User Tag List

Thread: MTailor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default MTailor

Looks like one of the many online only clothing houses with a fit twist. Anyone tried this? How did it go?

MTailor

Measurement Made Easy

Put your phone down and in under 30 seconds our machine learning algorithms measure 17 different points for clothes that are 20% more accurate than a professional tailor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MTailor

That's some next level Tomfoolery there bucko.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is totally NEXT LEVEL!
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just don't know why you need machine learning for that, other than to get VC money.

Building a 3d model from 2d images isn't new (did some work on that ~10 years ago): basically, if you can find a the same point in the real world in two digital images, you can find where that point is in the 3d space shot by solving a system of linear equations that describe the line from the point in the real world to the pixel in the camera's sensor (you can think of it as the opposite of drawing 3d computer images, where you have a model of a 3d space, and you figure out how it translates to a 2d image).

Solve enough of those equations, you have a pretty good 3d model of the subject.

Now use that 3d model to design a shirt – that could either be done the old fashion way, by simple set of rules (for an arm length of X, cut a sleeve length f(X)), or you can model the shirt as extrusion on of the 3d image of the body, and generate a template from there -- easily solvable considering you can approximation to cms rather than micrometers.

Adding ML (which is basically another set of linear equations, but I digress) makes no sense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

snotrockets ... thanks for the technical insight. in posting, I was also interested in that its one thing to have an idea, its another to implement it successfully. My question about MTailor is whether they achieved a good complete thought. From all the elements including scanning, "printing", assembly, and material choices; did they get it all together for a nice product or its a cool idea but the final product leaves the consumer unsatisfied? As a person whose shoulders fit a large while sleeve length and height say small to medium, buying clothing can be an expensive and unsatisfying endeavor. the idea of a scan and print scenario sounds interesting. no one tried a t-shirt to see how it fits?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why someone would: starting at $90 per shirt, they're not much cheaper than a (non-computerized) tailor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll stick with Proper Cloth Custom Dress Shirts - Proper Cloth. It took 3 iterations including a chat exchange where the human being on the other end nailed the modifications from bad bathroom mirror selfies to fit my odd shaped shoulders (left lower than right) and now I have a perfect pattern in their database.

Just pick a fabric a decide on pockets, buttons, placket and other details and something wonderful shows up in a week or two max.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is how I get my prostate checks done now. Only way my insurance will cover them.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This is how I get my prostate checks done now. Only way my insurance will cover them.
    #rimshot

Moving on.