Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hand Tools and Machinery for Country Living

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    T
    Edit: Extra points awarded if the bar doesn't have to be clamped in a bench vise, which means that I'd have to go back inside to do it, which is of course a pita, or maybe even impossible if the job's being done far from home.

TIA
    Basic file sharpening (I could listen to this guy all day):

I don't think there's any need to worry about raker height out in the woods.

Given how soft the steel is on a chain, three swipes of the file following the witness mark on the top of the tooth will put most chains back in business. I don't see any need for an angle guide if you're paying attention.

Trying to sharpen without some sort of retention on the bar is going to be frustrating and won't be likely to yield a good result.

Two options for retaining your saw in the woods:

1) Traditional stump vice.

2) Clever wooden "vice".

Good luck! I think sharpening a chainsaw blade is pretty straightforward compared to more complex sharpening tasks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll chime in - lots of great YT vids on chain sharpening. And, trust me, anyone on this forum (that is, anyone with even a small amount of mechanical aptitude and has experience with tools) can sharpen a chain. It's easy. Just do it. You will notice the difference immediately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    I'll chime in - lots of great YT vids on chain sharpening. And, trust me, anyone on this forum (that is, anyone with even a small amount of mechanical aptitude and has experience with tools) can sharpen a chain. It's easy. Just do it. You will notice the difference immediately.
    I use a small vise that is smacked into a wood stump. Using a file it is an easy job. Truth? You want the truth??? I just buy chains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That second video is pretty cool.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife's photo of me in my play-suit for the last couple weeks. Sister-in-law visited so trails had to be up to Swiss standards. Which meant a lot of string trimmer. I'm surprised the photo was in focus given how "entertaining" my wife found the outfit. I only stand that way when I can't remember where I put whatever.

Last edited by j44ke; 06-10-2021 at 08:33 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@j44ke What's on your back?

The helmet with a face shield is a good idea. Trimmers are the worst for tossing stuff at your face.

I'd like to find a white (or at least non-orange) one to wear while trimming at home. Kask makes several models, but mostly in Europe. Wearing a helmet around the yard might look goofy, but a couple weeks ago the eye doctor told me there are three new mystery scratches on my eye. Even relatively safe homeowner power tools can do damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    @j44ke What's on your back?

The helmet with a face shield is a good idea. Trimmers are the worst for tossing stuff at your face.

I'd like to find a white (or at least non-orange) one to wear while trimming at home. Kask makes several models, but mostly in Europe. Wearing a helmet around the yard might look goofy, but a couple weeks ago the eye doctor told me there are three new mystery scratches on my eye. Even relatively safe homeowner power tools can do damage.
    A backpack that isn't a battery itself (those are nice but spendy) but a backpack that holds two batteries for the string trimmer. One insert is just a padded case for a spare battery but the other insert has an electrical connection and a power cable that runs out the side of the backpack and plugs into the rear of the string trimmer. The trimmer has some oomph to it. Can launch some rocks.

I have three batteries. Two batteries gives me about 3 hours working time - meaning the trimmer isn't on all the time but I am working with it for 3 hours. So I work three hours, then pop one battery in the charger while having lunch, then I have two charged batteries for 3 hours in the afternoon. After that, I am ready to be hung from the ceiling. 6 hours of string trimming puts a "S" in my spine.

I can see getting a lighter trimmer for periodic spot work and keeping this one for heavy clearing, but right now, the plants are all fighting back so the extra power is worth the extra weight.

I like the Kask helmets. A place over near Kingston NY carries them. I'll get over there at some point.
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-10-2021 at 09:09 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no way I could do six hours of yard work in one day.

You are now my hero.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    There's no way I could do six hours of yard work in one day.

You are now my hero.

SPP
    Thanks. Same back at you for your dedicated riding routine.

But also - you haven't met my sister-in-law. Let's just say I had motivation.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone here have any intel on Worx cordless chainsaws?

If I choose, I can get a 40V 14" model for free. (It's a boondoggle thing at work, where I can choose between that, a variety of watches, and misc other stuff)

This was probably the most interesting item of the bunch, but I suppose a Citizen Eco-Drive chronometer watch might also work. However, I already have several solar-powered watches (no chronographs) so I'm not too keen on that.

https://www.worx.com/40v-14-inch-cor...ion-wg384.html

It seems to get pretty good reviews online, but of course one has to "know it's limitations" to paraphrase Dirty Harry. One drawback I see is that it only comes with one pair of batteries (it uses two at once) which of course limits your work time, but it looks like there are generic batteries out there that are compatible and reasonably priced. (OEM replacements are ~$100 for the pair)

Any thoughts or comments? Obviously the #1 factor in it's favor is that it's free, but if it's a POC I'll get something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks remarkably like a trimmed down version of the Makita chainsaw, if you can imagine the blue plastic removed from the Makita. That's a pretty popular light-duty chainsaw. The batteries are 2.0ah though, so that's not a lot. Would be better at 5 or 6ah to get some additional work time, but if these are compatible, they do make a 6ah battery. Also if the website is correct, there is a 16" bar and chain for it too. That would be a good upgrade, particularly if the 6ah battery fits the saw also.

Best part about it is - it is a tool and it is free (though imagine there was some work on your part to earn the offer.) It would have to be horrible really not to be worth it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    After that, I am ready to be hung from the ceiling. 6 hours of string trimming puts a "S" in my spine.
    I have to do a lot of trimming also. Helps a lot to just lift your rearward hand to lower the trimmer head, rather than bending over. I have to be very mindful of my posture otherwise I am junk the next day. If I pay attention and don’t hunch over, I can run it all day, and actually find it somewhat therapeutic… kind of like building wheels. But I am still a dinosaur, use a Stihl gas job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I have to do a lot of trimming also. Helps a lot to just lift your rearward hand to lower the trimmer head, rather than bending over. I have to be very mindful of my posture otherwise I am junk the next day. If I pay attention and don’t hunch over, I can run it all day, and actually find it somewhat therapeutic… kind of like building wheels. But I am still a dinosaur, use a Stihl gas job.
    Good advice. I'm still practicing the stand up straight part.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks remarkably like a trimmed down version of the Makita chainsaw, if you can imagine the blue plastic removed from the Makita. That's a pretty popular light-duty chainsaw. The batteries are 2.0ah though, so that's not a lot. Would be better at 5 or 6ah to get some additional work time, but if these are compatible
    Thanks for the additional info, Jorn.

It looks like Amazon has a compatible 5 ah battery for $36. Since I'd need two that would be $72.

Right now I think I'll probably get it, and if it meets my expectations I'll get the second pair of batteries.

Will probably get more utility out of that than some of the other stuff to choose from (luggage sets, jewelry, etc.)

Random comment: The $ value of the stuff for these awards isn't that high, and if one's feeling bitter about life or the company I've worked for since I got out of grad school, I suppose some might feel negative about potentially chintzy gifts like this, but I figure WTH, at the least the company's going through the motions of acting like they care... I'm certainly not going to act as if I'm standing on some sort of principle and turn it down. (as the big-wigs award themselves stock options worth $$$$$$$) What's important to me is that I'm happy with the people I work with, that it's interesting work and I get to contribute to some neat stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife's photo of me in my play-suit for the last couple weeks. Sister-in-law visited so trails had to be up to Swiss standards. Which meant a lot of string trimmer. I'm surprised the photo was in focus given how "entertaining" my wife found the outfit. I only stand that way when I can't remember where I put whatever.
    Jorn, did you ever see the PBS Great Castles show on Castle Inverary? I recall the "scion of the Campbell clan" was shown dealing with a downed tree while dressed like you. Might impress the under-impressed in your castle ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Jorn, did you ever see the PBS Great Castles show on Castle Inverary? I recall the "scion of the Campbell clan" was shown dealing with a downed tree while dressed like you. Might impress the under-impressed in your castle ...
    I'll check it out. My wife appreciates my work, but she still enjoys laughing at me. I think that was allowed for in the marriage contract.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    It worked. I am now known as the Duke of Toad Hill.
    Last edited by j44ke; 06-12-2021 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It worked. I am now known as the Duke of Toad Hill.
    I’ll look forward to purchasing your commemorative plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Wow, that was no small thing as far as a technique tip. Much better this round concentrating on levering the head with the back hand. Back feels pretty good still after 3 hours. Thanks.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that was no small thing as far as a technique tip. Much better this round concentrating on levering the head with the back hand. Back feels pretty good still after 3 hours. Thanks.
    Glad it helped!