one: Robot Check

Then you either need to find a place that sells ground Turkish coffee or buy a grinder that will grind as fine as powder (about the consistency of powdered sugar), so for the money the Hario Skerton Coffee Mill is the best; see: Robot Check This grinder will do any grind from powder to course grind, so you can use it for whatever type of coffee you want to make. Or if you have a place near where you live that sells pre-ground Turkish (or Armenian) coffee in the bag you can do that as well.

Next follow the instructions, if you don't have any you can use these directions, this works really well actually:

So for under $70 you would have the coffee pot and the grinder, you would spend quite a bit more than that for an espresso machine or even a funky drip maker (I hate drip coffee).

Do not buy an automated Turkish coffee maker, while it is convenient, it does not have as strong of a taste that the real Turkish coffee is famous for.