User Tag List

Thread: Go to house wine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Go to house wine

Anyone have a house wine they always stock. I don't mean something you'll repeatedly buy on and off depending on vintage. For me I have a white that fits the bill, Downes Family Sauvignon Blanc. It's from South Africa and is blended with 10% Semilion. It's $15 a bottle so its in the price range of a house wine(for me at least).

Does anyone else have such a wine? By the way anyone else a huge fan of S.A. Whites? I learned about this from Stephen Tanzer and have been buying it now religiously for years. -Mike G

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Go to house wine

Cape Point sauvignon blanc... superb. Between 15-20 quid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Anyone have a house wine they always stock.
    I don't. I live in wineland so it would feel weird to always buy the same wine when there are so many different ones available and I have "phases".

Right now I am a sucker for red wines made with Cornalin grapes. So let's say Cornalin Hurlevent from Les Fils de Charles Favre. It may not be the best Cornalin but it is in the price range and the winery is only a short walk from home.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 05-27-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I don't. I live in wineland so it would feel weird to always buy the same wine when there are so many different ones available and I have "phases".

Right now I am a sucker for red wines made with Cornalin grapes. So let's say Cornalin Hurlevent from Les Fils de Charles Favre. It may not be the best Cornalin but it is in the price range and the winery is only a short walk from home.
    I do drink other whites, I have a favorite Vouvrey producer(Foreau), a Chablis producer(Fevre) but this is just in that price range and I have not found another Sauvignon Blanc I like as much, and I've tried plenty

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chalone has a Monterey vineyards chardonnay that is decent and enjoyable and not tiring at under $10.
    A good one for when you just want a glass of wine, and don't have to spend a lot of time thinking about it.
    Pinot is pretty good this way, too.
    Sauvignon from St. Bris is another place to look - Sauvignon with Chablis character (very close by).
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guinness.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a white whine I choose my children's incessant defiance to eat their vegetables. For the house red, I choose my wife's displeasure when I leave my dirty underwear on the bedroom floor. The WFSTEKL household is pretty well stocked with house whine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh dear. Sav Blanc. And on a forum we where fetish custom frames costing multi-thousand dollars. To draw an analogy...sav blanc (by and large) = department store bike. There are some decent examples, but by and large it is not great. Each to their own I guess!

That aside, a good go to wine is Mike Press Shiraz. Adelaide Hills fruit and really good value (AU$13 or $14)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like lithe, a bit of pointy elbows, more than a hint of jaw-flex---you know thin and sharp. And the taste of plowed fields through the Dolomite soil when I run my tongue along the hollows of the landscape. That is why I married her. In a bottle it is called Nebbiolo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are a beer household. Sierra Nevada Hazy or Dale's Pale are my house braus. While the wine we actually are likely to have around is 2 buck upchuck, If I had a wine like you were talking about it would be Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. A great red. Great with pizza. Always solid. 10-15/bottle. But I like Thomas' line about variety. There are so many, why have a house wine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We’re primarily a red wine and IPA household...the IPA is for me...and I always have a bottle or two of all day Rose and Pinot Grigio chilling in the fridge for Thai food and just because. Our favorite red at moment is a 2015 Northridge Barbara by Charles Smith...only 8 bottles left on the rack.

Wine – Wines of Substance
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I am in a restaurant, want a red wine and do not know anything about those available on the carte des vins I choose a red from the Puglia region in Italy. I have never beem deceived so far.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the local Fresh Market grocery store offers Gravelly Ford wines for $7 a piece. Pinot Grigio, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon and a Red Blend. All quite good for the price.

Believe it or not, Costco's "Kirkland Signature" wines are also to be recommended. Around $6-9$ a bottle, they are quite good for the money. Their Ti Point Sauvignon Blanc is very nice.

There's a Sauvignon Blanc called "Sincerely" that's pretty nice. I thought they should change the name to "Sancerrely" but that might cause trouble with the French.

For "serious" drinking, I head to my local wine shop but for "slugging wine", the above two suggestions can't be beat.

At my local wine shop, I tend to look for Kermit Miller's wines that he distributes. The owner of the shop is by now familiar with my tastes and she always has good recommendations; shame I can never remember them when I go back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erath Pino Noir

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pinot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    …..
    For "serious" drinking, I head to my local wine shop but for "slugging wine", the above two suggestions can't be beat.

At my local wine shop, I tend to look for Kermit Miller's wines that he distributes. The owner of the shop is by now familiar with my tastes and she always has good recommendations; shame I can never remember them when I go back.
    Maybe you mean Kermit Lynch. Just a guess. He imports very good and interesting wines. A wine with his name on it can be counted on to be, well, good and interesting.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My local wine shop has tastings every Friday and Saturday, so I taste before I buy. To me wines vary too much from year to year to have a house wine.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy