User Tag List

Thread: Eating clubs, traditions and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Eating clubs, traditions and more

Some I know some I'd bloody well lose a pinky finger to be part of.

For instance: Inside the Members-Only Eating Clubs of San Sebastian

Family dinners, occasions, holidays, birth, death all count. The gems that really send me are old, strictly focused on incredibly well prepared regional food made with love.

The closest I have come to this is a small cooks club I was invited to join last year. Everyone of the members are very good cooks. We meet on a irregular basis and share food, wine and laugh. Breaking bread with people is my blood. Food traditions are fantastic. The above link is incredible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eating clubs, traditions and more

A friend nearby in Tyrol is a retired chef who has always done wood turning on the side and this what he does in his retirement. He works on his wood during the day and then goes into his shed, and by about 4.30 a few, maybe 6, locals drop in for a drink. After a while, if the banter is going well, and it is in local Dialekt which is hard, my friend, who makes rustic chopping boards and nice knives, breaks out some local bread, speck, gherkins and other traditional nibbles. Sometimes my friend will make a full on meal on his outside induction hob using local food, chanterelles, neck of pork, gravy, spices, etc. there is no formal charge but there is an honesty box which is never mentioned but always honored. The local lads take it in turns to take the plates and glasses home to do the washing up and return.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We dine/cook once a month with two other couples that we’ve known for a dozen years or so. We rotate houses, mix up the meals and we ALWAYS have dessert. It doesn’t hurt that the one fellow has a wine broker for a brother either.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Their recipe for cooking those 6lb steaks is... interesting -- basically burn the hell out of the outside, leave it nearly raw in the center, and make sure it comes from an old ox. I'm guessing the idea is that with a super-thick cut, the outer layer is a sacrifice zone.