Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finally Bought Some Land II

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Finally Bought Some Land II

Yes, perhaps a title sequence to Jorn's thread but a little different plot (no pun intended). Still doesn't negate the fact I BOUGHT A LITTLE PIECE OF MOTHER f'en NATURE. Closed the deal Oct 28 And I'm thrilled about it.

This piece is located in the Northeast region of Asheville, NC. Just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and Elk Mountain Scenic HWY - aka cycling country! At only two acres, she's little, but elevation is 3,620ft with long range views of North and South makes for privacy not often found in a small lot. With a well, septic, and house platform already in place it makes for an easy transition into designing/building a home. Unfortunately, that's where I'm going to exercise a great deal of patience.

Ya see, the purchase of this land is the first step into retirement. Next step comes in five plus years... During this time money will be stashed away in order to fund construction. The plan is to be mortgage free in the next 6 years.

So without further ado... Fall photos of street and surrounding areas:

Elk Trail 2.jpg

Elk Trail 1.jpg

BR2.jpg

BR1.jpg
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Finally Bought Some Land II

You. Are. My. Hero.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds and looks like a brilliant spot and plan! Those five years will go faster than you know!

Cheers!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well done. WELL DONE! (pat on the back, muss of the hair)

I would love to be as far along as you are. I also really like the elevation of your property--there's nothing like hot summer days followed by a real temperature drop at night, not to mention good crisp air. I'm hoping for a similar situation out here in the West.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent sauce! I am glad this is proving contagious. The Blue Ridge is an incredible place to own property. I spent many a happy hour falling down and filling my waders with ice cold spring water while chasing 6-8" native brook trout in the streams and creeks of the Blue Ridge.

I am full of advice (well, full of it generally speaking) but I'd say smaller house is better because it makes your land bigger (and is cheaper to heat/cool,) spend money on bigger nicer windows and excellent doors, and expect your known-unknowns (well, septic, excavation) to be more than what everyone says - except you already have those things in the bag so woohoo! spend it on the windows and doors!

And bike shop. 1/2 acre for the bike shop.

Congrats! Keep posting photos.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-31-2019 at 04:07 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good for you. Well, septic, and house platform is a real bonus: work you don't have to do. Find a yurt within your budget and you will be all set for the time being. Friends who had been afloat for three years asked my advice when the decided it was time to settle down and lived in two yurts for the next five.

It's a great feeling to own land. Nothing quite like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Good for you. Well, septic, and house platform is a real bonus: work you don't have to do. Find a yurt within your budget and you will be all set for the time being. Friends who had been afloat for three years asked my advice when the decided it was time to settle down and lived in two yurts for the next five.

It's a great feeling to own land. Nothing quite like it.
    I need you to talk to my wife. I've been trying to sell her on the yurt idea for years. No dice so far.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can live on a boat for years, a yurt is a snap. No seasickness a bigger bonus. If the platform is already there, it's really easy to erect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can recommend Eagle's Nest Outfitters (ENO) hammocks. Nothing like a hammock on your own property. Just make sure you lash your hammock to a well-rooted tree.
    Last edited by j44ke; 10-31-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, I work outside of the US - making the search and purchase very time consuming and expensive. Having to fly back and forth was not a fun process. Having this phase done makes up half of the excitement.
    But fortunately, this work situation enables me to step away and concentrate on design. I have a few ideas and will laying them out for criticism in the near future.

For now I'm learning all I can about netzero or passive building techniques. My goal will be to use these techniques to minimize utility costs - not to chase a certification or plaque. The problem I face will be the windows.

Must haves are North and South facing windows - read entire wall of windows. I anticipate 40% of my building cost will be windows. Other necessity will be radiant hydronic heated floors (although I'll struggle to find antiquate space for the solar heaters).

Lots to keep me awake at night...

Thanks all for the kind words!
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you insulate the house well, you can heat it with a 1500 watt heater. Radiant floors are an expensive solution to a simple problem. Nice, but complicated. Cellulose insulation into a Larsen truss wall will keep you plenty warm, no matter what is happening outside. Windows are nice, but go outside if you want to look at the view- this is also a cheaper alternative. Look into prefabricated houses, just to see what options there are. Don't overthink it. It's a box you don't want to have to maintain for as long as possible: roof should last thirty years, minimum. Windows should not require reglazing- I hate doing this. Paint doesn't last for beans now that it has no lead in it. Etc. Do it once, do it right. Look around the neighborhood and see what others have done that makes sense. Or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the window and door company we used. Ask me in 5 years how they are doing. Fleetwood Windows & Doors
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    If you insulate the house well, you can heat it with a 1500 watt heater.................
    I was in the same boat you're now in 6 years ago, when I purchased land in Texas and began building my home. Wanting something energy efficient, low maintenance and attractive all at a reasonable cost so that I wouldn't be saddled with a mortgage when I retired from the Army.

I think among the many decisions we made before and during construction one of the best was the use of spray foam insulation. Homes in my area with alternate forms of insulation pay dramatically more in utility costs.

I don't know what you think about fireplaces, or burning wood for heat, but if you are planning a fireplace think about a Fireplace Xtrordinair. Fireplaces | Inserts | Fireplace Xtrordinair | Seattle, WA
    I can heat my entire 2200 sq ft home with the fireplace alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful area.

When we were in the Asheville area in July we stayed at the Sourwood Inn just off Elk Mountain Scenic Hwy. Based on elevation our property must be very close to that Inn.

It is indeed cycling country and I always enjoy my time along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Often think about purchasing a second home near Asheville.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    Wonderful area.

When we were in the Asheville area in July we stayed at the Sourwood Inn just off Elk Mountain Scenic Hwy. Based on elevation our property must be very close to that Inn.

It is indeed cycling country and I always enjoy my time along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Often think about purchasing a second home near Asheville.
    Yes, you are correct. During my first trip back to view the property, we stayed at Sourwood. We were there in August. Missed each other by a month. The entrance to Sourwood is 1 mile from the lot - heading toward Blue Ridge.
    Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I are late 50's and starting to look at retirement/downsize plans. If it were up to me I'd go the modular route like Bellcamp/ which is near us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NorTX-Dave View Post
    I was in the same boat you're now in 6 years ago, when I purchased land in Texas and began building my home. Wanting something energy efficient, low maintenance and attractive all at a reasonable cost so that I wouldn't be saddled with a mortgage when I retired from the Army.

I think among the many decisions we made before and during construction one of the best was the use of spray foam insulation. Homes in my area with alternate forms of insulation pay dramatically more in utility costs.

I don't know what you think about fireplaces, or burning wood for heat, but if you are planning a fireplace think about a Fireplace Xtrordinair. Fireplaces | Inserts | Fireplace Xtrordinair | Seattle, WA
    I can heat my entire 2200 sq ft home with the fireplace alone.
    Where I live, the Northeast, closed-cell foam is used in existing construction when retrofitted with new insulation. It is more expensive than other options, but has a higher R-value per inch than other options. Cellulose requires very deep walls to achieve the same R-Value, but is much less expensive. I have used both together, and agree, they do a great job. The money you spend on insulation done correctly will pay dividends for the duration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rick, since cyclists are notoriously competitive I think you have to out-do Jorn, starting perhaps with something like the "house" shown below. After all, you never know when you're going to need 15,000 ft^2 of living space and an 18 car garage.

318 Wardenburg Farms Dr, Wildwood, MO 635 - realtor.com(R)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Rick, since cyclists are notoriously competitive I think you have to out-do Jorn, starting perhaps with something like the "house" shown below. After all, you never know when you're going to need 15,000 ft^2 of living space and an 18 car garage.

318 Wardenburg Farms Dr, Wildwood, MO 635 - realtor.com(R)

But does it blend?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast