User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Peter Verdone Design

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Peter Verdone Design

Quote Originally Posted by megapope View Post
    maybe a bit presumptuous to call the bar a proven design given that, technically speaking, a fairly large percentage of the ones in existence have failed in use. i assume his argument is that it's the carbon tubing supplier's fault. may well prove true. i'll be interested to see if he goes back and reviews the tubing used in his other bars of the same design after he heals up

it's in poor taste to kick the man while he's down. i doubt that many other framebuilders would experience similar criticism after a mechanical failure of one of their own bikes. misconduct on forums is not grounds for the withholding of sympathy after a crash
    Agreed 100 percent.
    And...
    It’s also poor taste to kick a man while he’s up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Heal well, PV.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    I am probably one of the few people on this forum that can and does do the maths* and I think your comment is rather unfair.

The part that broke looks to be a commercially produced filament wound tube, he would be relying on the manufacturer's data to determine strength etc. Unfortunately brittle fracture in carbon composite structures is not that straightforward, it follows a probability function (described by the Weibull Modulus) which means that even well designed structures will have a finite (but hopefully small) probability of brittle failure.

Accordingly, there is not enough evidence here to state the PVD didn't "do the math", it could well be that he did, accepted a small chance of failure and promply discovered that the bell curve has tails.

*English speaking countries use "maths" as the abbreviation for mathematics, the USA being the exception.
    Unfortunately I don't actually care what you think of my comment if you don't like it move on rather than try and denigrate it with fictional one upmanship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe a bit presumptuous to call the bar a proven design given that, technically speaking, a fairly large percentage of the ones in existence have failed in use. i assume his argument is that it's the carbon tubing supplier's fault. may well prove true. i'll be interested to see if he goes back and reviews the tubing used in his other bars of the same design after he heals up

it's in poor taste to kick the man while he's down. i doubt that many other framebuilders would experience similar criticism after a mechanical failure of one of their own bikes. misconduct on forums is not grounds for the withholding of sympathy after a crash
    A large percentage? They just failed did they? What are the numbers? Plenty of people run carbon bars but I have no numbers to say how many have failed or not so it's moot.

Maybe he will get someone in who can figure out the cause of the failure but I can guarantee he won't find that answer in an online group.

You are quite correct however PVD is not part of the gentleman's agreement that seems to exist amongst the people who clique together online so he gets a bashing Everytime he opens his mouth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by the_ronin View Post
    You are quite correct however PVD is not part of the gentleman's agreement that seems to exist amongst the people who clique together online so he gets a bashing Everytime he opens his mouth.
    Imagine that.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A large percentage?
    a large percentage of pvd bullmoose carbon bars have failed, there being something like three in existence

empathy & courtesy towards those who you do not believe deserve it is a skill worth developing
    some may ask: why rock out now?
    the answer is simple - these are the times that rock mens' souls

twitter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a large percentage of pvd bullmoose carbon bars have failed, there being something like three in existence
    Yet YOU are the only person that seems to have tried to validate your own point by firstly pulling a figure out of thin air.

QUOTE=megapope;987067]empathy & courtesy towards those who you do not believe deserve it is a skill worth developing[/QUOTE]

So is talking when you should be listening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, this thread is getting weird. Let's all hope Peter has a speedy recovery and if he ever decides he wants to discuss the failure, I'm sure plenty of folks here would be interested.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Ok, this thread is getting weird. Let's all hope Peter has a speedy recovery and if he ever decides he wants to discuss the failure, I'm sure plenty of folks here would be interested.
    On that note of civility let's wish Peter well.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456