User Tag List

Thread: Name Seals

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Name Seals

I'd love to see custom frames come with a certificate signed using one of these things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Name Seals

Our company seal was made by a third generation master seal maker called Kei Koizumi in Kyoto. His son has formally taken over the business that trades under the name Koizumi Konando. What is astounding about the elder Koizumi, as well as his wife, (I have not had the opportunity to meet his son) is how humble he is despite his accomplishments and the accolades he has received over the years, including a citation by the emperor.

What is interesting to me personally is that the trade blurs the line between craft and art. I am very clear about the distinction between the two. However, the basis for the craft of seal making is calligraphy, which I consider art. I don't think craft and art are necessarily mutually exclusive, but it can make the conversation a little more complex...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    What is interesting to me personally is that the trade blurs the line between craft and art. I am very clear about the distinction between the two. However, the basis for the craft of seal making is calligraphy, which I consider art. I don't think craft and art are necessarily mutually exclusive, but it can make the conversation a little more complex...
    Oh, I love conversations like this. There's a distinct line between craft and art in my mind but it seems like the closer an object/piece gets to that line the harder it is to differentiate between the two. I don't know too much about shodo but it is one of those creative forms that is inherently "blurry" (not the case with calligraphy and other letter craft I see in West).

That video is super rad btw.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Oh, I love conversations like this. There's a distinct line between craft and art in my mind but it seems like the closer an object/piece gets to that line the harder it is to differentiate between the two. I don't know too much about shodo but it is one of those creative forms that is inherently "blurry" (not the case with calligraphy and other letter craft I see in West).

That video is super rad btw.
    I agree that calligraphy in Japan and China is fundamentally different from western calligraphy and typography. That said, they are similar in the sense that they are both rabbit holes: once you start geeking out about one, there's no end to it. :)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ericpmoss. I swear every video you post sends me into a video watching spiral! They are all interesting. I'm still showing friends the ones you posted about umbrellas and tree houses a while back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great video, thanks! I love the old school production choices (the music!) that you find in series like this, as well as the presentation styles. Reminds me of the good old Connections series I was once hooked on.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast