Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "all-in-one" PC with fold-down screen, or similar? Talk to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "all-in-one" PC with fold-down screen, or similar? Talk to me

My desktop-replacement 18" laptop is well due for retirement, frankly cannot ask more from it (and from Acer, who kindly replaced the motherboard&HDD when it was 2yrs 11 1/2 months old!) after more than 10yrs has done its job and does not allow me to be as productive as I'd like.

Those all-in-one PC's look ok for my fairly basic needs, but it's to stay on the coffee table and I don't want it to obstruct the views of the telly, especially when friends are around and you don't want to leave a 23" monitor on the floor. Another laptop with big screen could be the easiest solution, but the price is at least 2x of a similar spec "all-in-one". The latter, may also be easier to expand, though nowhere near a proper desktop PC. I'm not up to spend a lot of cash, something like this is right for spec and price:
    HP 24-f23na Full-HD All-in-One with Optane Storage Acceleration - HP Store UK

Any idea that does not involve a DIY tilt-down bracket for the monitor reusing hub bearings and carbon fork blades?

Thanks!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: "all-in-one" PC with fold-down screen, or similar? Talk to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you really need a large screen since you have the telly? A television is just a large monitor with a computer inside
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the touch-screen is attractive but not essential for me.
    Also the 3.5k price tag is 3 times more than my budget fort this :-(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Do you really need a large screen since you have the telly? A television is just a large monitor with a computer inside
    I've a smart telly that does a lot of stuff, BUT it's still an Android thing with many limitations.
    File managers and apps in general cannot be compared to what you get for Windows, even my old Vista Premium is still far ahead: apps for the telly are optimized for use with a remote control, and I find them irritating to use for more than a few seconds.

For real, I won't really need a large screen on the PC, but a 17" laptop that is decently equipped is still more expensive than a similar "all-in-one" PC, the latter will have a larger screen with better view angles too. The reason I've been using the current laptop is because it's huge size has a full-size keyboard AND full-size numeric keypad plus all the other keys (and more) you'll find on a desktop. And it's backlit keyboard too. Haven't seen all those features in any laptop that is <£1500, and I'm not spending some extra-money just to solve those 1st world problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to second the idea of using your TV as a computer monitor. I regularly use either a hdmi cable or a chromecast dongle with my laptop depending on what I am doing and it works a treat, could you not get a cheap laptop, or mini pc and then use a wireless keyboard and mouse?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    I've a smart telly that does a lot of stuff, BUT it's still an Android thing with many limitations.
    File managers and apps in general cannot be compared to what you get for Windows, even my old Vista Premium is still far ahead: apps for the telly are optimized for use with a remote control, and I find them irritating to use for more than a few seconds.

As madships mentionned, my post was more about the possibility of using the tv as a large monitor. I'm personnally using a 14" laptop. The screen is big enough for browsing the web 95% of the tasks and I use the tv as a second screen when I need more screen estate or watch some multimedia content.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post

As madships mentionned, my post was more about the possibility of using the tv as a large monitor. I'm personnally using a 14" laptop. The screen is big enough for browsing the web 95% of the tasks and I use the tv as a second screen when I need more screen estate or watch some multimedia content.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For an everyday use computer, "ergonomically" this is a terrible idea.

Quote Originally Posted by madships View Post
    I'm going to second the idea of using your TV as a computer monitor....
    ...my post was more about the possibility of using the tv as a large monitor...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the room configuration, furnitures, if you can live with most tasks done on a smaller builtin screen and if the tv is used only for a subset. Gattonero mentionned basic needs and I guess this computer is not a work tool.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It really depends on the room configuration, furnitures, if you can live with most tasks done on a smaller builtin screen and if the tv is used only for a subset. Gattonero mentionned basic needs and I guess this computer is not a work tool.
    That's right, I don't have needs for a top PC, but to type onto a keyboard and look at the telly 8ft away feels very odd indeed. I've already tried, and surely I don;t want an HDMI cable running through the living room, it's size makes it impossible to tuck by the skirting board. Wireless or casting isn't an option: the audio lag is a no-no option.

On the other hand, it seems that DELL makes foldable stands on some of their AIO desktops, but it seems in the UK are priced higher than equivalent HP? (scratches head)
    I might as well go for this, looks bargain Buy the Certified Refurbished HP ProOne 6 G1 21.5" All-in-One PC at MicroDream.co.uk