User Tag List

Thread: Flat mount rear brake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flat mount rear brake

I wanted to use a flat mount rear brake on this bike I was building this summer. Ordered a braze-on but then I checked it for fit, discovered it would just about wipe out the left chainstay. My solution was to braze in a couple lengths of 3/8" chrome moly tubing. This leaves most of the chainstay intact and looks a lot cleaner IMHO.

P1014189.jpgP1014195.jpgflat_mount_rear (2).jpg

jn

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flat mount rear brake

Nice work Jon! I think you should add a washer to the top side to give the caliper a little more surface to rest on and probably the same detail at the bottom to support the bolt head. Also for people trying to follow along at home the spec is to have a oval slot that's 7mm and if your 3/8" tubing is .035 wall that gives you an inside dimension od .305" or 7.75mm. Which works out nicely! I'm tempted to make some fancy washers with the oval slot.
    Hahn Rossman
    rossmancycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flat mount rear brake

Quote Originally Posted by hahn_rossman View Post
    Nice work Jon! I think you should add a washer to the top side to give the caliper a little more surface to rest on and probably the same detail at the bottom to support the bolt head. Also for people trying to follow along at home the spec is to have a oval slot that's 7mm and if your 3/8" tubing is .035 wall that gives you an inside dimension od .305" or 7.75mm. Which works out nicely! I'm tempted to make some fancy washers with the oval slot.
    Hahn Rossman
    rossmancycles.com
    Hey! Good idea. I already painted the frame but I'll get a couple 6 mm washers down at the ace.