I’ve been out of the skiing game for a few years and going back down that rabbit hole now that the kids are able to ski. The gear has changed a bit since my last purchase back in ‘92!

I have dual interests: downhill at your traditional ‘resort’ with groomed trails, lifts etc and I’d like to be able to do some light touring. By touring I mean some skinning to the top of a hill and riding back down. Most of the activity will be on groomed lift served trails with my family.

For those that have experience in this area, are the alpine touring bindings where the heel can be released for skinning suitable for resort- style skiing? Or is this an N+1 problem ( meaning I’d be better off with traditional alpine bindings and skis + a cross country rig) ?

I suppose the same question applies to boots. I ask because sometimes multitasking solutions don’t to any one thing well but if I can buy one rig for both and be happy that would be a win. I’ve seen people running AT gear on resort mountains, but they could just be nuts!! Need some advice from those with real life experience.

Thanks