Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Last minute Qs

Not gonna clog up other threads. So here...last minute fashion Qs directed at those in the know.

1) Standard collar/ Point collar...Half-Windsor or Four in Hand?
    2) Can leather watch strap be a different grain/ texture than your shoes and belt?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Last minute Qs

Half-Windsor with a pointed collar.
    Note: Collar style should compliment the shape of your face, which then dictates the size of the knot.
    Yes, a leather watch strap can stand alone - not matching textures. But I would shoot for a consistent patina in leathers. Don’t let one be of worse condition than the other.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    ... I would shoot for a consistent patina in leathers. Don’t let one be of worse condition than the other.
    That is some next level advice. Well done.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgorman View Post
    That is some next level advice. Well done.
    Yeah, he beat me to it and nailed it by stepping up to the comment about the condition. Matching leathers from shoes to belt to watch strap would be too matchy-matchy. But they should be the same color and also have a similar level of gloss/finish. A casual distressed leather watch strap with polished shoes and belt wouldn't be great. Neither would a polished dress watch with distressed leather shoes and rough finished belt. The one exception is that it's totally cool to rock a dress watch with no belt and casual shoes if the watch can stand alone.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    ...The one exception is that it's totally cool to rock a dress watch with no belt and casual shoes if the watch can stand alone.
    Patek Calatrava
    JLC Reverso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Four-in-hand. The simplest knot is king regardless of the collar style or spread. A more complex knot screams "trying too hard" or worse. I wouldn't go anywhere near a knot that has "Windsor" in the name, half or full, not least because the namesake never wore such a knot. No bonus points for guessing how he tied his knot. If you want the knot to be slightly more voluminous, do what he did: tell your tie maker to cut the tie wider at the knot area and use a heavier interlining material (which, incidentally, is how my ties are made). Short of that, or if you are wearing a narrow-ish knitted tie, try the Prince Albert, which, in my book, is the only acceptable alternative.

2. Mind the colour but don't be too fussed about other details. If you wear a watch with a crocodile strap, it doesn't mean you need to wear shoes with croc uppers, etc.

That said, dress the way you feel comfortable. It usually yields the best results anyway.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Yeah, he beat me to it and nailed it by stepping up to the comment about the condition. Matching leathers from shoes to belt to watch strap would be too matchy-matchy. But they should be the same color and also have a similar level of gloss/finish. A casual distressed leather watch strap with polished shoes and belt wouldn't be great. Neither would a polished dress watch with distressed leather shoes and rough finished belt. The one exception is that it's totally cool to rock a dress watch with no belt and casual shoes if the watch can stand alone.
    agreed. i used to be against males over the age of twelve wearing sneakers when not engaged in sport. i blame Kanye, California, and real rich people out here for my change of heart. there's folks wearing $2500 Yeezys and that's cool- but isn't it cooler to be the other guy at the car show who's wearing an old pair of New Balances and a $12 Hanes T-Shirt that says, "2019 Smythe Children's Hospital Kid's Fun Run". That's a dude who is worth billions- and if he's wearing dirty old sneakers out in public so can't we all. I'm never going to think his Lexus is cool though.

I'm still convinced though that unless you're in the SAS and driving a Land Rover in the Oman- for god's sake get a real watch strap for that thing. A NATO strap is wonderful for Corporal Piggin- but it's really stupid on that fat guy who works in IT's IWC.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    I'm still convinced though that unless you're in the SAS and driving a Land Rover in the Oman- for god's sake get a real watch strap for that thing. A NATO strap is wonderful for Corporal Piggin- but it's really stupid on that fat guy who works in IT's IWC.
    If you're bothered by an IWC, you'll love this. Yes, it's not a NATO but that's only because the pins are so close to the body that there's not enough of a gap to thread one through. I think it works great with the military dial. I wouldn't wear it on this strap with a suit, but then I think the only proper watch for a suit is made out of gold.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.