Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airline "Personal Item" Luggage

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Airline "Personal Item" Luggage

I have been using a Timbuk2 Robin, it looks dressy enough and I like the magnetic closures vs snappy buckles and velcro, but the flap-top design and lack of internal organization mean I get to dig through the opening to try to find things. Also when I use it with my "j-hook" (smart link strap from B&R) the dangly bits from the straps drag on the ground unless I tuck them in the side pockets. Also the material is quickly not looking as nice as it was new.

So I'm looking for some sort of personal bag that can also function as a backpack but also cruise attached to the luggage. I allso need space for full-size headphones. I am more of a fan of things that open up and have internal organization than things that have 20 zippers on the outside. Builtin padded space for 13" MBP and iPad. Roughly 18x10x10 inches or smaller. Something that doesn't have a ton of Molle webbing, leather patches, etc... Needs to be available in black.

So far top contenders are the B&R Sympatico and Relay, Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 18, and eBags Professional Slim (and maybe the leather version?). But haven't found any yet scream "that's it!".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airline "Personal Item" Luggage

Oh and I'm not opposed to a briefcase either, but being able to use it as a backpack would be nice occasionally and not sure they have enough space for all.

Here's my load out for my last trip:
    Travelrest pillow: https://www.amazon.com/Travelrest-In...dp/B001DYDAEK/
    Big Headphones
    MacBook Pro 13"
    iPad Pro 11"
    Apple Pencil
    Power adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Type-...dp/B07M97XGNZ/
    Thumb drive
    a couple pens/penciles
    Lysol Wipes
    Hand sanitizer
    "Dopp bag": https://www.amazon.com/Osprey-242001...dp/B00PKMXQNQ/
    Dopp bag could go in my overhead luggage, I just usually keep it for when I invariably end up needing to pull out liquids/gels/electronics it means only one item.
    Misc garbage: car keys, mints, vitamins, ear plugs, eye mask, etc...

The travelrest and headphones are probably the bulkiest. I ditch the travelrest in business class but it's the only way I can sleep in steerage -- most other pillow type things make me too hot. Headphones need to come even though I also have some nice in ear monitors that block sound.

I really liked the Peak messenger bag, but it's not in black and I'm not sure how great it would look in a suit...not that a backpack is much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Two - When I carry both my 15" macbook pro and 12.9" ipad on a plane I use a Greenroom136 Bootstrap in Medium : Greenroom136 Official Online Store . Honestly it makes the most sense of any bag I have owned for carrying that much stuff.

I travel most of the time with my 12.9" iPad in a Tom Bihn Daylight, Daylight Briefcase - Briefcases - Every Day Carry – TOM BIHN I carry headphones, chargers, cables, etc in that. But to make my life easier, I put it inside my Patagonia MLC and only take it out moments before boarding. I think the Daylight looks good enough for important meetings or carrying around town.

Hope that helps.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The green room custom stuff looks nice as they can put the fidlocks on for me as I am not a fan of the fastex buckles. Their backpacks look interesting too.

Bihn makes some nice bags but I am generally more of a fan of the padded laptop slot than the removable sleeve. Maybe I need to rethink that as I have been winning in the special screening department lately when returning to the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spend a lot of time sitting in the back of airplanes and this is one of the best products I’ve ever owned. Mine isn’t identical but it’s very similar and is high quality, holds a ton of useful stuff and most importantly, fits under the seat in front of me, meaning I can access it in flight without having to stand up and rummage around the overhead bin.

Highly recommended as a “personal item”.

Holistic Flight Tote
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Highly recommended as a “personal item”.

Holistic Flight Tote
    Saab...do you know anything about their suiters as my trusty old TravelPro is about ready for that overhead bin in the sky...no pun intended.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Saab...do you know anything about their suiters as my trusty old TravelPro is about ready for that overhead bin in the sky...no pun intended.
    Suiters? Suit bags? Not familiar.... I own the crew roll aboard bag and this little personal bag for my flight tools (headset, iPad, flashlight, etc) as well as my personal iPad, Bose QC35 and a bevy of charging cables, a spare battery, charging adapters and all my personal documents.

No suit bag here.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Not Saab, but my Briggs & Riley Baseline International 2 wheel is awesome. One of the only international sized ones that comes with the suiter fold gadget in the lid. Works great with my suits, but my suits aren't particularly wide (40 US). Service Temporarily Unavailable

The warranty is bulletproof, using it is painless, and the bag functions very well. They advertise it as expandable but it is really more "compressible". See 8:45 here:

The only downside to it (and most others as well) is if you are on an ultra low cost carrier with 6kg limits, it weighs in at ~4kg itself (Travel Pro Crew is comparable weight). But flying Lufthansa, BA, or any of the other European higher tier airlines it has never been questioned or an issue.

LW doesn't have a top reputation these days as it seems they have farmed their stuff out to the lower cost manufacturers - but might be worthwhile for a tote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Stolen from the briefcase thread I found WaterField. Their air porter looks good, just not sure I want to drop that coin only to figure out it wasn’t quite what I wanted. Air Porter Carry-On Bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Two View Post
    I have been using a Timbuk2 Robin, it looks dressy enough and I like the magnetic closures vs snappy buckles and velcro, but the flap-top design and lack of internal organization mean I get to dig through the opening to try to find things. Also when I use it with my "j-hook" (smart link strap from B&R) the dangly bits from the straps drag on the ground unless I tuck them in the side pockets. Also the material is quickly not looking as nice as it was new.

So I'm looking for some sort of personal bag that can also function as a backpack but also cruise attached to the luggage. I allso need space for full-size headphones. I am more of a fan of things that open up and have internal organization than things that have 20 zippers on the outside. Builtin padded space for 13" MBP and iPad. Roughly 18x10x10 inches or smaller. Something that doesn't have a ton of Molle webbing, leather patches, etc... Needs to be available in black.

So far top contenders are the B&R Sympatico and Relay, Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 18, and eBags Professional Slim (and maybe the leather version?). But haven't found any yet scream "that's it!".
    I have the ebags professional slim which fits the bill except for the many zippers. I do not love it as it does not have space for bulky items (if, for example, I wanted to throw a sweater inside, then room for there is not much room left for my admittedly obnoxiously large Bose QC headphones; gym clothes/shoes are also a hard no with this bag). But it works really well if I just have laptop, ipad, headphones, chargers and some work documents/papers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the Tumi Alpha Bravo Aviano Slim. Which is a stupid name, and I had to hunt through their site to figure out exactly what it was:

Aviano Slim Brief - Alpha Bravo - Tumi United States - Graphite

It has a couple zips on the back that open to create a pouch to slide over the handle of your roll aboard luggage, making it easy to tote through the airport. It is slim, so not good for stuffing with lots of things, but it will fit my 13" MacBook (with room for a 15"), chargers, Sennheiser noise cancelling headphones, and a small notebook. An iPad would easily fit in the notebook pocket if that's your thing. There is a magnetically closed pocket on the front that is perfect for dropping your phone in prior to walking through security.

It won't fit much else - like a Dopp kit for example. But I leave the Dopp in my roll aboard, I haven't had to take it out for years now after getting TSA PreCheck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

people shouldn't be allowed to bring anything on an airplane. they should make you change into TSA issued flannel pajamas and even check your underwear through. there is no reason for anyone to bring a tenth the shit they bring inside the planes except for the airlines charging people checked bag fees.

without luggage security would be 100 times faster- with TSA issues pajamas there wouldn't need to be security.

i wish i was only kind of joking.....
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig, I want to walk into the airport, be scanned, and then drugged so that I'm unconscious until I reach my destination. Scan me, drug me, and I fall into a box. I'd be happy to change into TSA issued pajamas beforehand.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Craig, I want to walk into the airport, be scanned, and then drugged so that I'm unconscious until I reach my destination. Scan me, drug me, and I fall into a box. I'd be happy to change into TSA issued pajamas beforehand.
    Now well off topic, but this just reminded me of the Stephen King short story "The Jaunt". Summarized briefly on the relevant wikipedia page. I was way too young when I read it, and it seriously freaked me out. Still does, but probably more because I remember how scared I was then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they should weigh the person with their bags. Just saying.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I completely expect to be weighed using my method. Charge me by weight, and also get my dosing correct...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Me too! I am just over 100 lbs and I have sat next to many people who weigh more than I do, with my bags. It would be one of the few times where being small would be a bonus.
    Joni Taylor * TEXmarket-USA * www.texmarket-usa.com
    Build to order, European Production of Cycling, Running and Triathlon Apparel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know there's an organization out there that is actively pursuing just the opposite -- that people who take up two seats are still *one* person and should only be charged as one person.

NAAFA. Scary stuff.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast