Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bikes and how they are ridden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bikes and how they are ridden

dude... i love bird, but to think he could play today's game athletically is just ridiculous. the game is just different.

for what it's worth, i like the old school better.

cheers,

shaner

p.s. - flame suit on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by atmo
    That website's funny e-richie.

Jordan obviously averaged more free throws because the refs liked him, not because he attacked the basket more than Bird. And if we ignore free throw, Jordan only scored 20% more points per game. Ignore the MVPs and All Defense team awards too... just hype.

That site reminds me of the Clinton campaign... "if you only consider primaries and not caucuses and you count only votes for Clinton in MI, she won the popular vote."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mschol17
    Quote Originally Posted by atmo
    That website's funny e-richie.

Jordan obviously averaged more free throws because the refs liked him, not because he attacked the basket more than Bird. And if we ignore free throw, Jordan only scored 20% more points per game. Ignore the MVPs and All Defense team awards too... just hype.

That site reminds me of the Clinton campaign... "if you only consider primaries and not caucuses and you count only votes for Clinton in MI, she won the popular vote."

larry bird is god atmo.
    Barzini is dead, so is Phillip Tattaglia, Moe Green, Stracci, Cunio. Today
    I settled all family business so don't tell me you're innocent atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

brother
    bird played with his head man. he couldnt get his feet off the floor. but he could put the dagger into yr back.

look at kobe- 100 times the athletic ability. throwing up shit, had about 6 steals from his dribble, missing stupid shots, he gave up 1/2 way through the 1st half..

athleticism is only a part.
    bird would eat these guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP
    \

athleticism is only a part.
    bird would eat these guys.

Puccipedia 3.18 atmo -
    Barzini is dead, so is Phillip Tattaglia, Moe Green, Stracci, Cunio. Today
    I settled all family business so don't tell me you're innocent atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two words: Ma - gic . I think the greatest. He made his teammates great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just thinking about my riding style and what makes me an ok cyclist.
    For the most part I can't do the following:climb,sprint,pull,tricks or really anything cool.
    There is one thing that I can do well and that is a ressonable sense of keeping a steady tempo. This takes years of riding and notice it is very hard for beginners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swoop View Post
    i think you can tell a guy how to turn a bike online but it wont change anything except some superficial stuff and he'll feel like he's getting it because it written.
    i think you can show a guy and i think for the volumes written about turning and line taking.. just ask a local that is an accomplished rider to do cornering drills with you for twenty minutes one day and... life will change.

follow a good descender and you'll learn about taking a line. or go watch a nrc crit and sit in the corner... and watch everything they do.

its the only way.

seriously.
    identify learning style... kinesthetic, visual and auditory

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(Images lifted from http://gwadzilla.blogspot.com/ Thanks boss :)
    ...how they are ridden:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only read the first of the 5 pages of this thread, so please excuse me if I'm regurgitating something someone posted later.

Over the last 4 years I reintroduced myself to riding again after a long hiatus (and started collecting like an insatiable fetishist). Some of the things that are/were different this time around have been amazingly helpful and others not. Helpful:

Having a plethora of different sized, different angled and different purpose bikes has taught me plenty about bike fit and feel and also about what is meant by the term "handling".

I've learned that shorter toptubes and shorter crankarms help me to comfortably speed up my ride times (taller angles do it too but the skittish handling, while fun, isn't for me daily).

Weight is only the deciding factor when I carry my ride up the stairs to home. On the road, clean/perfectly adjusted wheel bearings make all the difference.

The Serotta forum, Bike Forums and now, this forum have been instrumental in keeping me thinking about my body, the bike and the relative system dynamic that creates. (You're all wrong about zero set back posts though.):)

Not so helpful:

Forums are typically great fun but there are some common assumptions that are rehashed that take some of the joy out of the learning. In example, I've learned that I enjoy riding different bar styles (they affect the handling of the bike far more than I'd previously realised) and I do like narrow flatbar road bikes. There are no risers or spacers on my bars and the builds typically have the front end of the bike some inches below the seatline but still, when I show my bikes, forumites get testy with what they can't understand. I actually had a guy call me a 'poseur' for one of my builds, the prick!

Another distraction: This biking thing isn't about presenting the highest of the high end at all times. I've found that most of the forum bigun's only get excited about bikes that are outfitted head to toe in remarkable kit (or full vintage Campy SR. Old Skool remarkable kit.). A set of Wolber Profil's mounted to 2005 Centaur hubs are hot-shit wheels in my book and I'm not sure why they aren't seen that way by the rest of the crowd. I mean, really, they're hot-shit wheels!

Short cranks have the same effect: Why do most people like longer cranks (like out to 180mm)? My knees love my 165's much better than my 172.5's and I feel as though I have more spin up 'kick' riding them as well. Are most people powerhouse mashers who can turn a 180 to speed off a stop like a moose?

Danny

Figures that I posted this right below the photo of the fixienista's. I really should just slog through the entirety of the thread before posting, shouldn't I?
    Last edited by Gone 'n POP; 07-01-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Comment on the irony my posts placement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think you can tell a guy how to turn a bike online but it wont change anything except some superficial stuff and he'll feel like he's getting it because it written.
    i think you can show a guy and i think for the volumes written about turning and line taking.. just ask a local that is an accomplished rider to do cornering drills with you for twenty minutes one day and... life will change.

follow a good descender and you'll learn about taking a line. or go watch a nrc crit and sit in the corner... and watch everything they do.

its the only way.

seriously.
    I learned about cornering and picking lines by driving a gokart at the 'Malibu Gran Prix' in Cherry Hill NJ once a week for 2years. I was determined to get up on the top of that board. I'm sure there's motorcycle computer game that can be utilized (at least via short clip or screen shots) to teach this on the forum.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW, it seems that when I post about things that aren't in direct social agreement with the linear direction the thread has taken, everyone just goes silent. So here you go guy's, the photo of the bike I built for my friend :

It gets ridden typically 4 days a week, minimum 14 miles each day. Not a lot but it's a riders bike, not a racers bike and is extraordinarily well loved.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

danny, we're all wif you.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

danny, we're all wif you.
    Swoop, you really are an elitist, just like your tag says.

Instead making obtuse inferences laced with British royal caste based 'class' characterizations, why not just point out why you think 180's are really better than 165's or possibly what you think is different about picking a line via bicycle, as compared to a motorcycle or even a friggin go cart?

Physics say they're all the same.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now you're being silly. i like folks to use the cranks they feel best using.. and that's the extent to which i notice or think about it (i don't notice or think about). i get ruffled over worn out shorts with cracks glistening through and guys on fast group rides with earphones in.

the question is why does it matter so much to you?

as for line with bicycle... i think that picking a line is only one metric. last i looked go carts don't behave like a bicycle... unless you shift your weight around in your cart.
    hey, on your moto, does the mass all go on your torso or is it down low where the engine is? seems a little different than a bicycle. hey, wow, another layer of wrong at ya... a vehicle with suspension is the same as a rigid one? those are cool physics you're sportin'.

if suggesting to people to go out with really skilled riders and watch them, or look at pros and where they put their bodies in crit turns seems obtuse to you... i think this isn't going to go well. frankly, you're being obtuse... your'e doing a good job of manifesting all the things you're trying to critique.

if writing, 'danny we're with (wif) you' somehow seems 'elitist'... all i can say is .. have at it.
    as for my tag line.... its self mockery.
    you should try it.
    shrink, terrorist, poet, president of concerned cyclists for the abolishment of bovine source bicycle parts and head of the disaffected commie dishwashers union.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gone 'n POP View Post
    BTW, it seems that when I post about things that aren't in direct social agreement with the linear direction the thread has taken, everyone just goes silent. So here you go guy's, the photo of the bike I built for my friend :

It gets ridden typically 4 days a week, minimum 14 miles each day. Not a lot but it's a riders bike, not a racers bike and is extraordinarily well loved.

Danny
    Looks like a bike that gets used which is a good thing :) Thanks for the pics. Always appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the best bike are the ones that use all the time .. like t.t. said imho
    cheers
    butch
    I love bike racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as for line with bicycle... i think that picking a line is only one metric. last i looked go carts don't behave like a bicycle... unless you shift your weight around in your cart.

you should try it.
    FWIW you do actively shift your weight around in a cart. Just saying.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure... but not to the extent that you do on a bike. and not forward or backwards or down?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sure... but not to the extent that you do on a bike. and not forward or backwards or down?
    "You are correct sir!" (said in my mind like Ed McMann said that to the great Carson). You passively move fore/aft because you can't help it when the thing will go and stop the way a race cart will. But you do actively lean to get the cart to stick or break loose and rotate. Not the same as on a bike but not totally different either.

Dave
    D. Kirk
    Kirk Frameworks Co.
    www.kirkframeworks.com