Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Last minute Qs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Last minute Qs

That's the best looking AP I've ever seen; most of them look like overpriced Invictas.

I thought the definition of a NATO strap was that it was one piece and passed under the strap bars. A two piece nylon watch strap is just that; a two piece nylon strap.

And no, one would not wear that strap on a formal occasion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    That's the best looking AP I've ever seen; most of them look like overpriced Invictas.

I thought the definition of a NATO strap was that it was one piece and passed under the strap bars. A two piece nylon watch strap is just that; a two piece nylon strap.

And no, one would not wear that strap on a formal occasion.
    NATOs have two straps of nylon, one long and one short. The long goes through the lugs and passes through a ring at the end of the short strap. A Zulu is a single strap of nylon that passes through the lugs. You're correct, the strap in the photo on that nice AP is a two piece nylon strap.

There are many nice aftermarket leather straps that can add some uniqueness to a nice sport model watch. For a dress watch, I say to stick with a nicely finished leather strap, ideally from the original manufacture. For a formal occasion it's fair to debate tang buckle vs. deployant clasp, but that's about it.

And, most importantly, remember that leather straps are wear and tear items. Hygiene matters. If it's grungy, replace it.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    [snip]There is a certain type of very early, rare Rolex Daytona that is commonly referred to as the "Paul Newman model". It got its nickname because PN wore one, and it's highly collectible. There aren't very many collectible Rolexes, but this is one of them. [snip]
    This statement is simply false.

There are very many highly collectible and expensive Rolex watches some of which are vintage (i.e. Submariner Red, milSub, Explorer up to the 1016, Explorer II 16550, Milgaus, Bubbleback) and more modern models (i.e. Daytona with Zenith Movement, Sea Dweller 4000, Sea Dweller James Cameron).

And you are correct, while not "official", one variant of the Rolex Daytona got its nickname after Paul Newman was seen wearing his in an advertisement in an Italian magazine. Unfortunately this may be the only one that most non-collectors know about because it has seen a great deal of press lately after the actual Paul Newman's "Paul Newman" Daytona was sold at auction.

Hodinkee

Full auction

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You get an A+ for personal style even though many of the matchy-matchy-purple choices were probably not your own.

You get an F for the shoes only because they are not polished. I am going to assume you still lived in Boston when you owned/wore those. I wish I knew why Bostonians do not take care of and/or polish their shoes. I get that the style here is, the poorer you dress the more money you actually have (unless you are a Undergrad/Grad/Phd student), but please for the love of all things holy, I wish more people in Boston would take care of their damn dress shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    Check out the maid of honor in this picture:

Examine how well the DvN suit pairs with shoes popularized by the Milano recreational heroin user community- and the same shirt and tie I would have worn at my first holy communion were I a) blind and/or b) from New Jersey and/or c) an Orphan whose only thing his parents ever gave him was color blindness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCfixie, many thanks for that insight. You would be a tremendous asset for Christie's, Sotheby's or Antiquorum. :)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    This statement is simply false.

There are very many highly collectible and expensive Rolex watches some of which are vintage (i.e. Submariner Red, milSub, Explorer up to the 1016, Explorer II 16550, Milgaus, Bubbleback) and more modern models (i.e. Daytona with Zenith Movement, Sea Dweller 4000, Sea Dweller James Cameron).
    A minor correction, that would be the Exp II 1655, also known as the 'Steve McQueen'. I owned one at one time and though I sold it before the prices went crazy, I still more than tripled my money.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    You get an A+ for personal style even though many of the matchy-matchy-purple choices were probably not your own.

You get an F for the shoes only because they are not polished. I am going to assume you still lived in Boston when you owned/wore those. I wish I knew why Bostonians do not take care of and/or polish their shoes. I get that the style here is, the poorer you dress the more money you actually have (unless you are a Undergrad/Grad/Phd student), but please for the love of all things holy, I wish more people in Boston would take care of their damn dress shoes.
    the scruffy dress shoes are an intentional look- i always thought scuffed up shoes was a Belgian/northern European thing. I guess you're right though- certainly shiny spit shined shoes aren't really a Boston professional look in my experience except for African-American Bostonians who seemingly at least among my pals- always have not only awesome dress shoes but keep'em shined. worn and dirty dress shoes and a brown sports coat and a plain tie for a casual but non- physical labor kind of job- and shoes not in any better codition with a black suit for a job that requires business attire has always been the look for Bostonians.

Again- the only other folks who seem to wear shitty looking shoes are Belgians and Pariseans. (At least in the case of the latter- they're usually wearing really nice shoes.)

Hey- at least all my female besties are super hot regardless of what they're wearing.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    A minor correction, that would be the Exp II 1655, also known as the 'Steve McQueen'. I owned one at one time and though I sold it before the prices went crazy, I still more than tripled my money.
    You are correct about the "first" Explorer II 1655 and thanks for the update as I sometimes get the numbers mixed up.

With that said, the early 16550 (and some very early 16570) Explorer II Polar models with the "creamy" lume and/or dial are shooting up in value.

I purchased new in 1994 an Explorer II Polar 16570. It had a "tritium" dial with all original parts so I did very well on the recent sale but not as good as I could have if the lume on the hands and dial had turned. Earlier tritium dials are worth more than the newer non-tritium dials post about 1995 (if I recall correctly) when they changed the lume formula.

Rolex Explorer II 1655 (aka Steve McQueen although it cannot be proven if he ever actually wore one)

Rolex Explorer II 16550 Polar - Tritium dial (creamy dial)
    *** One can easily tell this apart from the 16570 due to the bolder numbers on the bezel
    *** One can tell tritium dials apart from newer ones by the "swiss T < 25" on the bottom of the dial

Rolex Explorer II 16570 Polar - Tritium dial
    *** One can tell tritium dials apart from newer ones by the "swiss T < 25" on the bottom of the dial

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123