Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hole Saw Difficulties

Hey All!

I am having a brutal time mitering some tubes at the moment. I am trying to notch a Columbus Zona Megatube (biconical type)down tube and the hole saw keeps snagging on its way through, leaving a VERY poor cut. I am using a Starrett hole saw but I am thinking it might be too coarse (6/8 tooth profile). Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Russer72

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hole Saw Difficulties

Quote Originally Posted by Russer72 View Post
    Hey All!

I am having a brutal time mitering some tubes at the moment. I am trying to notch a Columbus Zona Megatube (biconical type)down tube and the hole saw keeps snagging on its way through, leaving a VERY poor cut. I am using a Starrett hole saw but I am thinking it might be too coarse (6/8 tooth profile). Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Russer72
    I'd bet it's your setup as I've used all those things together no sweat.

Zone is super workable unlike a bunch of other truly hard steels

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you removing the chip from the inside when it bottoms out in the hole saw? I always stop mid way to clip the chip off with a pair of tin snips so it doesn't bind in the saw. Also clamp as close to the cut as you can and make sure everything is extremely well clamped down and rigid. Finally, experiment with feeds and speeds and a little coolant or cutting oil. Starrett saws should be ok for this. I do like the Rockhard 10 tpi saws that Missouri Precision sells ( Missouri Precision Tools, Inc. ) I feel they are less prone to snagging. One last thing, try to do your down tube / head tube cut in one try. I find that if I try to trim a down tube it wants to snag about 3/4 the way through the tube when the tooth angle and the tube wall reach a certain geometry. On the initial cut the part being cut off seems to help support the tube during this phase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's driving the hole saw and what is holding the tube? I agree- feeds and speeds, as well as consistent work holding, are going to make all the difference.