Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Winter Jackets for Tall Folks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Winter Jackets for Tall Folks

I recently moved to Boston from Seattle and don't have an appropriately warm winter coat for casual wear. Looking for a something to wear around town on the athletic side of appearances, would prefer a hardshell outer for snow and abrasion resistance. I have a Rab heavy softshell that is good to ~25-30* and a Rab down coat for when I want something light and packable but want something with a durable face for day to day. Looking mostly at insulated ski coats or mid-weight parkas.

I am fairly tall with long arms making finding clothes that fit a challenge, Rab size L fits quite well, First Ascent L Tall fits acceptably, most mainstream outdoor brands are too short in the sleeves and/or too boxy (North Face, Mountain Hardware are too boxy, Arcteryx is too short). Rab doesn't have a hard shell insulated coat in the catalog that I can find. I ordered and will be returning a Lands End parka in LT as it was too boxy and the sleeves were too short, past experience suggests the same fit with LL Bean. Looked at eddie bauer talls and don't see anything I really like.

I am looking at other euro brands as they tend to be cut thinner and longer than US brands, any feedback on Helly Hansen fit as I can get them for a good price? They are hard to find in stores
    https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_us/al...t-jacket-65667

Patagonia is hit or miss on fit and often too short but they make a couple nice jackets in this category for premium prices and I can get to a patagonia store to try on.

Any other companies that run long in the arms (or make tall sizes) to look for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter Jackets for Tall Folks

I have the Patagonia City Storm coat. It is very warm and weatherproof. I wear it when the winter is starting to wear me out and I just want to not be cold any longer. I did not pay the full price though, but definitely worth what I paid. I wear a 34 sleeve, and the arms on the coat are plenty long. I wouldn’t describe it as trim. It is parka fit.

I saw this crazy parka at Best Made that I wanted until I saw the price. Reminds me of the sort of thing Eddie Bauer used to sell back when they outfitted Everest expeditions. When men were men. 3L Down Parka | Best Made Co.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want a ski look the Arcteryx Theta AR is long, you can wear that over a down jacket.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he said about Arcteryx. Arms are plenty long even for me ;)
    I've got a Double Mackinaw from Filson which defines wool overkill. They offer several versions "extra long". Gorgeous garments that will take some breaking in. Consider participation in some full contact football post T-Day for a quick start on the break-in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Fjallraven that fits my long torso better than Patagonia or other brands I've tried.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little know fact, the LL Bean performance stuff is pretty good and comes in 'tall' sizes. i'm 6'almost 4"/185 lbs and wear a medium tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m 6’3” with a relatively short torso but long arms and legs. I’ve got an Arc’teryx Therme parka - down + goretex. I’m 170 lbs, and wear a medium. Arms are plenty long, and it’s warm AF, and of course waterproof too. Not cheap tho, as with everything Arc’teryx.

My wife has has a matching version. We’re total dorks, but we’re not cold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found another Rab on close out. It’s been a few hears but arcteryx is a solid 1-2” too short in the sleeves unless I size up for a baggy fit. For reference I wear a 37” dress shirt sleeve and like to have warm wrists when wearing jackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys are the worst. Now I *NEED* a Mackinaw wool vest.

I'm not sure how I survived this long without one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sailor, maybe this is or is not up your alley. I recently squeezed the last breath out of an ancient Eddie Bauer Tall down jacket. It was a POC used for dog walking and crawling under vehicles and not expensive. Got every penny out of that! Lands End, yeah I know, sells tall "stuff" and this jacket is generously long in the arms and body. The sizing is good eg the LG is not made for a hippo and it has a good quality zipper. There are zero "nice to have" adjustments other than a hood drawstring thingee. It arrives flat as a pancake and takes a week to loft. Goots to say I'd do it again. One sale right now 1/11/20 with a code and worth it. Again, NOT your goin' out to Sunday brunch garb and not a POS you'll regret...perfect.

Men's Tall Expedition Winter Down Puffer Jacket
    Men's Expedition Winter Down Puffer Jacket | Lands' End

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect timing for me, even though it is going to hit 60 today here in Pa. I just broke the zipper on my puffy jacket and need to replace it.
    Dan Bare