Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to Colorado

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Heading to Colorado

VSalon has come through with valuable tips for many other trips, so I'm turning to you all again. I'm heading to Colorado for a little over a week later this summer and could use some suggestions. Our plan is to stay in or around Boulder for half the trip since there seems to be plenty of things to do with a toddler. I'll be bringing or renting a road bike and plan to ride a handful of times throughout the trip. So the question is, where in the state should we spend the rest of the trip? Ideally, we'd find another area with a few days worth of activities and nice quiet roads that's within 4 hours or so of Boulder. We generally prefer to spend most of our time outdoors, hiking and whatnot, but will have my parents along for the trip and may need to fit in some less active sightseeing.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Heading to Colorado

I think the Gunnison - Crested Butte - Montrose area is beautiful. If there has been some rain, you will have great plant growth all around. Plenty of bike riding, including some excellent gravel. There is a road that is open seasonally and runs from rt 133 to Crested Butte that figured into one of the Tour of Colorado stages. There are also several roads up from rt. 135 (the main road up to Crested Butte from Gunnison) to the reservoir and around that area with loops back down. I'm betting you can find an AirBnB somewhere in or around Crested Butte. Day trip away is Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park for some trail hiking and canyon viewing. Are there boat trips down the Gunnison River through the canyon? I can't remember but someone else might know.

Speaking of someone else, Joe lives up near Rocky Mountain National Park - plenty of trails up there. He'll have recommendations. Estes Park area might be relaxing if you can find a nice AirBnB off the beaten path. Lots of hiking in the RMNP as per Joe's blog. I think it snows in August up there. :-)
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aspen/Snowmass area. Stunningly beautiful with virtually unlimited outdoor activities of all persuasions. The Viceroy Hotel in Snowmass is very nice and has affordable off season rates (versus $1000/night during ski season). Aspen has a world class art museum.

One caveat .... we've had record setting late season snow this year (some places just got 12" on Friday ... and it's snowing in the high country again today).

If you do opt for Aspen/Snowmass .... consider the hike to Conundrum hot springs. Well worth it.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aspen is beautiful, and I’d love to go back (was there briefly for a friend’s wedding), but I would also love to visit Steamboat Springs, home of Moots and Eriksen. I think Steamboat is around 3 - 4 hours from Boulder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steamboat is my favorite summer town in Colorado. The temps are warm, which can't be said for Aspen or Vail. Steamboat also has full family stuff like hiking, shops, restaurants, mountain coaster, rafting and tons of bike stuff. They do call themselves "Bike Town, USA".

I'm about 45 min from Boulder if you want to ride mtn bikes, hike or climb in the Boulder area. If you do ride in Boulder absolutely make the trip up through Ward to Brainard Lake, a great ride with super cool views.

You should take the fam to Estes Park for an afternoon as well, it has a more mtn feel than Boulder and is of course the gateway to RMNP. Taking a hike the Gem Lake is an easy little trip with great views. Or fight the masses and go to Bear Lake.

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    One caveat .... we've had record setting late season snow this year (some places just got 12" on Friday ... and it's snowing in the high country again today).
    It snowed at my house today, I can't even bring myself to ride... Climbing gym it is!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks folks! Keep the input coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go visit the brothers Mosaic in Boulder.
    And maybe Alchemy in Denver (they are on a MUP).

Denver Art Museum is worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Go visit the brothers Mosaic in Boulder.
    And maybe Alchemy in Denver (they are on a MUP).

Oh, yes. I meant to mention Mosaic. Quick shop visits to Moots, Eriksen and Mosaic would be very cool imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given the range of activities you're looking for and the folks involved, I'd definitely consider Durango.

There's a huge range of stuff to do in the area (Mesa Verde, hiking, scenic train rides, etc.)

Discover Durango | Official Tourism Site of Durango, Colorado

The only issue related to your requirements is that it's a 6 hr drive from Boulder. (But IMO worth the extra time.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are going to mention Durango,CO then you might as well make it epic and head on over to Moab, UT. I'm not sure mountain biking gets much better than that (although it has been 23 years since I have been there).

Slickrock Trail
    White Rim Trail

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post

And something for the little one...my nieces and nephews loved both when they were younger.

Denver Zoo

Denver Children's Museum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been a few years since I've been to Boulder, but I remember there being a few really nice, easy, accessible hikes just outside of town. I really enjoyed the Avery Brewery and I guess it has gotten nicer and better food recently. Pearl street was fun and checking out Vecchio's was pretty cool. Lots of little cafes, restaurants and retail.

Have to go to Denver each year for work and I have a laundry list of fantastic restaurants. I second the Zoo. We skipped a day of meeting and wandered around the zoo for the morning and had a blast.

Anything in the mountains is fantastic. You'll have a ton of stuff to do. Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, I want to go too.

And Jorn, where haven't you been in the world?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Damn, I want to go too.

Lots of places. But this here is a pretty small fishbowl. Enter a handful of your favorite keywords and we’d all rise to the surface. Common interests and obsessions.

Plus birdwatching is crazier than cycling as far as travel is concerned. A tiny ball of fluff from Siberia shows up in Saskatchewan and planes trains and automobiles are mobilized.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That I know. A few years ago I noticed red splotches on the ski trails at Notchview, then birds in the Bittersweet eating the berries. Back at the lodge I talked with the bird nerd who worked there, thinking I was seeing Snow Buntings. I mimicked the sound they made; he played a recording of bird song on his iPhone, and identified Bohemian Waxwings, one hundred and twenty-five or more. Many people came to see them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, I want to go too.

How are you with toddlers? Every set of hands helps...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a full-time Dad for two. Toddlers were easy. Come Middle School it gets hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a full-time Dad for two. Toddlers were easy. Come Middle School it gets hard.
    You're hired!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kids spent untold hours being towed around Central Park behind my Breezer. There is no training regimen that compares. When they weren't behind my bike they were on my back. I was way buff after seven year of that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast