User Tag List

Thread: Turkish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Turkish

So, I'm a sucker for handmade stuff, and Soy-Turkiye sucked me in with a silver-lined copper crepe pan. Amaze-balls. Then, a YouTube video about the 2013 Turkish coffee brewer (there is such a thing) sucked me into this:

STC Pro

and this:

SUFI cup

Paired with this:

Apollo Grinder

and this:

Metric Coffee fruit bomb coffee

I finally get why people would like Turkish. This is nothing like the stale tar from most restaurants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Turkish

Oops, poor keyboard skills on my part -- I meant to say the video was about the technique used by the 2013 World Champion at brewing Turkish coffee.

And from the dude himself:

His point about not boiling (rather than bringing to boil 3 times like most people show) is spot-on, and I don't even let it get to where it's shown in the first video. This is the first coffee I've had where I don't reach for cream to mellow it. BTW, that brewer and that cup are the ones listed in the original post. None better, IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll never forget the first time I had this style of coffee at a restaurant in Atlanta. Perhaps a mistake to have one after dinner, but I awoke at 3 am with the sweats and feeling like my heart was going to explode out of my chest.... WAY too much caffeine?

I'll stick to my 350ml of boring light roasted Ethiopian beans pour overs at 1:16 ratio thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was introduced to Turkish coffee by my dad who was stationed in French Morocco and picked up a fondness for that style preparation there.
    When I moved the Cambridge area I used to drink it regularly at the Cafe Algiers in Brattle Hall in Harvard Square which was there for 45 years, but now sadly gone.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks E. Fond memories of that when I was living in the Holy Land. I favor coffee beans ground with a few cardamon seeds...I think it's pronounced حب الهال

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    I'll never forget the first time I had this style of coffee at a restaurant in Atlanta. Perhaps a mistake to have one after dinner, but I awoke at 3 am with the sweats and feeling like my heart was going to explode out of my chest.... WAY too much caffeine?

I'll stick to my 350ml of boring light roasted Ethiopian beans pour overs at 1:16 ratio thank you.
    The caffeine level is highly dependent on technique. I'm only using 7g of beans in a serving, grinding them coarser than typical Turkish, never getting to the boiling point, and decanting the result rather than dumping it all in the cup to continue brewing. Because it never gets hot for a long time, it doesn't extract as much as one would expect. Now, if I make it the way most places do -- boiling it 3 times and leaving a lot of super-fine grinds in, it would be a caffeine assault, for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Thanks E. Fond memories of that when I was living in the Holy Land. I favor coffee beans ground with a few cardamon seeds...I think it's pronounced حب الهال
    @Too Tall There's a certain coffee roaster in Lambertville, NJ (who produces bar NONE the best coffee I've ever had), that does Turkish coffee tastings by appointment. Next time you're around I'm your huckleberry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    So, I'm a sucker for handmade stuff, and Soy-Turkiye sucked me in with a silver-lined copper crepe pan. Amaze-balls. Then, a YouTube video about the 2013 Turkish coffee brewer (there is such a thing) sucked me into this:

STC Pro

and this:

SUFI cup

Paired with this:

Apollo Grinder

and this:

Metric Coffee fruit bomb coffee

I finally get why people would like Turkish. This is nothing like the stale tar from most restaurants.
    You didn't have to spend anywhere near that amount, a very well made Turkish pot will run you about $39, not to far off of what you paid for yours.

The cup should have been one that is double layered for thermo protection, those are about 1/2 the price you paid for yours.

The grinder, while the one you got is high end is it necessary to pay that much? I don't think so, the one I have is the Hario Skerton Coffee Mill and it does a powder grind on up to course as well, and this particular grinder was highly praised not only for it's ability to grind top notch, but it had ceramic conical grinders which for under $40 is a deal (unless you buy the upgrade kit for courser grinds better then you need to add $13 or so.

I understand your need for better stuff but for those reading this and wondering gee you spent a lot of money and therefore may not try making Turkish coffee due to the price, so what I showed would save a person right around $200 from what you paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I like (don't need) really cool versions of things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair enough. I like (don't need) really cool versions of things.
    Yah yah yah. How you makin' out on the Turkish Coffee technique? I'm struggling which is odd since it was so easy when I was living in a foreign land.

I think the grind has to be nearly powder.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-15-2020 at 03:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The caffeine level is highly dependent on technique.
    I am not at all sure that this is true. Caffeine is very, very soluble in hot water (667 g/l at 100oC), extraction level is thus largely dependent on time and particle size. With any Turkish grind you will approach 100% extraction of available caffeine in less than a minute.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yah yah yah. How you makin' out on the Turkish Coffee technique? I'm struggling which is odd since it was so easy when I was living in a foreign land.

I think the grind has to be nearly powder.
    Not nearly powder but actually powder, very similar to the texture of powdered sugar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Not nearly powder but actually powder, very similar to the texture of powdered sugar.
    Noted. I'll give this another shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Noted. I'll give this another shot.
    How did you do with the powder turkish coffee?