Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeropress safety

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aeropress safety

I know I love Aeropress coffee already, I already know I need one. I know BPA-free plastics, Lexan, etc. are safe on paper and seem in practice to be so as well. Drink out of 'em all the time (though rarely if ever hot liquid, mostly as a matter of course vs. fear).

But wouldja let your pregnant wife drink regularly from such objects that have boiling water poured into them on a routine basis? Maybe that's a good safety/gutcheck bellwether.

Anyway, I am probably going to buy one before my next camping trip regardless, but for day to day usage, it's hard to beat Aeropress coffee for just one cup, and our French press frequently seems about 1 cup/person short each morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aeropress safety

If you are worried than why not switch to a Bialata Moka Pot? I grind slightly courser than espresso and it makes a d@mn fine cuppa.
    You are already boiling water....

coffee2.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 08-29-2019 at 07:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bigger French press? I mean, if you are two and one of you is drinking for two then you are three which is why things are coming up short.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, hot liquids, but ~60 second incubation time, which is about how long I let my Aeropress steep, doesn't allow much time for anything to leach anywhere. The one study I could find quickly used a 10-day incubation time. And to quote the abstract:
    This study showed that the dietary exposure to BPA from actual uses of PC milk bottles is unlikely to pose a health risk in infants.
    I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's pretty hard to go wrong with a pour over. And you can do a stainless steel dripper, or ceramic, or titanium.... I find them much easier for camping than an Aeropress.
    Dan in Oregon

---------------

The wheel is round. The hill lasts as long as it lasts. That's a fact. Everything else is pure theory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscott View Post
    Yes, hot liquids, but ~60 second incubation time, which is about how long I let my Aeropress steep, doesn't allow much time for anything to leach anywhere. The one study I could find quickly used a 10-day incubation time. And to quote the abstract:

I don't think there's anything to worry about here.
    That study used previous formulations of PC where bisphenol A was the major monomer*. Nobody uses these forms of PC for food contact any more, especially not for anything used at elevated temperature. The new forms of PC are mostly not even plastics in the technical sense, they are thermoset resins.

* Polycarbonates are a class of polymers named for the fact that they have carbonate groups in the backbone. They can be formed many ways but the original one (Lexan) was made by linking bisphenol A molecules together with phosgene (yes, the stuff that was used as poison gas in WW1). Modern food contact PCs use an entirely different synthesis route which creates a high degree of crosslinking, giving much better properties. More info here: Polycarbonates

The monomer at the bottom of the page is diallyl 1,2-ethanediyl biscarbonate, not related at all to bisphenol A (bis- is used instead of di- when the thing there are two of is more complex, to avoid confusion).
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    That study used previous formulations of PC where bisphenol A was the major monomer*. Nobody uses these forms of PC for food contact any more, especially not for anything used at elevated temperature. The new forms of PC are mostly not even plastics in the technical sense, they are thermoset resins.
    I started going down that road because I have one of the original PC aeropresses, circa 2006. I've probably used it on average once/day since then. They're made of polypropylene now. According to the Evolution of Aeroporess Materials page, they tested the PC version and found that no BPA leached into brewed coffee, but they don't give details on the test protocol.

Anyway, thanks for the details, Mark. Seems like no matter the subject, there's an expert here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I know I love Aeropress coffee already, I already know I need one. I know BPA-free plastics, Lexan, etc. are safe on paper and seem in practice to be so as well. Drink out of 'em all the time (though rarely if ever hot liquid, mostly as a matter of course vs. fear).

But wouldja let your pregnant wife drink regularly from such objects that have boiling water poured into them on a routine basis? Maybe that's a good safety/gutcheck bellwether.

Anyway, I am probably going to buy one before my next camping trip regardless, but for day to day usage, it's hard to beat Aeropress coffee for just one cup, and our French press frequently seems about 1 cup/person short each morning.
    When you say camping trip, are you car camping or are you backpacking or bicycle camping?

I bicycle camp, I use to carry an Aeropress with me, but the darn thing took up too much space in my pannier and weighed more than I liked, so I decided to go with a ultralight pour over system made by GSI called Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip, it weighs next to nothing and takes up very small amount of room in my pannier. Pour over coffee is very smooth tasting. I tried to use Starbucks little instant coffee packs because they take up virtually no space and weigh next to nothing, but that coffee was nasty! and as a positive the GSI product is cheap, only $6.

Even if you never tried a pour over, it is a bit time consuming vs other methods, but you could buy the low cost GSI and experiment with it at home to see if you like it or not, you're only out $6 plus tax and shipping unless you have an REI in town.

The GSI recommends a course grind, and you can find videos on line how to pour the hot water over the coffee.

This guy I think does it wrong to some degree, he should have poured the water over the coffee very slowly just enough to get the grounds to bloom, wait 30 seconds, then slowly pour the water evenly over top of the grounds using a circular pattern till the water is used up or the cup is full. I also found that the plastic legs that are clipped onto the cup will slide around on a porcelain cup, it won't do that on plastic or my aluminium cup I use for camping.

Anyway just a different thought for you to consider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    When you say camping trip, are you car camping or are you backpacking or bicycle camping?

I bicycle camp, I use to carry an Aeropress with me, but the darn thing took up too much space in my pannier and weighed more than I liked, so I decided to go with a ultralight pour over system made by GSI called Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip, it weighs next to nothing and takes up very small amount of room in my pannier. Pour over coffee is very smooth tasting. I tried to use Starbucks little instant coffee packs because they take up virtually no space and weigh next to nothing, but that coffee was nasty! and as a positive the GSI product is cheap, only $6.

Even if you never tried a pour over, it is a bit time consuming vs other methods, but you could buy the low cost GSI and experiment with it at home to see if you like it or not, you're only out $6 plus tax and shipping unless you have an REI in town.

The GSI recommends a course grind, and you can find videos on line how to pour the hot water over the coffee.

This guy I think does it wrong to some degree, he should have poured the water over the coffee very slowly just enough to get the grounds to bloom, wait 30 seconds, then slowly pour the water evenly over top of the grounds using a circular pattern till the water is used up or the cup is full. I also found that the plastic legs that are clipped onto the cup will slide around on a porcelain cup, it won't do that on plastic or my aluminium cup I use for camping.

Anyway just a different thought for you to consider.
    Ultralight and cheap - untying the Gordian knot!

I got an aeropress for Christmas, though, and I just love the coffee it makes, whereas I've never been as impressed as I should with a pour-over even from a fancy coffee shop. Coffee and a book (and frequently a hammock) are luxuries I'm willing to take on a camping trip, no matter the weight or size. I haven't tried a truly minimal bike camping trip, though, so I suppose I'd have to reconsider if I got in a jam. Currently, however, my next "tour" is liable to be a family S24O with the whole fam dam in baby trailers, so I'd have 100lb carrying capacity, anyway, haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100 pounds? geez, I bet you're in massive shape! I run between 20 to 30 pounds but I'm only carrying for myself not a family! Your next tour sounds like it will be fun, except for the weight! LOL!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: Aeropress safety

Chemex glass hourglass-shaped coffeemaker is easy, safe, and consistently makes a delicious cup of coffee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The plastic in Aeropress will not leach out even with prolong exposure to hot water, this is straight from Aeropress: "AeroPress are free of BPA and phthalates, are made in the USA, and are FDA and EU approved for use in contact with food". This food grade plastic material they have been using since 2009, at first with copolyester than in 2014 they switched to polypropylene.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would let any pregnant family member or wife drink out of an aeropress. Cheap and easy to use, packs small, you can pre-grind coffee and put it in a zip lock then put it in the aero press, open, pour over, and enjoy.

I love my aeropress, especially with the metal filter instead of the paper ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post

My god, really? Don't you know that many years ago they came out with completely safe plastics that can take boiling water without any problems, heck they even take microwaving without any problems. All of the AeroPress parts except the silicone seal and the paper filters are currently and have been made of polypropylene since July of 2014. All materials used in the AeroPress are free of BPA and phthalates, are made in the USA, and are FDA and EU approved for use in contact with food.
    Plastics #5 Polypropylene (PP) is considered to be the safest of all plastics, this is a robust plastic that is heat resistant. Because of its high heat tolerance, Polypropylene is unlikely to leach even when exposed to warm or hot water. This plastic is approved for use with food and beverage storage. Polypropylene, which is derived from petroleum, is considered by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to be a safer choice than some other types of plastics, it's not known to cause cancer in humans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your helpful insights

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my Aeropress, and have been giving them as opening-night gifts to colleagues and associates (show business, remember when that was thing?). Recently in Australia I found an Aeropress-style brewer that was tempered glass. For a home user, if you're careful with it, it would be a great alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Because of its high heat tolerance, Polypropylene is unlikely to leach even when exposed to warm or hot water. This plastic is approved for use with food and beverage storage. .
    The blurb from which this is excised is a quote from a mummy blogger in the UK and she's quite wrong on a couple of points.

Leaching has nothing to do with the heat tolerance of the polymer itself, it has to do with the mobility of the leachants. PP generally contains additives such as antioxidants eg BHA or BHT, both of which can leach. https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/...476-069X-13-41 https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0438941730763X.

I am sure Aeropress have done the testing and their product is safe but to claim PP doesn't leach does no-one any good.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leachates not leachants.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    The blurb from which this is excised is a quote from a mummy blogger in the UK and she's quite wrong on a couple of points.

Leaching has nothing to do with the heat tolerance of the polymer itself, it has to do with the mobility of the leachants. PP generally contains additives such as antioxidants eg BHA or BHT, both of which can leach. https://ehjournal.biomedcentral.com/...476-069X-13-41 https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...0438941730763X.

I am sure Aeropress have done the testing and their product is safe but to claim PP doesn't leach does no-one any good.
    It's not AeroPress testing, it's federal testing, and you're confusing the polypropylene material with PVC, Polypropylene doesn't even start to leach till it reaches 266 degrees, that's 54 degrees hotter than boiling! Being paranoid does no one any good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is easily disproven.

The migration of antioxidants from polypropylene follows standard Arrhenius kinetics, as shown by this paper by Jonas Alin. He derived his results at 80 oC, moreover the activation energies he gives in the discussion after table 4 would give Q10 values of 2-4, so migration at room temperature would be slower but still present. Note that the solubility is highest in non-polar solvents, a good analogue for the oils in coffee.
    Mark Kelly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast