User Tag List

Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: We have officially become inured to mass shootings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default We have officially become inured to mass shootings.

That there is not a discussion about the recent mass shootings on this list, as it is populated by articulate folks who are concerned with such things, tells me that as a society we have become inured. I guess that doing nothing after the massacre of children in Sandy Hook should have made that clear. And this isn't my invitation for such discussion, I know what I'd do if I were running things, but merely that the lack of it suggests something terrible about our national psyche and our evolving, new normal.

Hopefully I'll be proven wrong by a tidal wave of the electorate but aside from eyewash, hand wringing and maybe the lone, impotent regulation, I don't think so.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: We have officially become inured to mass shootings.

Thanks for this John. I'm taking quite a few more deep breaths today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If history is a guide... It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Anomie: Definition, Theory & Examples - Video & Lesson Transcript | Study.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I wrote on my Facebook page.

Did you ever wonder if shit was so bad for these shooters that maybe just maybe for once they'd point the weapon at themselves rather than others. Now that would take some balls.
    It's gonna take a monumental Howard Beale moment from all of us with a sense of decency to turn this around. Being incensed is only the start.
    That's where I'm at with this. So many since (and before) Columbine. I'm near desensitized. I've lost my ability to care about the catalyst, or what's inside the shooter's head. After all these executions I'd rather read about these cats aiming at themselves, if I have to read anything at all.
    I've written a lot more. But you get the gist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have our very own home-grown radicalized terrorists...I don’t see them as any different than the suicide bombers who plague Afghanistan, making the news with their devastating death counts.

We’re fucked for the next couple decades at least.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the Republicans in Nebraska are doubling down on it.

Nebraska GOP Tells State Senator To Leave Party After He Condemns White Supremacy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Panic in Times Square as motorcycle backfire sends crowds running | Daily Mail Online

Seems like people more nervous than anything.

Maybe we get lucky here and the corruption at the NRA is its undoing and serious gun control debate can begin.

NRA discussed purchasing luxury mansion for its chief executive to use, documents show

The origins of the idea to buy the mansion, its proposed purpose and the reason the deal never went through are being fiercely disputed by the NRA and its longtime ad firm, Ackerman McQueen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--why are you suprised...
    a farm boy having enjoyable college life and then graduation and commissioned an officer..
    ranger training, paddies of rice to take life under the mask of saving my country and our democarcy..
    years fucked up mentally following -- so easy to justify aggresion and taking life..

so why are we suprised when lack of love and respect from home, right within one's self, a cause that assists mankind and others is not there..
    our elected leaders are immune to looking at their hands and seeing blood..

this is just the beginning and we wonder why...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why are we as a society immune to these horrific events? Repetition, along with a diminished trust in near everything...

About the same number of people were murdered in Chicago last weekend as Dayton. It would have been higher but the 5 year old boy that got shot in the leg will live. Where is the outrage & calls for action ??

The repetition, the selective outrage, the placement of a ‘blame’, the empty words, the even more empty calls for ‘action’...........but mostly the fact that no one will care in two weeks and it will be all forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    Why are we as a society immune to these horrific events? Repetition, along with a diminished trust in near everything...

About the same number of people were murdered in Chicago last weekend as Dayton. It would have been higher but the 5 year old boy that got shot in the leg will live. Where is the outrage & calls for action ??

The repetition, the selective outrage, the placement of a ‘blame’, the empty words, the even more empty calls for ‘action’...........but mostly the fact that no one will care in two weeks and it will be all forgotten.
    Perhaps the rage fatigue at the futility of expecting change while the gun manufacturers and the NRA have the GOP on retainer? This is the only nation on earth where there is nearly unlimited access to firearms, and surprise(!), they are used to kill people every day.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damned if you do, damned if you don't, eh?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why I am increasingly reluctant participate in these on-line discussions. If there was ever a case where the "what about X?" argument doesn't apply it's this one. A terrorist shooting randomly into a crowd. A gang member who can't aim killing an innocent. It's the same thing: It is gun violence and we need to keep guns out of the hands of people who will use them to murder. (Or even to kill themselves.)

Ranting about it on the Internet is useless. Have any of you ever convinced someone to change their mind this way?

Call your elected officials and, if they don't care to deal with this horror show of indifference, work to replace your elected officials with one who will. Give your time, give your money, give passion.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DavidS votes so should we all d@mnit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's anyone gonna say that hasn't already been said again and again and again?

DavidS is right. If you want to see change, typing about it on a bike forum is a waste of time - go do something in the real world.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not much to say either except to point out that if these terrorists (which is what they are) weren’t white men there would be much louder calls for action on guns. Talk about privilege.......
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn’t agree with Davids point more. It’s the same exact thing.

I posted to answer the OP, that our society will soon ignore & dismiss these mass shootings as easily as we now dismiss & ignore weekends in Chicago. It’s the same mechanism at play. Don’t confuse my point as ‘what about x’.

It’s the same mechanism that now allows us to walk past/over/around homeless people without a second thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday November 3, 2020 we can do something about this. Be there or accept the status quo.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast