User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What should a show bike be?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post

If you have a "judged" category fine offer a playbook I think there will be folks who aspire to be the kings and queens of this aspect and will have followers.

ruff ruff atmo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only buy frames from winners ;)
    Sharp as a lemon, with the zest of a knife

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this crap is wearing me down and I don't like it.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Kirk View Post
    I like to think that any of the bikes at the show could be wheeled out the door and taken for a long hard ride and used in their element.
    Dave
    That just about sums it up.

Bling is just fine ..... I love Bling, but it should also enhance functionality.

------------
    How about glimpses into the future ? What if Campy shows up with a
    12 speed prototype? Shimano introduces a crank that also catches fish?

:D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DW
    making you feel all...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm really glad we can all find humor in it.

me? not so much.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me? not so much.

DW
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

me? not so much.

DW
    don't get all me me me personal about this and shit atmo.
    we appreciate nahbs and the effort behind it. your decisions
    are not always the best ones. we view the awards thing as
    a bad one, or at least one deserving of discussion - which is
    what we are doing after carl started the thread. i have been
    against these since day one, and have put my money where
    my mouth is by never allowing my bicycles to be judged once
    nahbs left houston. the others can make their choices atmo.
    the show isn't perfect. some of us who care about it and have
    accepted it into our daily routine are allowed to have strong
    opinions, and we are voicing them here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im out.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Awards

im out.

DW
    Don,
    Why are you unwilling to HEAR other people's opinion? OK you want the awards. Fine it is your show and the awards will stay. I actually have less issue with the awards and a bigger issue with the trophy's. They are stupid, big, ugly and a waste on MY money. I have one sitting in my warehouse that will continue to collect dust until i finally feel it is in the way and get rid of it. I WANT TO MAKE THE AWARD FOR THE NEXT BEST OFF ROAD!!!!!!!!!!

I have said it before and will say it again. The trophy's are stupid. Even a plaque is better.

I guess you want the feel of the voting, awards and setting things on a higher level (if the awards do that sort of thing?).

I will not deny i liked winning the award. This year i will need to make a decision about how i feel about the process. I was under the impression there would be a panel of judges but i am now thinking that is a non reality. That would be my vote.

RELAX, have a Coke and a smile. It is all just criticism and it is also coming from PAYING customers so you really should accept it.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Last edited by EnginCycles; 02-01-2009 at 02:13 PM. Reason: my typical spelling error
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    Don,
    Even a plague is better.
    ummm... drew?

i had the plague once, bubonic - it sucked

give me atrophy any day
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    ummm... drew?

give me atrophy any day
    yea typed it faster and lacked spell check (well i spelled the word right just wrong letter). I fixed it. Thanks, what a response buster.

Later,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    ummm... drew?

give me atrophy any day

OH GOD - CAN'T BREATHE!

that is so freaking hilarious, i can't stand it.

- taz

now back to your regularly scheduled programming

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

double entry. sorry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    Don,
    Why are you unwilling to HEAR other people's opinion? OK you want the awards. Fine it is your show and the awards will stay. I actually have less issue with the awards and a bigger issue with the trophy's. They are stupid, big, ugly and a waste on MY money. I have one sitting in my warehouse that will continue to collect dust until i finally feel it is in the way and get rid of it. I WANT TO MAKE THE AWARD FOR THE NEXT BEST OFF ROAD!!!!!!!!!!

I have said it before and will say it again. The trophy's are stupid. Even a plaque is better.

I guess you want the feel of the voting, awards and setting things on a higher level (if the awards do that sort of thing?).

I will not deny i liked winning the award. This year i will need to make a decision about how i feel about the process. I was under the impression there would be a panel of judges but i am now thinking that is a non reality. That would be my vote.

RELAX, have a Coke and a smile. It is all just criticism and it is also coming from PAYING customers so you really should accept it.

Cheers,
    Drew

Drew,

I realize I (NAHBS) cant be everything to everybody. I also realize that my sensitivity to it all is a bit extreme this close to the show. we are a month out and the list of crap I have to do grows faster than I can do it.

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Don

Feeling overwhelmed ? :boy_hug:

I offered to help, once I got out there. Arriving Wed night with Kelly.
    I'll be there the whole show .....

No-one got back to me. My offer is still there.
    You name it ... I'll do it !! :adore:

:D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dear DW: a question about awards

Don, It is obvious through conversations that we have had off-line and through everything that you have said online that the awards are important to you. And that you think that the awards are important for NAHBS.

I was thinking about it yesterday and for the life of me, I can't figure out why you feel this way. From the outsiders perspective:

- There is no financial benefit to NAHBS (I'm thinking that they actually cost you money).
    - It doesn't bring more attention to your own personal bike brands.
    -The ceremony at the end doesn't draw all that big of a crowd and isn't a big media focus.
    - Many of the builders who (should) matter, think that the awards have no place in a show like NAHBS and have been expressing this more and more clearly and frequently.

So my question is why is it so important to you to have awards. Why do you feel so strongly about keeping them around?

To be clear, this is not meant as an attack, or as a way of making one person right and another wrong, so I hope you don't take it that way. But with all the talk about awards lately, I think we could all benefit from understanding your perspective on the matter a little better.

-Sacha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sacha white View Post
    Don, It is obvious through conversations that we have had off-line and through everything that you have said online that the awards are important to you. And that you think that the awards are important for NAHBS.

I was thinking about it yesterday and for the life of me, I can't figure out why you feel this way. From the outsiders perspective:

- There is no financial benefit to NAHBS (I'm thinking that they actually cost you money).
    -The ceremony at the end doesn't draw all that big of a crowd and isn't a big media focus.
    - Many of the builders who (should) matter, think that the awards have no place in a show like NAHBS and have been expressing this more and more clearly and frequently.

So my question is why is it so important to you to have awards. Why do you feel so strongly about keeping them around?

To be clear, this is not meant as an attack, or as a way of making one person right and another wrong, so I hope you don't take it that way. But with al the talk about awards lately, I think we could all benefit from understanding your perspective on the matter a little better.

-Sacha
    My guess is it's a case of going to Abilene.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sacha white View Post

-The ceremony at the end doesn't draw all that big of a crowd and isn't a big media focus..

To be clear, this is not meant as an attack, or as a way of making one person right and another wrong, so I hope you don't take it that way. But with all the talk about awards lately, I think we could all benefit from understanding your perspective on the matter a little better.

-Sacha

Almost every industry that has a show or showcase has some sort of awards within. Whether it be the Westminster dog show, the music industry, Screen Actors Guild, etc all have some sort of awards for recognizing the achievements of its members. I feel in the handmade industry, its also important to have recognition for those who have proven themselves to be the upper echelon to their peers and the public.

It costs me money to have awards. However, I feel that its worth every penny. To see builders get some recognition, with more of it coming from some main media outlets. I know quite a few builders who have benefited from this exposure.

I have sacrificed much of my time each year just to make sure NAHBS happens. Its obvious my integrity lies within our industry and not just for my own brand.

The last few years, we have had photographers lining up 20-30 minutes ahead of the awards for a prime location to shoot the winners. In PDX, there were people that were so crowded around the stage area that it took a while for some of the winners to actually make it to the stage. Velonews did a report on the winners in Portland, as well as other mags/rags.

All of the builders matter. The problem is one that cant be easily solved and have everyone feel that its fair, but unfortunately "fair" is something that can never be agreed upon unanimously.

If I cut out the awards all together, we have no climax to the show on Sunday.

Having the awards on Sunday is the perfect close to the weekend of hanging out with your brethren. It makes the weekend seem "complete". As stated above, it's a climax to the entire previous year. Some folks go home and post pics of the winners on flickr, photobucket or whatever other hosting site, websites, blogs, etc. It provides the opportunity to have extra pics and/or notoriety, which is essentially added "free" publicity. No one can complain about extra publicity. You cannot put a price on that kind of exposure.

If you have any additional questions, please email me directly.

Mods, please lock this thread.

DW

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast